Hobbs way of pulling

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Hobbs way of pulling

Postby Medvih2 » Sun May 17, 2009 6:02 am

Ive been playing alot of classes alot of them @ 70 and now i have a 80 hunter and my pala at 75.
Ive been watching Hobbs since day one and now i wanna do it! I really want some advice to how I can do like hobbs?

And some fun ideas to do!

Hope you can help me :)

Played on The Maelstrom since launch!
Medvih2

Re: Hobbs way of pulling

Postby majiben » Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 am

Don't be?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Panzerdin » Sun May 17, 2009 6:26 am

Don't be like Hobbs, be like Invisusira - a force for good who rescues kittens!

Click here to see how.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Torquemada » Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Stormreaver&cn=Hobbs&gn=Recycled+Heroes
I'm not normally the kind of person to critique gear/talents/glyphs. I'm more prone to have a polite conversation about theorycrafting and what the consensus of the community is. But HoJ and SA as glyphs over something like, oh, Divine Plea at a point when it should at least be on every Auction House by now? And no JotJ? Really? REALLY?
Torquemada

Postby Soralin » Sun May 17, 2009 9:01 am

That's a nice 16 Parry gem in his neck too.
Soralin

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 17, 2009 9:25 am

I support this message.

Hobbs is a Nice Guy™, but his 10,000,000 subscriptions are from him putting "MASSIVE GOLD AND POWER LEVELING!!!!" in the titles of all his early movies. Not from him actually being a player you want to look to for end-game advice.
Invisusira

Postby Florisia » Sun May 17, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm inclined to agree. Hobbs.. seems like a nice guy, but I couldn't see him as a "tanking mentor." The dude's got some interesting ways to farm things, though. He put out an Ice Crown video recently that's actually got me AOE grinding again. Go figure.
Florisia

Postby Jasari » Mon May 18, 2009 6:04 am

Watch his videos for entertainment, not for advice. He knows how to have fun in the game and help beginning players out. If you have any interest in serious raiding or optimizing your character you need to look somewhere else. Similarly, a brand new player who just dinged level 10 would probably get more out of watching one of Hobbs' videos than reading one of the 20+ page theorycrafting threads here.
Jasari

Postby Torquemada » Mon May 18, 2009 6:43 am

I saw the parry gem but I didn't want to start trolling and hating that much. I'm a stamina whore, and as much as I like to say I'm gemming for EH I know what I'm really doing is inflating my epeen to stay in the 33k club.

Having said that he took the time to make videos on how to do it, and I commend him for it. He probably is more newbie friendly, and that's probably the intent of his videos. But I find Invis' much cooler, and I don't have the time, the software, or the talent to make anything like those myself. I've debated getting fraps but I don't find it worth it paying for it when there are already better resources out there between Invis, Tankspot, et al.

I like that people are out there showing the Pally tanking is a good and viable option for soloing and raids, but we've known that. If the message continues to get out to folks who aren't hardcore raiders, good. I remember TBC when I had to explain to PuGs that I wasn't the healer and I wasn't DPS, and watch them drool when they realized I had over 15k health.
Torquemada

Postby Belarkan » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 am

What's that video from hobbs ?
Belarkan

Postby badgermonkey » Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 am

I like Hobbs and I watch his videos. He's not anywere near a great player, but seems like a great guy, and he gets his fun out of boosting people, which is nice :)

Shame he doesn't know any tanking theory ;)
badgermonkey

Postby Flipthebird » Mon May 18, 2009 10:05 am

Hobbs way of pulling, and end-game playing is totally different.

Most of Hobbs videos are how to pull massive amounts of mobs and survive it. Not about how to be the best end-game Tankadin.

I watched his videos while leveling and it helped alot. I do not watch his videos to learn how to actually tank an instance/raid. FOr those I watch Invis' ;)
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Chasey » Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 am

I really dont get Hobbs set up either. Some of his choice leave you scratching your head. But I guess if it works for him, So be it.

I would not use this as a model on gemming and enchanting choice IMO. There are a few better guilds floating around here.
Best of luck.
Chasey

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 am

Soralin wrote:That's a nice 16 Parry gem in his neck too.

LOL!

Oh dear...

My friends and boyfriend all watched his videos (and none of them had paladins at the time) and quite enjoyed his method of storytelling his techniques. I never really got into the videos but sort of listened whenever they were playing on my boyfriend's computer. I never even once thought to inspect the guy and assumed he knew what he was doing. But after looking at his gems and glyphs... I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. People that well known... I'd've hoped they would do more research because you just know that loads of up and coming paladins are going to be duplicating him as best they can, simply because they don't know better.

It's also a bit questionable why he doesn't post on these very forums as well.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am

Nikachelle wrote:It's also a bit questionable why he doesn't post on these very forums as well.

Obviously, if you don't have 500+ posts on Maintankadin then you're doing it wrong.

Of course, that time could probably be better spent actually playing the game...
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations