Remove Advertisements

More questions. about resilience v defense.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

More questions. about resilience v defense.

Postby defeated » Thu May 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Well i was busy reading some info over at tankspot, and realized that ciderhelm the MT in many of their videos there is rocking a 30 stam and resil shoulder enchant, and i take a look at his defense, and whoah, not 540, so i begin to wonder if its due to the resilience.

My question (which i have tried looking elsewhere and have seen very little information or info with very good theoretical backing) is does resilience really help in PVE as a stat to keep from being crit? I forget the exact % that bossed have to crit you, but for EH in tanking would an enchant with +30 stam and resil be a better choice over the exalted rep faction sons of hodir enchant for tanking?

Lastly i just noticed that defense reduces your chance to be hit, does that mean if i stack some defense, i actually will be missed more often?
defeated

Re: More questions. about resilience v defense.

Postby Jasari » Thu May 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Resilience does reduce your chance to be crit in PvE.

Defense does reduce your chance to be hit in PvE.
Jasari

Postby Nadir » Thu May 28, 2009 1:25 pm

In terms of reaching crit immunity, I believe the resilience shoulder is the equivalent of ~22 defense rating rounding down.
Nadir

Postby defeated » Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Well then obviously you can switch out the resilience one for the Exalted rep one, now the question is since i can do it, should i?
defeated

Postby Nadir » Thu May 28, 2009 1:41 pm

I personally use the 30 stamina, 15 resilience enchant. Even at 46k raid buffed HP, I still don't feel that I'm in the safe zone to take two blocked attacks in a row plus High Voltage from Steelbreaker.
Nadir

Postby Jasari » Fri May 29, 2009 6:06 am

If you need the +15 resil to remain uncrittable, I can see some merit to the 30 stam/15 resil enchant.

But if you're over 540 defense from the rest of your gear, you're basically trading 30 stamina for 20 dodge and 15 defense which is a huge downgrade from an item points perspective. There are definitely special circumstances where stamina valued much higher than anything else... Sarth 3D MT for example. But generally speaking the dodge/defense inscription is much better in my opinion.
Jasari

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Jasari wrote:But if you're over 540 defense from the rest of your gear, you're basically trading 30 stamina for 20 dodge and 15 defense which is a huge downgrade from an item points perspective. There are definitely special circumstances where stamina valued much higher than anything else... Sarth 3D MT for example. But generally speaking the dodge/defense inscription is much better in my opinion.

Yeah, you're basically losing 15 rating points worth of budget if you don't need the resilience. You're probably better off ignoring some socket bonuses and gemming more for stamina if you haven't.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby cougbait » Sun May 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Nadir wrote:In terms of reaching crit immunity, I believe the resilience shoulder is the equivalent of ~22 defense rating rounding down.

so this means if you have the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44957 then you can and your at 542 def... means you can swap out another enchant such as http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47766 for the +10 stats and be under 540 but still uncrittable. so swaping the shoulder enchant will actually gain you 40stam plus 10 to all other stats?
cougbait

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:16 am

Jasari wrote:If you need the +15 resil to remain uncrittable, I can see some merit to the 30 stam/15 resil enchant.

But if you're over 540 defense from the rest of your gear, you're basically trading 30 stamina for 20 dodge and 15 defense which is a huge downgrade from an item points perspective. There are definitely special circumstances where stamina valued much higher than anything else... Sarth 3D MT for example. But generally speaking the dodge/defense inscription is much better in my opinion.

Don't forget to account for scaling. We get no scaling from defense and dodge, but scaling from Stamina in a few places. The real enchant would probably still win, but not by as much of a margin.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Nadir » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:46 pm

cougbait wrote:
Nadir wrote:In terms of reaching crit immunity, I believe the resilience shoulder is the equivalent of ~22 defense rating rounding down.

so this means if you have the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44957 then you can and your at 542 def... means you can swap out another enchant such as http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47766 for the +10 stats and be under 540 but still uncrittable. so swaping the shoulder enchant will actually gain you 40stam plus 10 to all other stats?

Yes, this is what I do. I believe you can drop all the way down to the upper boundary of 535 defense skill. I favor 275 HP over 10 to all stats, but to each his own.
Nadir

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations