Enchant Weapon: Blade Ward - testing results

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Enchant Weapon: Blade Ward - testing results

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 pm

Out of reading all of this I've come to the following conclusions:

1- It doesn't proc enough for it to really matter.
2- Once you parry, it's consumed and you lose that 200 parry rating
3- Both of the above points make it inferior to either the Potency or Agility enchants on your weapon.

Is this correct?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Well, we haven't really analyzed the details precisely, but I'd say with the current proc rate and relatively weak proc, the difference between them is very tiny. I don't know which one comes out on top. I know I'm not going to bother with Blade Ward in its current form.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Good enough for me. I'll wait until there's something more concrete about it being the "best" enchant before I get it. The scroll is going for something stupid like 1.6 to 2.5k on my server, and despite it being "shiney and new", it just doesn't have me going "wow, must have!"
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Fridmarr wrote:That would be worse actually.

I should have been clearer. By "put an internal CD on the damage portion", I was meaning to let it not remove the buff. So, buff would proc, you'd get 100 parry rating, your next parry would deal damage, you'd keep the 100 parry, ~10 seconds later your next parry would deal the damage again.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby MrDuck » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 am

Well it's certainly more avoidance on average than what Agility gives. Threat-wise, the little crit from agi could do about the same maybe, and i'm not concerned about threat at all anyway, dropping potency out of question. So I'd question in what way this enchant is not the best tanking enchant?
MrDuck

Postby Varmin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 am

Agi would be very close, also factoring in the armor gain. Blood Draining is quite capable for survivability as well.
Varmin

Postby Candiru » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:10 am

The problem with Blade Ward is that its randomly goes up,but disappears as soon as you parry. This makes it suffer from DR twice, once in the smaller % from rating, and again in the smaller % of your parry chance the proc becomes.

I think I'll stick with potency for now, maybe get Agility or Blood Draining later. Blood draining worries me slightly with the AD interaction though.
Candiru

Postby Serelynn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:02 am

I'd say the question with Blade Warding is can you count on it to provide you avoidance when you need it? For example: it could proc when attacking Deconstructor's heart, then fall off and not activate again till the next heart phase. The fact it's consumed upon your next parry is also disappointing. Doesn't Mongoose still provide a higher uptime and greater amount of avoidance even at 80? 26 Agility would also provide a constant amount of avoidance.

I might run the enchant tonight and see what it looks like after a 3.5 hour raid. If anything, maybe we can make the point to Blizzard it needs to be buffed a bit.
Serelynn

Postby Jazmine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 pm

So considering ppl with the enchants on ur server are charging around 1k to enchant this w/ ur own mats, would you guys say the benefits do not really outweigh the costs?
Jazmine

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Jazmine wrote:So considering ppl with the enchants on ur server are charging around 1k to enchant this w/ ur own mats, would you guys say the benefits do not really outweigh the costs?

That's my reaction to it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby MrDuck » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Well i bought the ench immediately when i've seen it on ah for 800g about one or two days after ulduar has opened, and i'm not regretting it. It could be better, but it's still up pretty often and usually procs ~10 times in an average fight (checked XT and Ignis parses). It can be unlucky and not proc once in a fight, but it's the same thing with avoidance. Having static chance looks better to me than having chance to have higher chance, however, when the chance to have higher chance giver actually higher chance on average than the static chance is (the sentence got pretty messy already ay?), i'm gonna like it afterall.
MrDuck

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 pm

The thing is I don't think you can say definitively, that Blade Ward gives a higher chance on average. Blade Ward's average avoidance is affected by both the amount of parry you have and the speed in which the boss swings.

Has the PPM rate been established yet? If so, we can probably math it out easily enough.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby MrDuck » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Fridmarr wrote:The thing is I don't think you can say definitively, that Blade Ward gives a higher chance on average. Blade Ward's average avoidance is affected by both the amount of parry you have and the speed in which the boss swings.

Has the PPM rate been established yet? If so, we can probably math it out easily enough.
Well i'm sadly not doing overall stats for my raids, however from my observations it seems to proc around 1,5ppm. You can go through logs on http://mrduck.no-ip.info/sws/index.php if you are that interested. However, it seems to be around 10procs avg on these 6min fights.
MrDuck

Postby oldboyz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:04 pm

just enchanted BW on my current weapon, may be not statisticaly interesting vs monotarget, but quite sure much more fun with multi (on top of 5/5 reck. :mrgreen: ) just more dps !! just think Emalon's add ( thinking about a dedicaced gear oriented cap hit&expertise)

still dont konw which enchant on my future ulduar weapon... :roll:
oldboyz

Postby Serelynn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 am

Another WWS: http://wowwebstats.com/rnvkldgbalzms

Specifically: http://wowwebstats.com/rnvkldgbalzms?s= ... er=unit%3D"Serelynn"+AND+spell%3D"Blade+Warding"

In a 5 minute 19 seconds encounter against Ignis, Blade Warding applied 6 times but 4 of those times the buff fell off without a parry. It just feels like in any realistic encounter, it won't be up enough during parts of the fight where it would be useful. :\
Serelynn

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations