Remove Advertisements

Sudden Drop in TPS in 3.1.1

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Sudden Drop in TPS in 3.1.1

Postby Aenema » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I logged on after teh small patch yesterday and was asked to tank VH hc for our new guildie, cus he needed some EoH, got our best DPSers and me going in there.

Already on the first pull I was seeing extremely low TPS compared to what I'm used to, I could barely break 3.5k TPS on neither bosses nor trash.

Anyone else noticed this sudden drop in threat yesterday?

fore more info the group I had was

Me Tankadin
Fury Warrior
Arcane Mage
Survival Hunter
Resto Shammie

my armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellfire&n=Aenema&ST=EU-594586-cc2pwtDulXZDFLB12OM6wHBUzDaFPuBqShk

I'm actually in my avoidance gear atm, so health is a bit low :/

There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Aenema

Re: Sudden Drop in TPS in 3.1.1

Postby Rothifer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:13 am

Armory seems to be down so I can't see your spec but it does look like you are the same "threat spec" I have. You have a few pieces of better gear that is gemmed and enchanted the same way I do. So other than the obvious question about RF and rotation nothing seems to be wrong.

And no, I haven't noticed a huge drop in threat like that. Just finished some heroic runs for a friend and I was doing about 6k tps.
Too much talking here and not enough tanking. Stop the bitching and get tanking.

Barathorn
Rothifer

Postby Aenema » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:15 am

the strange thing is though, as a recap.

I just dida VOA 10 man, both emalon and archavon.

her my threat seemed actually higher than usual instead.

my spec is the usual threat spec yes and my gear is decent, mix of 25 and 10 man.

There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Aenema

Postby kenshin648 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm

First, was vigilance on you?
Second, did you actually have RF up?
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Jazmine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Threat should be at least the same (if specced w/out crusade), or if not higher (with crusade). There were no nerfs to us only boosts.

Bliz changed our talent that used to provide 30% more damage to our shield attacks, but it was counterbalanced by upping the natural damage of our shield attacks by 30%, meaning there is no net change.

Change of talent tree actually allows us to spec into Crusade (3/3) and also maintain a full 3/3 AD. So technically your threat should be a lot higher than pre 3.1 and also not sacrificing survivability.
Jazmine

Postby Laeda » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Were you basing your threat off Omen perchance?

I know post 3.1 my threat was insane, then after 3.1.1 It seemed to drop.

I tanked a 10 man naxx for lols after 3.1.1, and noticed my threat way down on omen too, barely pushing 3.5k. It then cranked right back up in OS 25 the next day. One thing I noticed when it was low was that the DPS's threat seemed strangely low too, so maybe omens being a bit buggy since 3.1.1, and scaling everyone down (or more accurately reporting :shock: ).
Laeda

Postby Aenema » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 am

Yes I was basing it off omen actually, might be that omen was buggy, although i seemed to lose aggro for short periods of time in hc VH aswell, although it got it back quickly ofc so no deaths occured.

on the other hand that might have to do with the 5k dps mage, hunter and warrior I had with me :P
top 3 dps in the guild.

Tanked UIlduar yesterday and I had no trouble holding aggro on either boss up to Aurayia so it was msot probably a bug in omen or something.

and also to the people asking
I always have RF up :) Power Auras more or less makes teh game unplayable if RF aint active :D
I use the 96969 rotation, and ive mastered it to the extent i can do it while being blindfolded :P

Aenema

Postby Flipthebird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:31 am

kenshin648 wrote:First, was vigilance on you?
Second, did you actually have RF up?

So, I was under the impression RF doesn't really increase threat anymore...so is there any point in asking if someone had it up anymore? I thought that they removed the threat bonus and made it just a standard damage reduction talent? I could be way wrong here, though...

or is just the baseline RF does the threat increase, and the improved RF does the damage reduction?
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 am

Imp RF does the damage reduction. RF itself increases threat.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 am

Did you choose exactly the same talent tree when you relearnt them after 3.1.1? Took me by surprise that we had to relearn all talents again.
Discus

Postby Aenema » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:27 am

Yes i did make sure i had the correct talent tree which i was after :)

But it is not a problem anymore due to my insane threat in Ulduar the day after :)

I've shrugged it of as nothing but a fluke that VH. Got 3 achievements in there though so cant really complain about the threat :P

Aenema

Postby Lumennon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:15 am

I think the problem lies with Omen. Last Naxx 25, with me tanking KT, I was barely able to do more than 3.5k TPS. However, the other tanks and the DPS did even less (according to Omen), I still had a comfortable lead over everyone else.

I think it's just buggy at the moment.
Ebbitt wrote:Arthas is sitting there watching over the front door then... SURPRISE BUTTSECKS, we just got inside by the back door and facerolled all your defenses.
Lumennon
Maintankadonor

Postby Serelynn » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am

Make sure you update Omen. The day of the patch, I was generated 5k TPS according to Omen in my effective health set. A week later, after updating Omen, in the same gear it shows me over 7k TPS easily with spikes way above that and in my block/threat set I'm sitting on 10k TPS for an entire fight sometimes. :\

Regardless if Omen is showing the right numbers or not, paladins are easily generating enough threat.
Serelynn

Postby Equitas » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm

8K TPs steady, 11K spikes. Everything fine.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Nozz » Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Greygoose, how the flying fuck did you get 4 pieces of conquerors already and not somehow manage to pick up any other items, nor have enough emblems to buy the tanking necklace etc? O_O
Nozz

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations