Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis - WotLK/3.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis (A Jonesy derivative work)

Postby theckhd » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:21 pm

DisRuptive1 wrote:Theckhd, if I'm running 2/2 Vindication and 2/2 Pursuit of Justice and have 4 talent points left over after filling in the Prot. tree, where should they go to maximize threat, 1 in Conviction, 3 in Crusade or 4 in Seals of the Pure? If I'm reading your graphs right, 4 points in Seals of the Pure is better for non-DUH mobs?

That's correct, though 1V+3C isn't that far behind, and pulls way ahead on DUH mobs.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dread » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:12 am

theckhd wrote:That's correct, though 1V+3C isn't that far behind, and pulls way ahead on DUH mobs.

To caveat, which is why it will be the spec of choice in 3.2 with the Coliseum. Everything in there but the Jormungars fall under DUH-type mobs.
Dread

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:56 am

Dread wrote:
theckhd wrote:That's correct, though 1V+3C isn't that far behind, and pulls way ahead on DUH mobs.

To caveat, which is why it will be the spec of choice in 3.2 with the Coliseum. Everything in there but the Jormungars fall under DUH-type mobs.

BUT THERE ARE TWO OF THEM.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Oldpappa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:47 am

Please add to your glossary what a DUH-mob is
Oldpappa

Postby Candiru » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:49 am

I think a "HUDE" mob is better, since its pronounceable and has all the mob types. (Hue-d) And its a more colourful word! (ba-boom-tish)
Candiru

Postby jere » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 am

Oddly enough, I find DUH more pronounceable. HUDE has nothing for me to associate with while DUH is a very familiar word.
jere

Postby knaughty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 am

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

*cough*

Thought of something we forgot regarding Reckoning TPS: JoL procs.

(1) Healing aggro goes to the person healed.
(2) Proc rate is 50%
(3) Reck swings (used to) count to proc Light/Wis (I abused this at Brutallus)
(4) Heal is 900ish in decent gear (45k buffed health)
(5) Healing threat from each Reck swing is: 50% x 900 x 1.43 x 1.9 = 1,200ish
(5) Healing threat from a proc is thus ~4.8k or a little more

Question:
Where does this put Reck in TPS terms now?

Obviously, this assumes that the heal is worth something to you (IE: Not overheal). Also assumes I got the maths right - multipliers are:
Proc rate: 50%
Heal: 900
Tank stance: 1.43
Righteous Fury: 1.9
Swings per proc: 4 (fast weapon)
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:11 am

I thought JoL doesn't cause any threat any more. And I'm quite sure the heals count to the judging person, rather than the person making the procs. That or our ret paladin was healing rather than dps'ing last night to get 6k hps.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Candiru » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 am

yeah, all the JoL threat used to go to the judging paladin (in 3.0) but they fixed it so it caused no threat.

I remember tanking felmyst while DCed to a kill because I got a judgement of light in at the start. Crazy agro!
Candiru

Postby knaughty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:20 am

Did they change it to make the threat go to the person healed or was it set to zero?

I know it no longer goes to the judging paladin... it's actually hard to break 10k TPS now.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby majiben » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:17 am

I am 99% it's zero threat.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 am

I'm a 100% that the healing still counts to the judging paladin, would be rather odd if the threat goes to the attacker.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 am

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/4264 ... 0-8-a.html

Ghostcrawler wrote:One of the changes in 3.0.8 that we may or may not have announced is that we changed Judgment of Light to do no threat in order to fix some of this seemingly random behavior. We aren't trying to nerf Prot paladin threat overall with this change.

The topic came up again recently when Protadin OTs were accidentally pulling off the MT with huge threat spikes while tanking adds etc.

By the way, since 3.2 is coming out today, I'll be posting the finalized 3.2 calculations throughout the day. Unfortunately, I'll be really busy today as well, so it may take until later this afternoon or evening to get all of the important ones up.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Awyndel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 am

Hope those include the glyphs and threat stats per point. Think we covered most talents. Need to be ready for the tomorrow evening :P .

But take ur time theck, we all appreciate what ur doing a lot.

Bit of a different question. Not sure yet what the threat loss will be, we will prolly see it tonight, but does anybody think getting the taunt glyph is worth losing the vengeance glyph over. Or is it too situational? I am not sure when my 2 taunts both missed, but it does happen sometimes.

On the other hand one could argue that currently we already have the choice of 10 expertise vs safe taunts, and we don't do it coz we have 2 taunts. On the patch the glyph will fix 2 taunts, but on a boss it's already safe if it would fix one, so essentially the trade off stays the same, except for the fact that expertise will prolly be worth even more. And then there is parry haste, wondering if many bosses will still have it in collosseum.

Just brainstorming here, sorry if it seems confusing. It's just that it seems most ppl are giving up threat for utility these days, and this would fit right in that topic. Now I am not sure what the cost of this would be, compared to giving up some points in conviction. I do know that if 2 taunts miss, another tank could potentially be screwed for 8 seconds on some fights, then again, is that worth giving up 10 expertise on 1 tank fights.
Awyndel

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 am

I had been thinking about the taunt glyph question myself a week or so ago. The conclusion I came to was that since it was a utility glyph that was situational, it filled a similar niche to the HoSalv glyph. Now that we have our automatic 1-up every 2 minutes, the HoSalv glyph should be less mandatory, at least for Crusader's Coliseum. I think my current plan is to run DP+SoV and then keep stacks of HoSalv and RD glyphs in my inventory so I can swap based on what I actually need for a given encounter. There are very few encounters where you need both the extra cooldown and the guaranteed taunts (Thorim hard mode comes to mind, but I'm blanking on anything else).
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations