Glyph of Divine Plea

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Glyph of Divine Plea

Postby Quacky » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:28 pm

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?item=45745#created-by

I remember when the PTR's just started there was a question of how this will stack with other 3% dmg reduction abilities particularly BoS. (Grace and Vigilance or the other two in the same buff category that I am aware of). A dozen pages of 3.1 talks went on and I got lost in all the details. Did we find out how this if this glyph stacks? If so is it a "more or less mandatory" glyph then?
Quacky

Re: Glyph of Divine Plea

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 pm

If so it is probably mandatory. I don't know that anyone has done any definitive testing on it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Spectrum » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:34 pm

I don't think it stacks.

If they wanted to bring us in line with other tanks and increase our base mitigation they wouldn't do it through a Glyph. Glyphs are supposed to be more optional play-style decisions, and 3% damage reduction would be required for any serious tank.

On the other hand, if it doesn't stack it's just giving paladins a way to get the 3% damage reduction without having to put up sanctuary, freeing us up to have it up with kings and not have to worry about getting it from a discipline priest.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Wibu » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:37 pm

99% sure it stacks. Yes, it's a mandatory glyph, but Blizzard aren't against mandatory glyps, they want more mandatory feeling glyphs so you have to make gamestyle choices like you do with talents with them.
BigCrit.com - The WoW Raiding Forums ... Coming Soon.
Wibu

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:43 pm

There will always be best glyphs and they will always feel mandatory, and I agree with GC that those are fine. I think this one goes too far into the realm of balancing via glyphs.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dakiros » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:32 am

Spectrum wrote:I don't think it stacks.

If they wanted to bring us in line with other tanks and increase our base mitigation they wouldn't do it through a Glyph. Glyphs are supposed to be more optional play-style decisions, and 3% damage reduction would be required for any serious tank.

On the other hand, if it doesn't stack it's just giving paladins a way to get the 3% damage reduction without having to put up sanctuary, freeing us up to have it up with kings and not have to worry about getting it from a discipline priest.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they remove the 3% damage reduction from BoSanc?
Dakiros

Postby majiben » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:03 am

You are wrong.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Dakiros » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:13 am

Mmmkay. Thought when I read the patch notes all it had shown was the mana return and nothing about the DR. Of course I can't look now.
Dakiros

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 am

Dakiros wrote:Mmmkay. Thought when I read the patch notes all it had shown was the mana return and nothing about the DR. Of course I can't look now.

It only referenced what *changed* about BoSanc, which was the regen component

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Dakiros » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 am

Well I'm happy I read it wrong then, at least its still a somewhat useful buff for non-tankadins.
Dakiros

Postby caerdydd » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 am

MMOChampion wrote:Gives all members of the raid or group that share the same class with the target the Greater Blessing of Sanctuary, reducing damage taken from all sources by 3% for 30 min. In addition, when the target blocks, parries, or dodges a melee attack the target will gain 2% of maximum displayed mana. Players may only have one Blessing on them per Paladin at any one time.

This is what MMO Champion says about the BoS.
I'm pretty sure that BoS and the new glyph will stack otherwise they wouldn't have add it would they?
caerdydd

Postby Spectrum » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Fridmarr wrote:There will always be best glyphs and they will always feel mandatory, and I agree with GC that those are fine. I think this one goes too far into the realm of balancing via glyphs.

On my two 80s thus far, a resto shaman and my tankadin, I liked that there were a few glyphs that definitely felt great, like you probably wouldn't want to run without them, but you had 1-2 major slots for which you had a few options based on your play style. For us tankadins we had people advocating LoH, RD, Judgement, and Exorcism glyphs (and probably some others). It made it feel like you had options. I wouldn't have called any of those "mandatory", but the RD glyph was definitely a cut above the rest and judgements stood out too.

This one feels like you'd be laughed at for not taking it if it stacks. It feels too mandatory, but I think it really gets into what Fridmarr is saying there. It would feel like they were giving us a significant part of our baseline mitigation through this glyph and fixing balance issues by creating a new mandatory glyph doesn't feel right.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Salamandra » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Eh... there are completely mandatory glyphs from other classes/specs. A holy paladin without glyph of holy light is ridiculous. An elemental shaman without glyph of lava is ridiculous. Having one pretty much mandatory glyph, I think, is fine. Having more than one cuts down on any customizability glyph slots can give, two glyphs to put whatever you want in is enough IMO.

And yet Elemental Shamans essentially have 3 mandatory glyphs, anyone who has anything other than Glyph of Lava/Glyph of Lightning Bolt/Glyph of Flame Shock is doing it wrong. Glyph of Lightning Bolt is close to a 3% increase in damage done. Glyph of Flame Shock is more than 3% increase in damage done.

Only having 2 where the choice isn't immediately obvious isn't so bad.
Salamandra

Postby Iselian » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 am

Mandatory blessings aside... confirm/deny, Glyph of Divine Plea stacks with Sanct/Vigilance?
Iselian

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:00 am

Yes, again it stacks.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations