Remove Advertisements

Sudden burst damage spikes

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Sudden burst damage spikes

Postby Vedge » Sat May 23, 2009 5:44 am

When i was tanking Ulduar 25 last Wednesday and Thursday i noticed some bosses did sudden damage spikes to me. The swings were very fast after eachother and the dmg was almost twice the average(which pretty much got me killed). It happened in the most boss attempts where i was MT'ing, and these spikes greatly reduce my credibility as a MT.

Our realm is experiencing alot of lag issues during the raids, so at first i thought the lag was causing it. Later i found out that the other paldin tank in the guild was experiencing the same problem.(Being gibbed by the boss with 2 fast and powerful melee strikes) Still, our warrior tank didnt have such problems.

The bosses i'm talking about are Ignis and Runemaster Molgeim(Iron counsil). They both usually hit for around 16-22k. That strange burst damamge was for around 30-34k. I would understand if 2 fast strikes were "parry-gibbles"(i was told though that parry haste is turned off for hard hitting bosses. Dont know for sure), but cant figure out what caused the high damage.

Did any of you experience this in any boss encounter? And is it true that parry haste is turned off for hard hitting bosses?

P.S i have 32 expertise(not rating) and 31%dodge raid buffed, 18.7% parry. My armory link is in the signature.
Imagehttp://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Vedge
Vedge

Re: Sudden burst damage spikes

Postby Varmin » Sat May 23, 2009 5:54 am

Runemaster has a spell that he casts ("Shield Rune" I think), that puts a shield on himself. If the shield is broken before someone purges/dispells it, it gives him a 50% dmg buff (sometimes you just can't grab it in time). Ignis's dmg ramps up from adds being out. Other than that I don't know of anything that would make them hasten their attacks. Though it's likely both mobs do parry haste ,as they don't hit nearly as hard as some of the other bosses.
Varmin

Postby Vedge » Sat May 23, 2009 7:38 am

Neither is the case. There wern't more than 2 constructs on Ignis at any point, and a mage was assigned to spellsteal the shield off Runemaster. He wasnt standng in the blue Rune of Power either.
Vedge

Postby Levantine » Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 am

Ask if the mage was doing his job. Runemaster gibbed two tanks (and then most of the melee x.x) in one attempt because not one of the mages, shaman or priests were paying attention in our latest kill.
Levantine

Postby Salamandra » Sat May 23, 2009 9:29 am

While it's certainly much better if Runemaster's shield is purged before it gets removed by damage, you really shouldn't have anyone gibbed by it if it isn't. It's only particularly dangerous if it's combined with Rune of Power, and you shouldn't get meleed even once while it's in that, since it has a cast time and you can just run away from him when he casts it.
Salamandra

Postby Doxa » Sun May 24, 2009 9:01 am

Varmin wrote:Runemaster has a spell that he casts ("Shield Rune" I think)...

Also, Rune of Power. You need to move him outta the rune ground effect to remove the buff. I learned that the hard way.
Tanking Trash on Doxa with Consecration(Rank3) Since 2007, on Doxah with Thunderclap since 2009 and on Doxeh with Death and Decay since 2010

Meanwhile, pulling DPS from fire with life-grip on Enlight and throwing lightning on Pneuma.
Doxa
Maintankadonor

Postby Vedge » Thu May 28, 2009 3:21 am

I found out what was causing the spikes. It was poor fps on some fights and lag. Last night i was MT'ing all those bosses again and we were lucky not to have lag at all. Just to make sure i reduced all the graphics setting to minimum and floating around 200 fps had no problems at all.

Topic closed i guess
Vedge

Postby rokkon » Thu May 28, 2009 6:45 am

Ahh good to see you got it resolved.

I was going to say also make sure you don't have another pally overwriting your judgment, which would make thunderjudge fall off.
rokkon

Postby Jasari » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 am

lol @ 200fps
Jasari

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations