Ulduar hard modes and how to approach them

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Ulduar hard modes and how to approach them

Postby Aubade » Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 am

I'm not sure how you're geared due to armory being down for me ATM, but check my gear, i'm an avoidance whore =[

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... eathwingsz
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Conaan! » Wed May 20, 2009 11:02 am

Panzerdin wrote:I'm actually partially correct on any encounter, it's just that it isn't feasible to calculate whether a given value of EH is of benefit or not, and how often.

no, because any encounter except for patch, theres more than just tank damage, so being topped off instantly all the time is not gonna always happen, for example, thorim hard mode
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby The Puppet Master » Wed May 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice and points of view provided in this thread, it's been very insightful. It seems the thread actually managed to spark a little more in-depth conversation about what kind of a role effective health plays in the current raids, and intelligent discussion is always good.

Thanks to having some luck on the last few days and spending some gold and dkp on runed orbs to craft my belt, I have managed to balance my stats to be a bit more tilted towards avoidance without losing too much health.

I managed to replace my 10-man Malygos quest reward neck with the Titanstone Pendant, my belt with the Indestructible Plate Girdle, which in turn allowed me to switch my chest to the tier 8 one. This, in turn, allowed me to switch my 10-man tier 8 shoulders back to tier 7 ones, regaining some lost defense via the gem socket, not losing too much stamina, and replacing block value and rating with avoidance stats.

Now I'm at nearly 55% character sheet avoidance, going towards 60% with mark of the wild, kings, agi food, and the like. I'm still a bit below the hit cap (well, more than a bit) but that hasn't hurt my threat much (if at all). Partly thanks to my Boreal Guard getting a buff in the patch, partly thanks to the new items I acquired in the reset (Heart of Iron booya!), I managed to break the 46k raid buffed health barrier, and actually went over 47k, close to 47,5k, with full buffs including a talented shout. I've also got a healthy amount of armour, and having enough threat is still a non-issue. I might even be getting some t8 upgrades and something else along the way during this reset, since we still have a lot of bosses left.

Along with us getting a new cooldown in the hopefully not-so-distant future, I can only say.. Bring it on, hard modes. I'm more than ready.
Tanking since Seal of Fury, dps'ing since Arcanite Champion

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Trystan
The Puppet Master

Postby Panzerdin » Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Conaan! wrote:
Panzerdin wrote:I'm actually partially correct on any encounter, it's just that it isn't feasible to calculate whether a given value of EH is of benefit or not, and how often.

no, because any encounter except for patch, theres more than just tank damage, so being topped off instantly all the time is not gonna always happen, for example, thorim hard mode

No. EH is a non-linear progression, but the steps are so small and unevenly distributed that they can't be calculated.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations