Demo Shout: Probably a retarded question

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Demo Shout: Probably a retarded question

Postby Janduin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:19 am

So I was thinking and I haven't read anything about demo shout since TBC. Then, it was 100% necessary for progression raiding. In Wrath, I figured 2/5 demo shout was still a good thing to have, but never bothered to find out if it still worked because nothing hit hard enough for it to matter. The question was irrelevant.

We've now cleared up to Yogg in Ulduar 25 (normal modes all) and some of those guys hit freaking hard. And I was thinking, we probably didn't have demo shout up during at least some of those encounters (we are kind of low on warriors). Is 2/5 demo shout or Curse of Weakness still necessary to negate the boss's AP or is this an outdated TBC idea?
Janduin

Re: Demo Shout: Probably a retarded question

Postby Janduin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

Answering my own question:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4234 ... ss-ap.html

I think I'm going to start making sure some AP debuff is up from now on.
Janduin

Postby Serelynn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm

Yep. It's a pretty significant amount. The easiest way to get it on a boss in my opinion is to have an Affliction warlock spec into it and put up Curse of Weakness, it applies the maximum possible attack power reduction and the 5% armor reduction on the boss for 2 minutes! Since the 13% magic damage taken debuff doesn't require talents and can be applied by Moonkin and Unholy Death Knights, it isn't difficult for a warlock to throw on Weakness.
Serelynn

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Serelynn wrote:Yep. It's a pretty significant amount. The easiest way to get it on a boss in my opinion is to have an Affliction warlock spec into it and put up Curse of Weakness, it applies the maximum possible attack power reduction and the 5% armor reduction on the boss for 2 minutes! Since the 13% magic damage taken debuff doesn't require talents and can be applied by Moonkin and Unholy Death Knights, it isn't difficult for a warlock to throw on Weakness.

It's definitely nice that it lasts so long and only costs 2 talent points, but don't forget that assuming a boomkin or unholy around, the warlock could get ~500 dps out of their CoA instead. :) Demo shout is the loss of a GCD every 30 seconds or so, but unfortunately most dps warriors don't take 5/5 imp demo shout. I have a feeling it's because they don't realize how weak UW really is for rage gen.
Last edited by Rasmfrackn on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby majiben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:15 pm

from what I remember only the first 2 or 3 points in imp Demo roar/shout affects mobs not under the effects of AP increases like unimp CoReck.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Majiben wrote:from what I remember only the first 2 or 3 points in imp Demo roar/shout affects mobs not under the effects of AP increases like unimp CoReck.

That seems to have changed, assuming all bosses line up with Maexxna. A fully-talented demo shout only shaves off 1 AP more than the maximum possible.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4234 ... ss-ap.html
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Spamdrew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:20 pm

The other thing people should remember is that these numbers are before armour etc. so they are not as large as they first seem. Even so they are still significant (I just wish I knew how boss ap worked in regards to size of hit and swing speed).
Spamdrew

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Spamdrew wrote:The other thing people should remember is that these numbers are before armour etc. so they are not as large as they first seem. Even so they are still significant (I just wish I knew how boss ap worked in regards to size of hit and swing speed).

How it translates directly into speed and hit size varies from boss to boss. Obviously they can directly control how hard a boss' base damage hits, and how fast they swing. I think we've pretty consistently seen that AP is a % effect, so it's about the same (barring flat subtractions like block value) for any boss. In the old days, a "max" 2/5 imp demo shout was worth something like 18-20%. These days a "max" 5/5 imp demo shout looks to be about 12-15%. Still, that's an incredible reduction. Even without talents it's one of the most powerful damage mitigation effects, right up there with the melee slow. Without talents a CoW is stronger than a demo shout, as well.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations