Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis - WotLK/3.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis (A Jonesy derivative work)

Postby Conaan! » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:49 pm

gregorian wrote:Theck im getting mixed signals here because for one, this thread is talking about maintanking but your armory is tuned towards trashtanking, so tuned in fact that i salute it for being 100% optimised for adds duty on nightfall/twi-vanq fights which are the only reason i would bet on.

unless of course you have an MT set which armory isnt showing...

if you dont then i can only assume sotp does more for your role since its value scales with the number of targets on you, up to a maximum of how many you can keep sov on.

the vibe im getting from your sotp v. conviction thoughts is that the difference itself is marginal, in which case i for one would simply accept the short loss in an MT scenario in order to gain a large advantage in a trash scenario.

would you?

his calculations are just simpler with single targets, with multi-targets you have the variable of how many mobs, and where, if they go out of range for hotr and so on, much simpler with single target

doesnt correlate with his gearing really
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Mavrix » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:29 am

Cidx wrote:
Mavrix wrote:
Cidx wrote:I think instead of using SoV glyph I'd use SoB glyph for more Mana Regen this could also mean those wanting to go 4/5 Benediction due to the SA change could go back to 3/3 HotC with 1 still in Benediction.

The SoB glyph has been changed and no longer has mana regen effects.

Last I read it gives 11% of damage done to you from SoB in mana and this was the last build before todays. Haven't seen any changes to it from today's build.

You're 100% correct and the error was mine. The new version SoB glyph was not what I had heard rumor that it would end up being.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby theckhd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:08 am

gregorian wrote:Theck im getting mixed signals here because for one, this thread is talking about maintanking but your armory is tuned towards trashtanking, so tuned in fact that i salute it for being 100% optimised for adds duty on nightfall/twi-vanq fights which are the only reason i would bet on.

unless of course you have an MT set which armory isnt showing...

if you dont then i can only assume sotp does more for your role since its value scales with the number of targets on you, up to a maximum of how many you can keep sov on.

the vibe im getting from your sotp v. conviction thoughts is that the difference itself is marginal, in which case i for one would simply accept the short loss in an MT scenario in order to gain a large advantage in a trash scenario.

would you?

I'm not one of those people that thinks about putting on a particular gear set before logging out, I just log out when I need to, regardless of what I have on. If you ever see me log out in a White Wedding Dress, don't consider that a statement about how I gear for tanking. ;)

I have both main tanking and trash tanking sets of gear. I just happen to log out in my trash tanking gear more often since it's the more generally-useful set (I wear it for Wintergrasp, Heroics, etc). My main tanking gear looks pretty much like Ratanna's BiS guide, minus the JC stuff (and the Unholy Knight bracers, which we've seen one of in how many weeks of naxx...grrr.....).

Also, the focus of this thread is on main-tanking because that is what most of the readers and posters on this forum are interested in. And as Conaan! said, the math becomes unnecessarily complicated when you have to consider multiple mobs. Most of us swap gear for trash and add tanking, but don't base our talent spec decisions on it.

But I would agree that at the moment, the difference between SotP and Conviction is marginal. I have no threat problems on anything at the moment, even 6-minute Malygos kills - I actually wear my trash tanking / block gear with DMC:G for those now for the extra damage, which makes threat a non-issue. So the slight hit to MT threat by choosing SotP isn't a concern, and has the added benefit of making threat management on trash and add-tanking easier. Also, I'm lazy, and haven't respecced since 3.0 was released, at which gear level SotP was ahead.

In 3.1 though, we'll have the option to spec Crusade. At that point, the difference is noticeable enough that I'd spec Crusade over SotP.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Theck, you're wonderful, I've just abused your work to come up with a cookie cutter for 3.1. Thanks.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby knaughty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Reported!

For sticky
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:51 pm

I hereby officially fulfil the first "Reported for Sticky".
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arees » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 pm

Worldie wrote:I hereby officially fulfil the first "Reported for Sticky".

I've been waiting for this thread to be stickied for a while. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
Arees

Postby æ » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:18 pm

This is probably the most valuable advanced protection Paladin information thread online.

Thanks Theck for the matlabs and awesome graphs that encompass so many things and Jonesy for his excel work.
You guys need a newsletter I can subscribe to.
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 am

Hey Theck,

Can you make a calculation (if possible with T8.25) which glyphe would be more tps?

- Judgement +10%
- Exorcism +20%
- Capt. Ironforge Shield Throw +100% (yes, I know, can't use that on CD because of 969 problems anyhow *g*)

I have one or two slots empty for TPS Glyphes (in MainTank or TPS/OT Talentspec), so would be nice which one will be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks!
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 am

Exorcism is a nonstarter from previous tests as it don't increase it's tps enough to make subing it better.

Haven't seen him run Capt America in a long time though.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby theckhd » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:18 am

Sarkan-ZdC wrote:Hey Theck,

Can you make a calculation (if possible with T8.25) which glyphe would be more tps?

- Judgement +10%
- Exorcism +20%
- Capt. Ironforge Shield Throw +100% (yes, I know, can't use that on CD because of 969 problems anyhow *g*)

I have one or two slots empty for TPS Glyphes (in MainTank or TPS/OT Talentspec), so would be nice which one will be the best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Yeah, I should have a few interesting results ready for posting today, which I'll edit quickly so that I have the answer to your glyph question.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Zironic » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 am

Since HS sub is currently looking so much better then everything else I think I'd like to see how the boss attack speed would affect that. I assume you're currently using 2.4 but what happens with 1.8 which seems to be the attack speed of many naxx bosses?
Zironic

Postby Candiru » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 am

I think Judgement replaced by Exorcism will be much more viable in 3.1, since we get a new libram which has passive BV rather than Judgement-procced.

Of course then you have to hope you don't let your thunderclap fall off.
Candiru

Postby Markoh » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 am

Edit: Guess I was wrong
Last edited by Markoh on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markoh

Postby majiben » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 am

They have changed it
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations