Pally Tank Threat Questions post 3.1

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Pally Tank Threat Questions post 3.1

Postby Ivliss » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:22 am

I was running through some heroics with friends, to test out the 3.1 changes and my new spec and noticed my threat generation was way off from pre 3.1. Not sure if its my spec, gear or rotation. Anyone else noticed a substantial drop in threat since the patch. I have linked my armory so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what to tweak let me know (and yes I am trying to find a better trinket the vengence deck they just wont drop :)) Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Ivliss
Ivliss/ 70 Prot Pally/ Baelgun
Ivliss

Re: Pally Tank Threat Questions post 3.1

Postby toothdecaykills » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:53 am

If anything, I've noticed a pretty noticeable increase on threat, especially in the opening moments of pulls. Having Exorcism for everything has changed how I handle my initial pull. There is no doubt in my mind that the pull tends to screw up the 969 for the first few moments, but I seem to naturally fall into it pretty quickly. I don't really mind that because it gives me more than enough threat to handle nearly all situations.

I do not like 'accidentally' peeling trash off of the other tanks, but I suppose as long as it's hitting one of us, then there truly isn't a problem.

Edit: If I may ask, why Imp HoJ and no Imp Dev Aura? Why points in Reckoning? Why 2/2 SA? You could easily get 3/3 Crusade as well, though that won't noticeably increase your threat, every little bit will help.
toothdecaykills

Postby Ankiseth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am

I've seen a threat increase tbh. 25mans and 10 mans at least. I pulled off the other tank on Hodir, had to wall the frozen blows >.>

Exo is just plain wonderful for pulling(AS, Exo, win).
"Why was there bacon in the soap?" -Zim
"I'm not saying stupidity should require capital punishment but can't we take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" -Bash.org
Ankiseth

Postby Ivliss » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 am

maybe thats the trick I need to modify my pull rotation to use exorcism more. I also have not glyphed my avengers shield so it is still hitting 3 targets. Is the extra damage on a single target worth the lost threat on the other two?
Ivliss/ 70 Prot Pally/ Baelgun
Ivliss

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:34 am

Ivliss wrote:maybe thats the trick I need to modify my pull rotation to use exorcism more. I also have not glyphed my avengers shield so it is still hitting 3 targets. Is the extra damage on a single target worth the lost threat on the other two?

Typically? No.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Dracora » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

Odd, my TPS went through the roof. Now I do the most threat out of all the tanks in my guild.
"Those who are strong have to be right."
~ Wufei Chang
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&n=Dracora
Dracora

Postby toothdecaykills » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
Ivliss wrote:maybe thats the trick I need to modify my pull rotation to use exorcism more. I also have not glyphed my avengers shield so it is still hitting 3 targets. Is the extra damage on a single target worth the lost threat on the other two?

Typically? No.

I agree here, the utility of a multiple target pulling tool (or intercept) is fantastic. Also remember that it silences now. Check out Knaughty's 3.1 Advanced FAQ to keep up on the mechanics in light of these changes.
toothdecaykills

Postby Argali » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Basic question, are you sure RF is on?

Also, is your noticed threat gen just someone getting aggro faster, or accidentally pulling a mob, or based on numbers? Some classes got buffs to certain abilities, so certain class/specs combinations will do more dmg.
Argali

Postby Karnah » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 pm

I share the opinion that our threat has increased, although i suppose it depends on how you have chosen to spec. Having gone 18 ret, a threat increase was to be expected.
Karnah

Postby Auroris » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:43 pm

What I am confused with....

Holy Shield

Avenger's Shield

hammer of the righteous

Shield of the righteous - already said in patch notes.

ALL these spells used to say 'This ability causes a HIGH amount of threat.' Checked tooltip - None. I feel like I am messing up now, cause I was always tipping 7k to 9k tps consistantly per boss. And now I have been reduced to 4k to 7k consistant jumps. And really - yeah, it is enough. But god it is pissing me off. My OCD is driving me crazy with this. I have face smashed a continual of 9696 over and over, and I don't know.
"Someday the Glory will Fade and only Memories will remain."
Auroris

Postby Varmin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:07 am

The only ability that actually had that on the tooltip was Shield or Righteousness. Also, the tooltip was a lie and it didn't actually cause any bonus threat.

Your threat should have increased, you most likely gained 2-3 points in crusade which would be 2-6% extra damage, there is no reason for your threat to have decrease except for a change in gear raid setup etc.
Varmin

Postby Ocin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:24 am

With my block set on in OS on trash, I saw my threat spike up to 11k at a few points. Seemed to normalize once I was on Sarth, but was still pretty high on him with my armory gear (mostly stam with more dodge then block). Our other prot paladin pulled off our DK tank a few times, but he was in his low block set.
Ocin

Postby toothdecaykills » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 am

Ocin wrote:With my block set on in OS on trash, I saw my threat spike up to 11k at a few points. Seemed to normalize once I was on Sarth, but was still pretty high on him with my armory gear (mostly stam with more dodge then block). Our other prot paladin pulled off our DK tank a few times, but he was in his low block set.

I'm having trouble actively staying UNDER another tank's threat. Even in FR gear for Hodir (trivializes the fight) I'm really close to ripping him off the warrior after a couple lucky crits. I've rarely ever had this level of threat control while offtanking (thank you GbtL!) so it's a new and exciting feeling :)
toothdecaykills

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 pm

toothdecaykills wrote:
Ocin wrote:With my block set on in OS on trash, I saw my threat spike up to 11k at a few points. Seemed to normalize once I was on Sarth, but was still pretty high on him with my armory gear (mostly stam with more dodge then block). Our other prot paladin pulled off our DK tank a few times, but he was in his low block set.

I'm having trouble actively staying UNDER another tank's threat. Even in FR gear for Hodir (trivializes the fight) I'm really close to ripping him off the warrior after a couple lucky crits. I've rarely ever had this level of threat control while offtanking (thank you GbtL!) so it's a new and exciting feeling :)

Yeah, permanent Plea while offtanking is really beautiful for letting me "dps" effectively. I can't maintain a full dps rotation 100% of the time without SA or BoS returns, but exorcism is very cheap and not needing holy shield saves some mana. I can definitely gain ground on our warrior when he's tanking a boss and I'm not.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Equitas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:52 pm

TPS is insane right now, prot paladin is probably the only way to manage Hodir hard mode right now.

Were fine where we are.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations