Ret Aura vs Sanctity Aura

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Ret Aura vs Sanctity Aura

Postby Girard » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:03 am

I presently have a 0/40/21 build and have generally been rolling with Sanctity aura up.

However, now I have 2pc T5 and wanted to know if having a ret aura that ticks for ~41/hit vs +10% to all spelldamage is better. Mostly thinking for Morogrim.
Girard

Postby corc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:29 pm

I think what you would have to think about is the difference between the ret aura procs and the increase to cons damage. If +10% damage = damage from ret aura then go ahead and use which ever one you want. >, use 10%, < use ret.

Sure you should include the sanc blessing proc damage too, but this will just make it simple.

Using the equations and spell coeffs from wowwiki:

(Cons damage)(10%) = (ret damage)(110%)/2
(131 + (+dam)(76%))(10%) = 41(55%)
13.1 + (+dam)(7.6%) = 22.55
(+dam) = (22.55 - 13.1)/(7.6%)
(+dam) = 125 +damage

So, if you've got 125 +damage then use your 10% aura, otherwise use the ret aura.

I think in most cases though, you should always use the +10% aura if you've got it and have a holy pali give you ret even if it isn't as poweful as yours.

*as Jere noted, you only get hit about 50% of the time, so I modified the numbers to show that you need even less +dam to justify the 10% aura
Last edited by corc on Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby jere » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:38 pm

corc wrote:I think what you would have to think about is the difference between the ret aura procs and the increase to cons damage. If +10% damage = damage from ret aura then go ahead and use which ever one you want. >, use 10%, < use ret.

Sure you should include the sanc blessing proc damage too, but this will just make it simple.

(Cons damage)(10%) = (ret damage)(110%)
(131 + (+dam)(76%))(10%) = 41(110%)
13.1 + (+dam)(7.6%) = 45.1
(+dam) = (45.1 - 13.1)/(7.6%)
(+dam) = 421 +damage

So, if you've got 421 +damage then use your 10% aura, otherwise use the ret aura.

I think in most cases though, you should always use the +10% aura if you've got it and have a holy pali give you ret even if it isn't as poweful as yours.

Just something to note: You calculations assume that ret aura hits every time. If you have around 40-50% dodge + parry + miss, then you will need much less spell dmg for consecrate to match ret aura on average.

Just wanted to toss that info in for consideration..
jere

Postby Girard » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:27 pm

corc wrote:I think what you would have to think about is the difference between the ret aura procs and the increase to cons damage. If +10% damage = damage from ret aura then go ahead and use which ever one you want. >, use 10%, < use ret.

(Cons damage)(10%) = (ret damage)(110%)
(131 + (+dam)(76%))(10%) = 41(110%)
13.1 + (+dam)(7.6%) = 45.1
(+dam) = (45.1 - 13.1)/(7.6%)
(+dam) = 421 +damage

So, if you've got 421 +damage then use your 10% aura, otherwise use the ret aura.

I use the 10% aura at all times pretty much since that's a straight 10% threat boost.. and I'm loved on Leo by all our holy priests for making their lives easier =)

Hmm.. I roll at about ~400 +dmg buffed so I'll stay with sanctity aura. Danke!
Girard

Postby Lore » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:15 pm

It's worth noting that if you primarily use Ret Aura you would be able to pick up Avenger's Shield.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:55 pm

I usually get another pally in party for Retri aura so i can use my Sanctity aura :)
I got 2 t5 and imp retri aura as well but i use that one only if theres no chance of getting another paladin in party with me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby corc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:58 am

jere wrote:Just something to note: You calculations assume that ret aura hits every time. If you have around 40-50% dodge + parry + miss, then you will need much less spell dmg for consecrate to match ret aura on average.

Just wanted to toss that info in for consideration..

true, I should change it.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Teah » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:35 am

Worldie wrote:I usually get another pally in party for Retri aura so i can use my Sanctity aura :)
I got 2 t5 and imp retri aura as well but i use that one only if theres no chance of getting another paladin in party with me.

If I can convince the healing leader I can get one of our holy paladins to go 40/0/21. I mean we have 4 extremely active ones it can't hurt. =X But we are not progressed enough for me to really want that.
Teah

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:38 am

When i asked that they said "oh noes we cant lose our talents we'll go oom etc", so to get Sanctity i had to respec myself (and, lollable, i took imp retri aura as well)

Like paladins had mana problems =|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Teah » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Holy paladins don't have mana problems.. heck I've had zero problems as 40/21/0 when I needed to go holy myself.

Theres no real difference in that and 40/0/21 in my eyes. It's for a raid buff. :cry:

But I guess the best case scenario is a ret pally :(
Teah

Postby Worldie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:15 pm

To be honest if a paladin is going to spec for sanctity aura he needs at least 23 points in retri, since Imp Sanctity is a good buff if you are Holy (nearly every aura is useless). I would have taken it but i couldnt take points from Ardent Defender, and neither from Imp Holy Shield.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Girard » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Lore wrote:It's worth noting that if you primarily use Ret Aura you would be able to pick up Avenger's Shield.

That's the one thing I miss is that AS for Leo.. but I've managed to pick him up before he WTFPwns someone without it so far, it's just not as easy.
Girard

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations