The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: The use of Sacred Shield as a Tank?

Postby Levantine » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:27 am

You do realise that if you're speccing properly a Holy SS is stronger than a Prot SS, right?

Also, holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

Levantine

Postby Funkyfart » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 am

properly as holy
a holydin shud properly put talents so he can boost his healing/crit as a talent tree
not to screw up points in prot so that a SS would be more better but thats just my opinion
Funkyfart

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Funkyfart wrote:properly as holy
a holydin shud properly put talents so he can boost his healing/crit as a talent tree
not to screw up points in prot so that a SS would be more better but thats just my opinion

Your conception of what is "proper" for a holy paladin to do is quite out of touch with what most high-end raiding holy paladins agree upon. Since the last illumination nerf, crit is extremely mediocre for holy paladins and dumping points in ret has gone the way of the dodo. A holy paladin's sacred shield, when specced into divine guardian, absorbs a lot more than a prot paladin's, and you should be specced into it anyway for two reasons:

a) you may have to heal something other than a prot paladin as tank, in which case spending a gcd every 30 seconds to keep SS up rather than every 60 seconds means a drop in throughput. With the various non-direct healing spells holy paladins have to cast and their general role as tank spammers, losing a gcd every 30 seconds, on top of gcds lost for beacon, pleaing, throwing hands around etc, when it could be every 60 seconds, is highly undesireable. Plus your sacred shield would absorb a lot less.

b) divine guardian is an incredibly potent raid cooldown for a lot of situations, the more people in your raid specced into it the better.
Rhiannon

Postby 1zabest » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:19 pm

I've never come to a fight where me dieing as the tank was the limiting factor to getting the kill. It is usually lack of DPS, tards not being able to understand game mechanics or other annoying reasons as to why a boss can't be killed in my raids. Hence I never use it, because I am lazy like that.
80 / Prot Pally / Gundrak
1zabest

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations