Remove Advertisements

A Tankadin's Best Friend

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

A Tankadin's Best Friend

Postby Florisia » Mon May 11, 2009 11:23 am

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, so if its misplaced, very sorry.

My question is what are the best partner classes to have with a tankadin. I ask mainly for the sake of my pugging career. Healers are the obvious choice, but in terms of DPS and what they bring to the table for their own role, and how they can assist in a tankadin's roles are what I'm curious about.

For those of you on Hyjal, if you've ever seen me, you've probably noticed there's a rogue sneaking around near by. I'm with her 90% of the time, and our skills compliment each other, or atleast we've made them compliment each other. I know very little about other classes, though. Does anyone have any opinions on what DPS class/specs compliment a paladin tank?

Example:
I say Tricks of the Trade from Rogues is a wonderful boost to my own threat against a target, plus it increases my damage by a percentage for around 6 or 7 seconds. When she throws this on me, I normally hit my trinkets and fire up Avenging Wrath to further increment the damage and threat gen*. As a tank(Any tank could do this, really), I increase her chance to critically strike with Turn the Tables.

Does anyone else have a partner they're with frequently, or know of any other good DPS-Tankadin combos? And.. I know my example could apply to any tank and a rogue, but my question still stands. :P

*Depends on which trinkets I'm using. I've been favoring Lavanthor's Block Value trinket recently.
Florisia

Re: A Tankadin's Best Friend

Postby Jasari » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 am

For heroics, I'll take any DPS that can AOE really well so that we can blaze through stuff.
Jasari

Postby Tijeras » Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

A good DK that knows how to play their class. For me I have a really good friend on the server that I play with all the time. The STR and Agi from Horn of Winter are very nice and I ask him to DG casters / ranged mobs that refuse to come to me. He knows I won't let them nom him and we have gotten to the point where I don't have to ask.

I also have a rogue friend that can really play his class. ToT and interupts to casters are always welcome in my groups.
Tijeras

Postby Foolosophy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 am

Since almost anyone can AoE at this point. Resto druids! And a good one please. They make it easy to make my pulls bigger.

Or vice versa.

A really good player with any class.
Foolosophy

Postby Dakiros » Mon May 11, 2009 12:11 pm

My gf plays a priest, alternating between disc and holy depending on the situation. We can kill just about anything sub raid level.
Dakiros

Postby Florisia » Mon May 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Foolosophy wrote:Since almost anyone can AoE at this point. Resto druids! And a good one please. They make it easy to make my pulls bigger.

Or vice versa.

A really good player with any class.

Any particular reason you say Resto druids opposed to, say, A Holy Paladin, Resto Sham, or Priest?

I only know my class, and a little bit about rogues, which is why I'm asking. :P
Florisia

Postby Impervium » Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 pm

My resto druid friend usually tosses HoTs and then Hurricanes and Wraths in heroics. It's like free (admitably low) DPS.
Impervium

Postby gibborim » Mon May 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I personally hate running without a mage for the int buff and good AoE damage.
gibborim

Postby neokai » Mon May 11, 2009 1:41 pm

If you are talking about 5 mans, having dps that complement each other is the way to go.

So a party can go like this: Shaman, DK, Ret pally, Prot pally, Warrior.
Rampage, imp icy talons, totems, horn of winter, imp bom, bok. Pre 3.1 nerf, each of the dps could do at least 6k dps in any given fight, w/o bloodlust. The record was 9.8k dps.

So a magic based group would be: Mage, warlock, elem shammy, prot pally, moonkin. Shammy heals.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Gamingdevil » Mon May 11, 2009 1:47 pm

gibborim wrote:I personally hate running without a mage for the int buff and good AoE damage.

"The int buff"? :|

I personally like having a rogue, they provide us with the one thing we're weak in: snap aoe threat
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby neokai » Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:
gibborim wrote:I personally hate running without a mage for the int buff and good AoE damage.

I personally like having a rogue, they provide us with the one thing we're weak in: snap aoe threat

We actually have some of the best snap aggro skills, assuming we do not have to run to aggro them. 2 taunts, 1 de-aggro skill, 3 range damage skills, 1 aoe "field" button.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby Gamingdevil » Mon May 11, 2009 1:58 pm

neokai wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:

We actually have some of the best snap aggro skills, assuming we do not have to run to aggro them. 2 taunts, 1 de-aggro skill, 3 range damage skills, 1 aoe "field" button.

*on more than 3 targets
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Akairos » Mon May 11, 2009 2:53 pm

I like to roll with my priest bud. He rolls shadow when we're not in instances and disc inside isntances. He keeps my mana up, I tank everythnikg and pull large ammount of mobs and we solo well together, then in a heartbeat we're in instance mode, ready to tear it up.
The subtle tongue, the decieving guile,
they fail when the broadswords sing
Come in an die dogs...I was a man before I was king!
Maintankadin of <Inconceivable>
Akairos

Postby Riposte » Tue May 12, 2009 12:08 am

Dog is man's best friend.

Somebody said to get a warrior, dk and ret pally...bad idea if you want to kill any melee with cleaves etc. I like no more than 1 melee dps in a group, but thats my personal preference.

So if you are dranei or belf, you need to find a good shammy healer, a moonkin or cat druid, a hunter, and a mage/spriest/lock. With that group you can run just about anything with no trouble at all. And get achievements. Woot achievements!
Riposte

Postby Florisia » Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 am

Riposte wrote:I like no more than 1 melee dps in a group, but thats my personal preference.

I'm actually the same way. My rogue friend is the only melee DPS I like to have with me. For everyone else, if I could hand-pick them, I'd pick a resto druid, a mage(Frost or Fire), and a range shaman(Forgot the spec). It's easier on the healer to have multiple ranged attackers because most AOEs are local(Arcane Blasts, Whirlwinds, etc). Mages tend to have good AoE and some nifty CC moves that make my tanking life a little easier, and the shamans I've been with have done nice burst damage against single targets, and in the worst of scenarios, can offheal.

One story that I have that I'm not particularly proud of was when I was running H Nexus. H Nexus isn't really that hard, but some stupid things can happen with the blood elf mage boss that's there. We wound up down a tank(That's me), then our healer, and eventually our third DPS, and our shaman DPS and my rogue friend were the only two left. The shaman suddenly started healing her, and we wound up not wiping by a couple thousand HP between the two of them.

I'm happy to say that I've never had another run like that for few months. :P
Florisia

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations