Frost Resist Gear

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Frost Resist Gear

Postby Steve » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 pm

I use 3 pieces of FR gear for 417 total resistance (with aura) and solo tank Hodir 25 and have done so since the first time we tried him (I think I had 2 pieces of Ulduar 25 gear, 0 Ulduar 10).

The end result is a large amount of lost avoidance, a large amount of lost strength, and a significant gain in health. The lost avoidance turns into significantly more damage over time, but I doubt the healers notice any added spikes.

The extra health is pretty handy, but frozen blows are only hitting for roughly 15K on average with that resistance.

The thing you'll miss most is the strength. DPS can get pretty high especially if you are acceptably decent at getting your melee into the light beams. And our spell dps doesn't seem particularly adept at getting the singes up on the boss to help me out.

It seems like I'm usually taunting off some elemental shaman in the first minute or so of the fight. After that things are fine.

I would say after Flame Leviathan, my guild considers Hodir to be the easiest fight in the place. We're a pretty mediocre guild talent wise (we raid 12 hours a week and really only now can down all 4 keepers reliably within 3 attempts), so that may be more evidence the single tank strategy is the best one.
Steve

Postby Mozen » Fri May 15, 2009 5:03 pm

theckhd wrote:Configurations (Y=16 def, G = 8 def / 12 stam, R = 8 def / 8 dodge, B = 24 stam)
Also, this was all done in a vacuum; if you are willing to swap a few other items of equal ilvl around to maintain 540 defense, you'll almost certainly be better off going with 3Y + 3R + 2B, which I didn't model because it drops me below the defense minimum.

I went with the 3Y+3R+2B configuration, swapping in my good old reliable Titanium Earthguard Ring to make up for the defense deficit, allowing me to sit at exactly 540 (690 rating). But that leaves me at 90 hit rating, so...I'm not sure I want to tank a raid boss with only 90 hit rating.

With progression I'd imagine we could have a good amount of avoidance with all three pieces. Although all the Hodir achievements seem to be dps fights, making threat a key element. Perhaps with three pieces we could two-heal it? Dunno, our healers are already stretched thin three-healing this encounter with our warrior three-piece solo-tanking.
Mozen

Postby bashef » Sun May 17, 2009 6:10 am

Also, while it's easy to know when he gains frozen blows, it's harder to know when he losses it. I ended up solo tanking him through a whole normal phase our first time seeing him and didn't know it until I saw a second message saying he gained frozen blows and every week after that we've just had me solo tank him on 10 man. On 25 man I'm not sure it's viable without a second tank without significant uldar gearing.

It definitely is - our first Hodir 25 kill I solo tanked in full FR gear, and I never came close to dying. It meant we could have our warrior tank go DPS and our bear go tree, making the whole kill much smoother, and nobody else needed any frost resist at all save a pally aura.
bashef

Postby Legionp » Sun May 17, 2009 1:49 pm

I've healed this fight on 25 man with our Druid solo tanking with 3 pieces of FrR (Our Sarth 3D MT) and it's a joke. I hardly ever heal him, just keep BoL on him and raid heal. The MT takes minimal damage. During frozen blows I'm spamming Holy lights on the raid anyway, so he's getting plenty of healing. He stacks pure stam, but he's a druid, so he doesn't have to worry about defense...
Legionp

Postby Soralin » Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Legionp wrote:I've healed this fight on 25 man with our Druid solo tanking with 3 pieces of FrR (Our Sarth 3D MT) and it's a joke. I hardly ever heal him, just keep BoL on him and raid heal. The MT takes minimal damage. During frozen blows I'm spamming Holy lights on the raid anyway, so he's getting plenty of healing. He stacks pure stam, but he's a druid, so he doesn't have to worry about defense...

If your DPS are even half switched on they're going to be seriously threat capped with a druid wearing stamina stacked FrR gear. We really noticed the low threat gen on Sarth and we tried it once on Hodir before switching to a prot paladin (me) as the solo tank (I wear 417 FrR). Even with the higher pally threat, DPS get pretty close especially if they're making good use of the fight's buffs.

While this might not be a big deal right now, if you eventually start looking at Hard Mode Hodir your tank will have to dial up the threat so the DPS can maintain the levels required to kill him within the timer.

Perhaps its purely self interest but I'm definitely an advocate of a pally tank on Hodir given that our threat seems significantly better than the other classes - but perhaps thats just the other tanks in my guild not being as good at their class as I am at mine.. *shrug*
Soralin

Postby Levantine » Mon May 18, 2009 12:29 am

Soralin wrote:
Legionp wrote:I've healed this fight on 25 man with our Druid solo tanking with 3 pieces of FrR (Our Sarth 3D MT) and it's a joke. I hardly ever heal him, just keep BoL on him and raid heal. The MT takes minimal damage. During frozen blows I'm spamming Holy lights on the raid anyway, so he's getting plenty of healing. He stacks pure stam, but he's a druid, so he doesn't have to worry about defense...

If your DPS are even half switched on they're going to be seriously threat capped with a druid wearing stamina stacked FrR gear. We really noticed the low threat gen on Sarth and we tried it once on Hodir before switching to a prot paladin (me) as the solo tank (I wear 417 FrR). Even with the higher pally threat, DPS get pretty close especially if they're making good use of the fight's buffs.

While this might not be a big deal right now, if you eventually start looking at Hard Mode Hodir your tank will have to dial up the threat so the DPS can maintain the levels required to kill him within the timer.

Perhaps its purely self interest but I'm definitely an advocate of a pally tank on Hodir given that our threat seems significantly better than the other classes - but perhaps thats just the other tanks in my guild not being as good at their class as I am at mine.. *shrug*

Hodir mechanics significantly favor Paladins in regards to threat generation. Gogo Holy damage for threat instead of largely physical.
Levantine

Postby trellian » Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 am

I personally use the chest and belt. I gemmed with resilience gems in yellow sockets (remember the +20 resilience unique gem from pvp vendor in WG) agility/stam in red and normal stam in blue sockets. Except for a little bit of avoidance loss, a resilience enchant on the chest made it that I didn't even need to swap any other gear out to get uncrittable again.
trellian

Postby Ascendant » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 am

I'm cheap and just tell my healers to throw cooldowns on me during frozen blows.
Ascendant

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations