Remove Advertisements

Frost Resist Gear

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Frost Resist Gear

Postby Foobars » Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 am

I have a few questions regarding resist sets in Wrath:

How do you gem your FR gear?
-How much FR do you have in your FR gear?
Does resist work the same as it did in BC?
Foobars

Re: Frost Resist Gear

Postby Jasari » Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 am

http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-resi ... ics_wotlk/

I gem my FR with all +16 Def gems and wear varying amounts of it depending on the situation.
Jasari

Postby Nadir » Thu May 14, 2009 11:25 am

I basically gem/enchant as much stamina into them as possible and then make up for any defense deficit through Repelling Charge.

I used a heavy frost resist set when we were first learning Hodir, but now I always use normal progression gear.
Nadir

Postby theckhd » Thu May 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Mine's still gemmed straight stamina from OS3D days, though the chest has the +22 defense enchant. I've found that by sticking with this gemming, I can swap out a trinket (usually EoG for Repelling Charge) to keep defense above 540 with almost no loss of stamina.

I haven't yet had time to sit down and make sure that I wouldn't be better off sticking with dual-stam trinkets and gemming for defense, but my initial guess is that I wouldn't be. But now's as good a time to do the math as any:

Icebane Chestguard - 3 sockets, RYB
Icebane Girdle - 3 sockets, RYP
Icebane Treads - 2 sockets, RY

That gives us 8 sockets to play with, 3R, 3Y, 1B, 1P.

If we assume the blue slot gets a 24 Stam gem, then we only have 7 slots to play with. To match the 84 defense rating of the Repelling charge trinket, we'd need either 5 Thick Autumn's Glow (16 Defense), or 3 TAG and some combination of 4 Enduring Forest Emerald (8 def / 12 stam) and/or Stalwart Monarch Topaz (8 def / 8 dodge). That gives us 80 defense rating, which is close enough to call it even.

Configurations (Y=16 def, G = 8 def / 12 stam, R = 8 def / 8 dodge, B = 24 stam)
The baseline configuration is my "blues down the line" socketing scheme with Repelling Charge to keep 540 defense. Every other configuration uses Essence of Gossamer (111 stam).
  • 8B w/ Repelling Charge: 84 defense, 192 Stam.

• 5Y + 3B: 80 defense rating, 72 stamina +111 from EoG for 183 total. With no orange gems, we can't get any socket bonuses.

• 4Y + 2G + 2B: 80 defense rating, 72 stamina +111 for 183 total. Again, no oranges, so no socket bonuses.
  • 4Y + 1G + 1R + 2B: 80 defense rating, 8 dodge rating, 72 Stamina (60 + 12 from chest) +111 for 183 total. With one orange gem, we can pick up one bonus, and the chest is the largest at +12. This is slightly better than the previous configuration due to the added 8 dodge.
  • 4Y + 2R + 2B: 80 defense rating, 16 dodge rating, 69 Stamina (48 + 12 chest + 9 belt) +111 for 180 total. We trade 3 stam for 8 more dodge because we pick up a second socket bonus.

• 3Y + 4G + 1B: 80 defense rating, 72 stamina +111 for 183 total. No socket bonuses.
  • 3Y + 3G + 1R + 1B: 80 defense rating, 8 dodge rating, 72 Stamina (60 + 12 from chest) +111 for 183 total. Again, strictly superior to the previous version.
  • 3Y + 2G + 2R + 1B: 80 defense rating, 16 dodge rating, 69 Stamina (48 + 12 chest + 9 belt) +111 for 180 total.
  • 3Y + 1G + 3R + 1B: 80 defense rating, 24 dodge rating, 66 Stamina(36 + 12 chest + 9 belt + 9 boots) +111 for 177 total. Again, 8 more dodge rating for 3 stamina thanks to the 3rd socket bonus.
  • 3Y + 4R + 1B: 80 defense rating, 32 dodge rating, 54 Stamina (24 + 12 + 9 + 9) +111 for 165. No real point to using this configuration, we get more dodge but pay for it at "regular price" (8 dodge for 12 stam) because we don't get another socket bonus.

So I was right, insofar as that none of those configurations manage to match the straight stam-gemming for pure stamina. However, several of the 3Y configurations come awfully close. 3Y + 3G + 1R + 1B and 3Y + 1G + 3R + 1B in particular are quite good, for pushing stam I'd probably go with the former, and for overall effectiveness I'd go with the latter. Note that if I had the 10-man Yogg trinket, there'd be no contest, since the extra 44 stamina would push even the worst of these configurations ahead.

I'll probably switch to the 3Y + 1G + 3R + 1B configuration this weekend, since it eeks the most itemization points worth of sats out of the frost resist items, and only comes in 15 stamina and 4 defense rating behind (gaining 24 dodge rating in the process). I'll just have to shuffle around a little defense here or there if necessary to maintain 540.

Also, this was all done in a vacuum; if you are willing to swap a few other items of equal ilvl around to maintain 540 defense, you'll almost certainly be better off going with 3Y + 3R + 2B, which I didn't model because it drops me below the defense minimum.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:28 pm

I went ahead and gemmed mine matching socket bonuses with a tilt toward defense rating. My guild wasn't geared for 3D; also I've run Thaddius 10 nine times without even seeing Repelling Charge drop.

I can barely maintain uncrittable (with a couple minor gear swaps, but the BV helps make up threat anyway) for Hodir and I think I'm putting out the maximum defensive stats for my ilevels.

Don't forget the FR ring. It's quite efficient.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby daemonym » Fri May 15, 2009 1:14 am

profile of me in my frost res gear and my mt stuff:

http://chardev.org/?template=183902
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Dazhbog » Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 am

theckhd wrote: Snipped for length

JCers can also use triple defense dragonseyes, which frees up both the trinket slot and the rest of the gem sockets(111 + 120 = 231 stam, 81 def rating), or triple stamina dragonseyes with 5 TAGs (111+123=234 stam, 80 defense), or some combination in between; essentially, you can replace 1-3 TAGs with 2 TDEs (Thick Dragon's Eye) or 4-5 TAGs with 3 TDEs, and then use the extra gem sockets for whatever you want, as well as snag some socket bonuses. I think I ended up losing stamina for a trio of Bold gems for threat purposes (since it takes a hit in FrR gear), and picked up all of the socket bonuses along with way.
Dazhbog

Postby daemonym » Fri May 15, 2009 5:15 am

Dazhbog wrote:

JCers can also use triple defense dragonseyes, which frees up both the trinket slot and the rest of the gem sockets(111 + 120 = 231 stam, 81 def rating), or triple stamina dragonseyes with 5 TAGs (111+123=234 stam, 80 defense), or some combination in between; essentially, you can replace 1-3 TAGs with 2 TDEs (Thick Dragon's Eye) or 4-5 TAGs with 3 TDEs, and then use the extra gem sockets for whatever you want, as well as snag some socket bonuses. I think I ended up losing stamina for a trio of Bold gems for threat purposes (since it takes a hit in FrR gear), and picked up all of the socket bonuses along with way.

that is asuming that you're not using any dragon eyes in the rest of your gear or it's worth it to you to spend the 100g per gem to switch them in and out for a single fight msot likely.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby theckhd » Fri May 15, 2009 5:42 am

daemonym wrote:that is asuming that you're not using any dragon eyes in the rest of your gear or it's worth it to you to spend the 100g per gem to switch them in and out for a single fight msot likely.

Or assuming you're a JC in the first place, which I'm not. :P

I didn't include the FrR ring since I haven't had one made; so far just the 3 armor pieces together reduce Hodir's Frozen Blows damage to between 13k-16k after mitigation/damage absorption, which is "good enough" for me to solo-tank the encounter.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby eia » Fri May 15, 2009 6:59 am

theckhd wrote:[snip]
I didn't include the FrR ring since I haven't had one made; so far just the 3 armor pieces together reduce Hodir's Frozen Blows damage to between 13k-16k after mitigation/damage absorption, which is "good enough" for me to solo-tank the encounter.

Does everyone do this?
So far we've had a warrior tank the "normal" part of the encounter, and me tank the frozen blows in FrR gear, but I've been thinking about regemming/re-enchanting to get uncrittable in it for solo-tanking, but don't really know if it's worth it, or just easier to continue as we have...
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Jasari » Fri May 15, 2009 7:03 am

eia wrote:
theckhd wrote:[snip]

Does everyone do this?
So far we've had a warrior tank the "normal" part of the encounter, and me tank the frozen blows in FrR gear, but I've been thinking about regemming/re-enchanting to get uncrittable in it for solo-tanking, but don't really know if it's worth it, or just easier to continue as we have...

It's easier to just solo tank I think. You get an extra DPSer which means he dies sooner and you don't have to worry about tank swaps which can be annoying and lead to missed taunts.
Jasari

Postby theckhd » Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 am

eia wrote:Does everyone do this?

In addition to what Jasari said... I'm pretty sure you need to be uncrittable in your FrR gear anyway. I've never thought to check if Frozen Blows can crit, but I'd guess it could.

Your avoidance/mitigation does take a hit when you swap the FrR gear, but his physical attacks still aren't really any worse than his Frozen Blows attacks. The advantage you gain by avoiding tank-swaps (healers don't have to change target/focus, and can be pre-healing you properly, no chance of taunt resists, etc) is pretty substantial on this fight.
theckhd

Postby majiben » Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Also, while it's easy to know when he gains frozen blows, it's harder to know when he losses it. I ended up solo tanking him through a whole normal phase our first time seeing him and didn't know it until I saw a second message saying he gained frozen blows and every week after that we've just had me solo tank him on 10 man. On 25 man I'm not sure it's viable without a second tank without significant uldar gearing.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jasari » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Majiben wrote:Also, while it's easy to know when he gains frozen blows, it's harder to know when he losses it. I ended up solo tanking him through a whole normal phase our first time seeing him and didn't know it until I saw a second message saying he gained frozen blows and every week after that we've just had me solo tank him on 10 man. On 25 man I'm not sure it's viable without a second tank without significant uldar gearing.

Yeah, similar thing happened for us. Our first attempt on 10man I taunted when he gained frozen blows and the OT never ended up taunting off. So our next attempt, I just had the off tank switch to his DPS dual spec.
Jasari

Postby Dazhbog » Fri May 15, 2009 12:54 pm

daemonym wrote:
Dazhbog wrote:

that is asuming that you're not using any dragon eyes in the rest of your gear or it's worth it to you to spend the 100g per gem to switch them in and out for a single fight msot likely.

Oh, absolutely true. I happened to make a few gear switches in my FrR set to re-up my threat/avoidance stats that got rid of my other Dragon's Eyes, so I was free to use them in the FrR gear.

I hadn't thought about using the ring, as it drops you below the 415 resist cap and loses a socket compared to the other items. However, it does let you sacrifice a ring rather then a belt or a pair of boots. Hmm.
Dazhbog

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations