More Mitigation; Kings or Sanc?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

More Mitigation; Kings or Sanc?

Postby Chasey » Mon May 04, 2009 9:59 am

I happen to be at times in Naxx 25 or Ulduar 10 the only pally in the group (*gasp, I know it does happen from time to time.) I am usually MT so getting mana isn't an issue on bosses at least.
I use sanc on myself most of the time but started playing around the other day and noticed that I get about 400-600 more block from Kings. I'm guessing, not really being a numbers guy, that this is a big deal over the course of a fight. Has anyone cruched these numbers or can anyone help me w/a run down of what mitigates damage more, BoS or BoK when I'm in a solo pally party.

*** edited took out BV to total block numbers.
Last edited by Chasey on Mon May 04, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasey

Re: More Mitigation; Kings or Sanc?

Postby Modal » Mon May 04, 2009 10:12 am

Use Kings, at least for challenging content. It's almost certainly less mitigation, but it also gives you significantly more health.
Modal

Postby Salamandra » Mon May 04, 2009 10:19 am

Kings isn't really any mitigation, other than a ridiculously small amount of armour through slightly more agility, it's also barely any avoidance.

However, raid buffed it is about 3k more health, so it's a hell of a lot more EH than Sanc is. Kings is better for survival purposes.
Salamandra

Postby aleyona » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 am

Salamandra wrote:Kings isn't really any mitigation, other than a ridiculously small amount of armour through slightly more agility, it's also barely any avoidance.

However, raid buffed it is about 3k more health, so it's a hell of a lot more EH than Sanc is. Kings is better for survival purposes.

The block value increase from strength is nothing to scoff at. 10% @ 1100 gives you 55 more BV (sometimes more). It may not seem like a lot, but it can be.

As for 400-600 more BV... no... that's not happening, and whatever you're looking at is seriously off somehow.

Here's the other thing you have to consider... 3% reduced damage. Is the 50 BV you gain going to give you more than 3% reduced damage. Honestly... no - but factor in the EH increase that directly effects your AD range... that might be worth it.

It's a toss-up, but I would say that if you're running only one paladin in a Naxx-25 your guild has some serious issues they need to look at.

10-man, I can understand - In that case I think I'd go with Kings simply because it's new content and more health always helps a ton.
aleyona

Postby Fridmarr » Mon May 04, 2009 10:52 am

Yeah, I think a better question is which one provides more survivability. I believe kings wins that comparison, but it provides less mitigation in most situations, especially when there is magic damage.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Chasey » Mon May 04, 2009 11:52 am

aleyona wrote:The block value increase from strength is nothing to scoff at. 10% @ 1100 gives you 55 more BV (sometimes more). It may not seem like a lot, but it can be.
As for 400-600 more BV... no... that's not happening, and whatever you're looking at is seriously off somehow.
Here's the other thing you have to consider... 3% reduced damage. Is the 50 BV you gain going to give you more than 3% reduced damage. Honestly... no - but factor in the EH increase that directly effects your AD range... that might be worth it.

Total misinfo on my numbers or at least miss stated. I'm at 1279 Bv unbuffed w/Kings I'm at 1369. So yes It doesn't add 400-600 BV but I did notice against Lothab last nite I was blocking for 2200. Which 25 man buffed is sounding normal but I did only have kings on me at the time. So I'm guess in my skewed thoughts that is where the number came from :D

To others thanks for the info and insight.
Chasey

Postby Eanin » Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 pm

In most cases, Sanc will give you more mitigation, but Kings will keep you alive longer. The BV from strength is nice, but unless you're getting hit for less than 3k or 4k, Sanc gives more mitigation. I would choose Kings for anything hard, and Sanc for anything easy, where mana might be a concern.
Eanin

Postby Chasey » Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Just did a lil unbuffed check on my toon w/both my HP/EH gear and my Avoidance. In both cases totally unbuffed kings added about .5% and .55% in avoidance. So in essence the 3% less damage unbuffed sanc would be better. Raid buffed that would be a differnt story.
I guess I answered my own question just poking around but I still love to get the other opinions/statements I've heard here.
Chasey

Postby Lore » Mon May 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Sanc has more mitigation. Mitigation is not everything. Kings will provide a larger boost to your overall survivability.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Zoltar » Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Chasey wrote: I'm at 1279 Bv unbuffed w/Kings I'm at 1369. So yes It doesn't add 400-600 BV but I did notice against Lothab last nite I was blocking for 2200.

Perhaps from Libram of Obstruction procs.
Zoltar

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations