Enchant Weapon: Blade Ward - testing results

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Enchant Weapon: Blade Ward - testing results

Postby Racolus » Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 pm

This enchant is really not good IMO:

It can stack, but the way it goes off simply make it hard to stack, let alone multiple proc.

The PPM discussed here is about right, thus it is NOT defend-wise NOR threat-wise.

For defend I would prefer Agility, for threat I would go for Accuracy.

What I propose a fine tune of it will be:

Make it procs a little more and make it doesn't stack

Make the damage done a one time hit, and it will not make the buff to go off.
Racolus

Postby toothdecaykills » Fri May 15, 2009 6:13 am

Now I may be completely off base here, but would Seal of the Martyr (Blood) have any effect on the proc chance? As far as I know (not much :P), SoM is basically an additional melée attack that follows melée rules. In that case, would the additional attack increase the proc chance much like additional attacks grant a Warrior a higher average?
toothdecaykills

Postby Zibey » Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 am

I wonder bout that as well...
As far as I noticed everything that refreshes Divine Plea can also procc the enchant. Not sure how to use it for testing tho :P.

Edit:

I've left my pally with SoB banging on a dummy for 25 minutes. Got 21 proccs - makes me doubt in SoB proccing Blade Warding.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby raen » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 pm

toothdecaykills wrote:SoM is basically an additional melée attack that follows melée rules.

Combat log shows the SoMartyr/Blood damage proc as holy damage (and it can be reflected by spell reflection mechanics) so this will definitely not trigger any 'chance on melee attack' proc effect.
raen

Postby Zibey » Sat May 16, 2009 5:26 am

Yes, but so is Judgement, and JoV does procc Blade Warding - same as refreshes DP.

Bottom line is - SoB doesnt procc the buff.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby Candiru » Mon May 18, 2009 6:06 am

SoB used to proc things, back in TBC.

It was removed at some point though, which made me sad.

Meant with SoB up JoW procced twice as often which with a fast weapon meant you could solo mobs very well back then. I did most of my TBC levelling(well, post-64) with JoW and SoB up.

Used to proc weapon enchants too iirc, but it was specifically changed to not have a chance to proc things. (Probably back then to avoid Alliance QQ from ret paladins to quite the extent it would be with half the mana of horde and less damage..)
Candiru

Postby toothdecaykills » Thu May 21, 2009 10:38 am

Zibey wrote:Yes, but so is Judgement, and JoV does procc Blade Warding - same as refreshes DP.

Bottom line is - SoB doesnt procc the buff.

A pity. I'm sure it'd be stronger if it did, though that would also need to be extended so as to include the small amount of Holy damage triggered by SoV when a full stack is present.

Alas, that is simply wishful thinking. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it for the forseeable future. Can't have the guild supply the abyss crystals to swap back to accuracy until I get an upgrade. Hopin to get shiver this weekend :)
toothdecaykills

Postby Azulito » Fri May 22, 2009 1:51 pm

incoming hotfix??? i hope :( i got it on both titangaurd and Thunderfury. :) i'm thinking i'll go with the hit enchant on titangaurd now though.
Azulito

Postby Fridmarr » Fri May 22, 2009 1:54 pm

What? Do you have a some info you'd like to share?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm

Did anyone notice any proc change on PTR 3.2 ?
On live realms i barely see it procing, mailny on WWS after. But i went to try it on PTR whacking Thrym and stacks 2-3 where common during fight, or maybe it was because i speced with Reckoning 3/5 ?
The liver is evil. It must be punished!
Arnel

Postby CircuAuchindoun » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:41 am

What seal where you using, I'm assuming SoV, perhaps the changes to that might be adding to its proc rate?
Regardless I'm happy to hear its actually stacking with a spec that includes Reckoning, seeing as I recently put Blade Ward on my Shiver and have been considering trying some points in Reckoning after the patch.
CircuAuchindoun

Postby Arnel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 pm

So a bit more detailed information maybe it will go handy for someone.
This Gear was used on both PTR and Live. Ive had BoSanc and Seal of Corruption on both tries. Test subject was Thrym, and so.
With this spec on live ive got 9 Blade ward procs threw the fight unlucky my dinner was already burning and i got splated just before end but overall the fight was longer than on PTR here you have WWS

With this build and same gear on Thrym, ive killed him without bigger trouble and blade ward proced 19 times on PTR here you have WWS
The liver is evil. It must be punished!
Arnel

Postby steadypal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 pm

im thinking 5stack SOV hit has a chance to proc blade ward, working as intended nobody knows
steadypal

Postby Candiru » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am

I know that the only reason the SoB proc didn't proc things is they changed it a long time ago to specifically no longer proc weapon enchants, judgement of wisdom etc.

SoComm procs them, so any proc which uses melee crit probably procs them by default? Might get nerfed though.
Candiru

Postby Arees » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:51 am

The increased proc rate sounds like it may be a bug according to this.

Also, GC said here:

Ghostcrawler wrote:On the current PTR build, there is a bug with the proc code itself causing it to behave strangely. You are likely to see bugs on the PTR with anything related to procs. This includes talents such as Art of War, etc.

There is an unrelated bug with Ardent Defender that makes Prot paladins more and more survivable as their health approaches zero such that it is literally impossible to kill them... though Chaos Bolt might work.

Take any balance issues on the current build with a grain of salt. We will try to get a new PTR build up soon(tm).

So I wouldn't bother testing Blade Ward until they fix this.
Arees

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations