Paladins and AOE threat, now and in future

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Paladins and AOE threat, now and in future

Postby Soralin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:15 pm

To all the people stating "paladins dont need any snap threat", have a go at tanking adds (the whelps that spawn, as well the fire adds) on Sarth, or more up to date, have a go at tanking the arena at Thorim. If you haven't done that, I suggest that your experiences with AOE Tanking aren't really extensive enough for comment on our need for snap threat.

Back on topic, I made the switch to the HotR glyph for Thorim and it made an enormous difference to my ability to control the mobs. A little annoying I had to glyph to be as good at AoE tanking as our DK.
Soralin

Postby Varmin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 am

I'd probably be happy with consecration simply being buffed to a 10yrd range like DnD and TC. Though something like a 5s cooldown and 10s duration wouldn't be terrible, allowing you to use 2 when you really need the aoe threat.
Varmin

Postby toothdecaykills » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:09 am

Soralin wrote:To all the people stating "paladins dont need any snap threat", have a go at tanking adds (the whelps that spawn, as well the fire adds) on Sarth, or more up to date, have a go at tanking the arena at Thorim. If you haven't done that, I suggest that your experiences with AOE Tanking aren't really extensive enough for comment on our need for snap threat.

Back on topic, I made the switch to the HotR glyph for Thorim and it made an enormous difference to my ability to control the mobs. A little annoying I had to glyph to be as good at AoE tanking as our DK.

The HotR glyph is ridiculous for that fight. However, I usually don't have much trouble handling the mobs with or without it, nor did I ever have trouble with the whelps on Sarth. For example, on Sartharion, your Consecration spell is all you need to gather the initial whelp wave because of these simple reasons:

1. You know when they're coming.
2. You know where they're coming from.

As long as you place it properly, unlucky Flame Walls aside, your individual player skill will allow you to keep them on you. Once the mobs are on, further Consecrations, threat from Retribution Aura and Holy Shield, and your own active abilities will be enough to keep them at bay. There is no need here for an AoE snap aggro ability if you can successfully do this nearly every time without fail. This isn't a fluke moment is what I mean to say.

In fact, the only reason there ever would be a failure at this moment is if that tank failed at the initial round up. I don't condone supporting the addition of abilities to cover inadequacies in skill that other players can overcome easily.

On Thorim, it is slightly different. However, with the raid in the center of the room, I'm more than able to pick up nearly everything. Of course, the little Commoners may run off (as commoners are wont to do), but only in large numbers will they kill a healer. As long as you prioritize your hardest hitting single target abilities like Exorcism, Judgment, ShoR, and HoR on the big important mobs, you'll have your other tools like RD, Avenger's Shield, Consecration, and Hammer of the Righteous to use in whatever cases you feel are needed at that particular moment. Whether it be additional threat to hold the mobs already on you, or initial threat to tag a few Commoners running to the healers, if you pace yourself and remain aware, you can succeed without any need for a 'snap aggro aoe tool'.

Now this is wildly uninformative because it provides no actual data and only my personal experiences on the encounter, but the point I'm trying to make is that if I'm able to use these abilities successfully without an aoe snap aggro tool, then others can as well. I'm no god ;)
toothdecaykills

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations