Remove Advertisements

Have I underrated Armor?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Have I underrated Armor?

Postby Eanin » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Armor has a side-benefit, too, which is that it makes your health worth more, and so has an effect like increasing the amount you are healed for. If I take 2% less damage per hit, my health is worth 2% more, so when I'm healed, it acts sort of like a healing bonus.
Eanin

Postby Elsie » Tue May 05, 2009 5:05 am

Eanin wrote:Armor has a side-benefit, too, which is that it makes your health worth more, and so has an effect like increasing the amount you are healed for. If I take 2% less damage per hit, my health is worth 2% more, so when I'm healed, it acts sort of like a healing bonus.

It's never a good practice to view damage prevention as additional healing. They are very functionally different, even if the goal is to stay alive somehow. Also it's misleading since when you make such a statement your benefit is still 2% where you're stating 2% less damage taken -> 2% more healing.
Elsie

Postby Eanin » Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am

Not really. Let's compare 2% more health versus 2% more damage reduction (by which I mean 2% of the current damage I'm taking, i.e. for example 1% tooltip reduction when at 50%).

In both cases my EH and TTL go up by 2%.

However, in the case of 2% more damage reduction, my heals restore 2% more of my total health every time than if I was just to increase my health by 2%.

This is of course only true for physical damage, but for physical damage, thinking of 2% DR as 2% more EH and 2% healing bonus is pretty accurate and useful.
Eanin

Postby vexryn » Tue May 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Isetnefret wrote:Hmmmm, is there really a threshold where Shifting Twilight Opal is better than Solid Sky Sapphire, but worse than Delicate Scarlet Ruby?

Yeah, I'm becoming fascinated with this question as well. Not necessarily to replace my blue gems, but at least to replace the purple gems in my red slots.

As I work to survive through the dreaded two-consecutive-hits from some big bosses in Ulduar, I'm starting to wonder if I might re-gem my Regal Twilight Opals into Shifting Twilight Opals, giving up a bit of straight dodge to get the additional armor value out of agility.

Can anyone point me to the math on comparing +8 agility to +8 dodge (or really any +x agility to +x dodge)?
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby neokai » Thu May 07, 2009 3:14 am

Drat, someone beat me to it.

• Before we go flying at each other over the BV vs other options argument, I would just like to take a moment and point out the fact that pure BV pieces are not so common in Ulduar beyond our Tier gear. Just 1 ring, 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of gloves iirc.
  • The other thing I want to note is that the 2 camps are talking very different points: the block camp is saying that block helps mitigate damage after being reduced by armor, which is a good thing (true). The other side is saying that it's practically impossible to stack BV to a value that will rival armor mitigation (true also). I say that after the armor mitigates the damage, any amount of block I can apply to that amount is a good thing. We should factor BV into our EH calculations because of our block capped sets.
  • Lastly, BV counts as a hybrid stat. It is a mitigation and threat stat, the same way purple gems are hybrids of red and blue.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations