Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis - WotLK/3.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis (A Jonesy derivative work)

Postby fafhrd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 am

theckhd wrote:Thanks. The lowbie 5-mans are 72 elites, so they won't work. But Saurfang blood beasts will be fine. However, I can already guess what they'll be from your data.

Code: Select all
level   armor
80   9729
81  10033
82      ?
83  10643

If you plot those three, you get a straight line of the form:
armor = 305*level - 14672

So a level 82 should be around 10338 armor based on the fit.

I actually suspect the fit is off slightly, as the lvl 80 value differs by 1 armor and the intercept is negative. In all likelihood it's a nonlinear function, but we're looking at a small enough level range that it's locally linear.

In a shocking turn of events the blood beasts (http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8940/w ... 000437.jpg) have ... 10338 armor.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Jackinthegreen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 am

Awesome work on the threat, although there is something I'm wondering...

Why is Black Bruise listed when it's a fist weapon? Warriors could probably use it well, but paladins can't.

In regards to threat, wouldn't Reckoning's last point gain more since it also includes blocks? Given the interactions of Redoubt's proc and Holy Shield combined we'll be blocking about 40% of all melee attacks. 10% of that would be 4% at least, so the last point could be worth at least three of the previous talent points.
Jackinthegreen

Postby Arees » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Jackinthegreen wrote:In regards to threat, wouldn't Reckoning's last point gain more since it also includes blocks? Given the interactions of Redoubt's proc and Holy Shield combined we'll be blocking about 40% of all melee attacks. 10% of that would be 4% at least, so the last point could be worth at least three of the previous talent points.

Reckoning has always procced on blocks. However, during TBC it didn't proc on a block that negated all damage. This was changed during the beta for wotlk and the wording was changed to reflect what you are talking about. However, ranks 1 - 4 will still proc on a full block.
Arees

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Finkum wrote:One extra feature I'd be keen to see in your analysis Theck is to account for the various racial benefits for different weapon types.

As a dwarf paladin, I have always tried to find tanking maces to get the free +5 expertise bonus, but obviously increased weapon damage from higher iLevel non-mace weapons will outpace the benefits of the additional expertise at some point.

This is possible, but it seems like a lot of work to generate a different plot for every race. Especially since you can just look at the stat analysis and figure out how much DPS your racial is worth, and modify the weapon results by hand.

The short version is that a 5 expertise racial is worth about 40 expertise rating, which is ~150 TPS according to the stat graphs. That's enough to boost a weapon up an entire ilvl tier. Of course, it's only about half that if you have 26 expertise without the weapon equipped.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Jackinthegreen wrote:Why is Black Bruise listed when it's a fist weapon? Warriors could probably use it well, but paladins can't.

Because in my haste to include all the new weapons, I failed to notice it was a fist weapon. I'll take it out for round 3. :P
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Jackinthegreen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:03 pm

WATERBOYsh wrote:Reckoning has always procced on blocks. However, during TBC it didn't proc on a block that negated all damage. This was changed during the beta for wotlk and the wording was changed to reflect what you are talking about. However, ranks 1 - 4 will still proc on a full block.

Ah, then it's a tooltip oversight. The talent on points 1-4 only reads as proccing off damaging attacks. Looks like something worthwhile to report if only for the sake of accuracy.

@Theck: :P Thanks. lol
Jackinthegreen

Postby Ocin » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm seeing insane DPS on 10 and 25 man ICC trash with the SoC spec. I was 3 on Recount for overall DPS on 25 and I was fighting a rogue for first place on 10 man. As far as my armory and what's different from my normal set, I used a slow 1-handed axe from one of the new heroics and a DKM strength card instead of the Ignus trinket. 7700 DPS sustained and sometimes spiking higher.

For the new heroics, I'm seeing 3-4k overall DPS, but not as much as I thought. No where near 6k. Is anyone seeing 6k in the new heroics and can you sandbox your gear set and spec?
Ocin

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Ocin wrote:For the new heroics, I'm seeing 3-4k overall DPS, but not as much as I thought. No where near 6k. Is anyone seeing 6k in the new heroics and can you sandbox your gear set and spec?

I easily Break 6k in the new heroics. I'm logged out in my threat gear atm.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby rocket » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:49 am

damn you wrathy! i couldnt get that blade. hopefully within a month...
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Ocin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:30 am

Wrathy wrote:
Ocin wrote:For the new heroics, I'm seeing 3-4k overall DPS, but not as much as I thought. No where near 6k. Is anyone seeing 6k in the new heroics and can you sandbox your gear set and spec?

I easily Break 6k in the new heroics. I'm logged out in my threat gear atm.

Hrm....I'll have to put my ret rings into this set.
Ocin

Postby theckhd » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:56 am

I've been pretty consistently breaking 6k on heroic trash nowadays. The only gear changes I make are to wear as much high-STR tanking gear as possible, swap trinkets to DMC:G and Mirror's Truth, use a Black Icicle with Berserking, and occasionally wear my ret boots with Nitro Boosts for faster pulling and extra dps. I'm wearing most of it on my armory currently.

I also gemmed my T9 legs with Bold rubies for my "lolheroics" set, now that I have the 264 ICC legs with hit on them.
theckhd

Postby rocket » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:52 pm

do you all see that you are leading the dps on random heroics, in particular with cross realm pugs?

certainly there will be something fixed...else the 264 gear is really that phenomenal

5 man buffed for me:
51+k HP
nearly 30k armor
6000 dps average for a pack
4000 dps average for the run.

im gonna use my ret rings to see some dps bumpage.
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby æ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:35 am

Theck thought you might like to see this over at wowhead. http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=137045&p=1707337
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby Wrathy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:53 am

æ wrote:Theck thought you might like to see this over at wowhead. http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=137045&p=1707337

It's not really my place, but something like this at a highly trafficked site is great from a recognition stand point for all of theck's hard work, but as someone who only maintains one guide, I can say that its always changing and some of his information is already slightly dated because its coming from a second hand source.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:10 pm

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm a little flattered, and I'm always glad to see that people are making use of my calculations.

At the same time, most of what he's posted is the same stuff I keep updated in the TPS Analysis section of the Guides menu. Once I get around to updating the Agility and Expertise articles for 3.3, those will be posted there as well.

Still, I try to make everything I do as accessible as possible, and having a post on the wowhead forums easily does more good than harm in that respect. As long as he links back to the source material so people know where the theorycraft is coming from, I'm fine with it.

My only complaint is about a comment he made in one of his replies to Wrathy:
ArgentSun wrote:Hence the [Advanced] tag :) I don't think new paladins should be using MainTankadin - there are plenty of stickies, both here and there, that go over the basics of tanking.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. The forums here have excellent resources for beginners, both in terms of guides and knowledgeable advice-givers.
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations