Remove Advertisements

Hobbs way of pulling

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Hobbs way of pulling

Postby Jasari » Tue May 19, 2009 10:50 am

Spectrum wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:It's also a bit questionable why he doesn't post on these very forums as well.

Obviously, if you don't have 500+ posts on Maintankadin then you're doing it wrong.

Of course, that time could probably be better spent actually playing the game...

If he had 500+ posts on maintankadin I seriously doubt he would still be gemmed and glyphed the way he is. That's not to say this is the only way to get information and insight into paladin tanking, but it is a great resource.

Hobbs isn't a progression oriented Paladin tank so he isn't really doing anything inherently wrong. His set up is not ideal, but for his goals in the game, which I assume to be casual raiding and having fun, he can accomplish that without doing any in depth theorycrafting or research.

Would he be better off reading through a few of the guides on this site?
Of course.

Does he deserve to be heckled or made fun of for spending his time making entertaining videos rather than researching and min/maxing?
Of course not.

The last question wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and I'm definitely guilty of making fun of other paladins who aren't spec'd, gemmed, or enchanted, the way I think it correct. But my point is that Hobbs makes videos that can definitely help a new player out, even if he's doing some things sub optimally.
Jasari

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 19, 2009 10:51 am

Spectrum wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:It's also a bit questionable why he doesn't post on these very forums as well.

Obviously, if you don't have 500+ posts on Maintankadin then you're doing it wrong.

Of course, that time could probably be better spent actually playing the game...

???

It could be that he trolls the boards, never posts, and we'd never know it. But do you really think that after reading through the math in the posts available on here that somebody would actually go and socket a solid parry gem? So yes, I made an assumption that he doesn't read this board based on his gems. I don't care if you think it's a massive leap of faith, it still stands to reason that somebody sure didn't do their research.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Conaan! » Tue May 19, 2009 11:28 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Spectrum wrote:

???

It could be that he trolls the boards, never posts, and we'd never know it. But do you really think that after reading through the math in the posts available on here that somebody would actually go and socket a solid parry gem? So yes, I made an assumption that he doesn't read this board based on his gems. I don't care if you think it's a massive leap of faith, it still stands to reason that somebody sure didn't do their research.

sadly yes, i know one too many pallies on my server that gem like the window lickers clothe themselves, even though they claim to read this site
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am

Torquemada wrote:He probably is more newbie friendly, and that's probably the intent of his videos.

I think that is a good point. I don't watch him for "how to tank", but "how to AOE farm". It's entertaining, and he clearly has it down somewhat pat. All I need to do is actually DO it for some period of time, and I'll be set, lol. Beats fishing, at least.
Kelaan

Postby Rothifer » Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 pm

I was introduced to Wow by a fellow worker and he explained briefly about each class (as I think back, he never mentioned paladins) His main was a mage so he was incredibly biased and I ended up getting my mage to 70 and raiding.

So while raiding in MH without a pally, we had a few wipes and the GM/RL said in vent "Why are none of you pally tanks?". I didn't get it. I was still newish to the game so I looked up some pally stuff and how they worked. When I lvled up my mage, I made a few alts just to get a change of pace and one was a paladin. Spec was wrong, gear was wrong and it was pathetic.

While searching for information on alla, wow forums and EJ I came across a link about farming low level instances as a paladin tank. Hobbs isn't end game. He has fun going to Cath and pulling the entire instance in one pull. Can new players learn about endgame from hobbs? No but it can at the very least teach some new pally tanks about the class.

Raiding is great and all but sometimes you can't do it and I think a lot of new pally tanks should take a page from hobbs book and go pull Cath. It got me thinking about all of our abilities and how I could use them in any situation. It taught me when to pop what, taught me situational awareness blah blah blah.

Hobbs has fun so he is doin it right bad spec/gems/enchants or not. You won't learn about min/max from him but from the videos I have seen, he doesn't say anything about it. Just "this ability is nice for this". Imo, give the guy a break. Not everyone is endgame.
Too much talking here and not enough tanking. Stop the bitching and get tanking.

Barathorn
Rothifer

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Conaan! wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Spectrum wrote:Obviously, if you don't have 500+ posts on Maintankadin then you're doing it wrong.

???

sadly yes, i know one too many pallies on my server that gem like the window lickers clothe themselves, even though they claim to read this site

But... but... that just makes them dumber! If they claim to read this site, and still gem improperly then they're actively stupid. They read the math and decided they were smarter? :shock: That's actually worse than not having done the research in the first place.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue May 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Could be worse; there's a guy on my server who gems for Expertise. Gotta love his 30% BR too.
Last edited by Invisusira on Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Invisusira wrote:Could be worse; there's a guy on my server who put Expertise gems in his red slots.

Wannabe warrior?

Edit: Expertise AND hit gem.

Given the gear they're wearing, this depresses me greatly. :(
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm

I watched the farming in icecrown video and I was not impressed at all. he made like what, a little over 100g from coin drops, 80g from vendortrash, 6 stacks of cloth (@ 7/stack according to his vid) so 42g in cloth, and a handful of DE's/potions?

subtract a 20g repair bill and what, he makes like 300g/hour conservative guess?

You could probably beat that doing dailies.

I think i'd rather scan the AH for 10 minutes, cut some metas/rubies, make some glyphs, make some netherweave bags and then fap for half an hour and still make more gold/hour than this guy does sweating for an hour aoegrinding mobs...
Chunes

Postby bub64882 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Chunes wrote:I watched the farming in icecrown video and I was not impressed at all. he made like what, a little over 100g from coin drops, 80g from vendortrash, 6 stacks of cloth (@ 7/stack according to his vid) so 42g in cloth, and a handful of DE's/potions?

subtract a 20g repair bill and what, he makes like 300g/hour conservative guess?

You could probably beat that doing dailies.

I think i'd rather scan the AH for 10 minutes, cut some metas/rubies, make some glyphs, make some netherweave bags and then fap for half an hour and still make more gold/hour than this guy does sweating for an hour aoegrinding mobs...

Well, AOE'ing undead seems more fun, except the fap part. ;)
bub64882

Postby Chunes » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

touche.

this is a game after all, I suppose i should be having fun playing it ;)
Chunes

Postby Conaan! » Tue May 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Invisusira wrote:Could be worse; there's a guy on my server who gems for Expertise. Gotta love his 30% BR too.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... g&n=Frever

currently in his ret set, with sundial of the exalted....
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Chunes wrote:I watched the farming in icecrown video and I was not impressed at all. he made like what, a little over 100g from coin drops, 80g from vendortrash, 6 stacks of cloth (@ 7/stack according to his vid) so 42g in cloth, and a handful of DE's/potions?

When he farmed with his druid friend, they made a fair amount from plain lootage, but also had a lot more things to DE. Your'e right, AH-play (like the Greedy Goblin does ;)) is Better, but not everyone has the patience to do that. Farming this way seems to be more enjoyable and lucrative than dailies, if his profit reportings in the video are correct.
Kelaan

Postby Florisia » Wed May 20, 2009 9:32 am

Kelaan wrote:

When he farmed with his druid friend, they made a fair amount from plain lootage, but also had a lot more things to DE. Your'e right, AH-play (like the Greedy Goblin does ;)) is Better, but not everyone has the patience to do that. Farming this way seems to be more enjoyable and lucrative than dailies, if his profit reportings in the video are correct.

That, and you can do it as well as dailies. You've only got 25 daillies a day to do, and you can knock a lot of those out simultaneously thanks to half of Icecrown's quests overlapping each other. I knock out my dailies, then go grinding for whatever amount of time you have to waste. I was lucky on my very latest run with my guildies(the guild master on his mage and my rogue friend), and we dropped a BoE epic shoulder piece, which is going to net us a nice chunk of change.

No reason you can't do both. :)
Florisia

Postby Levantine » Thu May 21, 2009 3:47 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Could be worse; there's a guy on my server who put Expertise gems in his red slots.

Wannabe warrior?

Edit: Expertise AND hit gem.

Given the gear they're wearing, this depresses me greatly. :(

Heyheyhey. Hit has a purpose. It's your second most powerful threat stat, and has psychological side benefit of increasing the rate at which things connect. Also taunt. Missed taunts blow hard.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations