The effects of Weapon Skill

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Lore » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah the "Lame" was more because it means I can't look through the logs we've been posting every week to check parry rates :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby corc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Lore wrote:
Everlight wrote:The parry rate on Venoxis seems freakishly low compared to actual TBC bosses. Only 11.5% parries? Compare this rate to pretty much any other TBC boss, you'll notice their parry rate is typically a lot higher.

You may be on to something.

There's a level 73 elite mob in Nagrand, up on the plateau to the west: http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=22357

He might be worth testing on.

Also, how the heck do I find parry rate in a WWS log? >.>

wow and you guys were bitching to me when _I_ didn't believe those results :P

I'll look up this mob you speak of, must test out for sure!
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Ferrosis » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:51 am

Sorry to necro this thread but, my math/ability to concentrate isn't up to this task.

Post #34 from thread: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=2
Raid boss base chance to be missed by level 70 with full weapon skill to 350: 8.6%
Raid boss base chance to dodge attack by level 70 with full weapon skill to 350: 8.6%
Raid boss base chance to parry attack by level 70 with full weapon skill to 350: 8.6%
Raid boss base chance to block attack by level 70 with full weapon skill to 350: 8.6%
Total chance your attack misses the raid boss: 34.4%

This 8.6% is based on 3 things.

1) 5% base chance for each.
2) .04% chance for each per point of difference in weaponskill vs defense (.6% each at 15 point difference)
3) .2% chance for each per point of difference in weapon skill vs. defense, given a greater than 10 point difference. This changes to a .1% chance when the difference is 10 points or less. This is where the "1% added chance per level above you" comes from.

At 356 weapon skill vs. 365 defense, the difference is only 9.

Therefore:

1) 5% base miss.
2) .04% chance to each per point of difference or .36% to each.
3) .1% chance to each per point of difference or .9% to each.

Hence, each of Miss, Dodge, Parry and Block have only a 6.26% chance, or a total of 25.08% for one of your attacks to "miss" the boss.

34.4% chance at 0/5, vs. 25.08% chance at 3/5 = 9.32% greater chance to score a hit on said boss.

The 3rd point is the key point, since it is where the .2% per point changes to .1% per point.

Ignoring his initial assumptions, about a base 5% for a bosses parry/dodge/block values, his math appears to be flawed but... it appears wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Can anybody help explain why his numbers are either right or wrong, given present information?
Ferrosis

Postby Glam » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 am

Anyone know how much the hosting fee is? I'm stuck at work and can't get to the site.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am... PALADIN!"
Armory - http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... ore&n=Glam

Glam
Lvl 80 Dwarf Paladin
Proudmore
Glam

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations