Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis - WotLK/3.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB TPS analysis (A Jonesy derivative work)

Postby trellian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 am

It still is. However, they added 5% extra HotR damage.

(2) Set: Decreases the cooldown on your Hand of Reckoning ability by 2 sec and increases the damage done by your Hammer of the Righteous ability by 5%.
trellian

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 am

WATERBOYsh wrote:
Awyndel wrote:Could we have an estimate of how much STR the t9 2 set bonus is worth?

Have I missed something? I thought the T9 2 set bonus gave us a -2 seconds on our taunt cooldown?

And 5% damage to HotR.

By the way, for those interested in the mathy side of avoidance, I just posted a pretty thorough step-by-step revision of the "Avoidance value of Expertise" over in this thread. Provided it's right, expertise is roughly 75-85% as good as dodge rating at mitigating incoming damage (by removing parries from the attack table). Which would make it viable to use expertise as a combination threat/avoidance stat (at least up to the cap), and makes us a little happier about all the expertise on our T9 set and it's off-set equivalents.

Also, I should point out that I don't think RatingBuster currently includes expertise in it's "avoidance sum" calculation. So if you're using it to compare tier pieces to badge pieces in terms of upgrades, like I was doing last night, keep that in mind. You might have to do some hand-calculations if you want to include this factor in your considerations.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby amh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:11 am

theckhd wrote:Also, interesting note: Retribution Aura (Improved) is worth 52 DPS (144 TPS), and Thorns is worth 34 DPS (49 TPS), according to the code. So the presence or absence of Thorns is worth almost two points in Reckoning.

Neither procs on a blocked hit, unfortunately.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:26 am

They do on partially blocked hits.
jere

Postby amh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 am

jere wrote:They do on partially blocked hits.

Ah, of course. That helps a bit.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 am

amh wrote:Neither procs on a blocked hit, unfortunately.

I never thought to check that, but on any boss that matters you shouldn't be full-blocking anyway (and if you are... i guess the boss doesn't matter anymore? I dunno).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby amh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:58 am

Been soloing lately, didn't think to check on anything that actually hits hard :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Nadir » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 am

I feel that the other side of this discussion isn't hashed out as well. How much TPS does one need to keep threat off of a given DPS class who is equally as gear as the tank? Based on my gut feeling, Warlocks and Ferals are probably the two classes that we need to most watch out for on Omen.

How would one go about converting a Warlock or Feral's DPS into a TPS figure? I've had several discussions in my guild recently about what DPS is going to look like in hard mode 3.2 gear. I'm starting to wonder if their supposed massive DPS gains will begin out scaling tank threat at the top end.
Nadir

Postby Sailboat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:35 am

I feel that the other side of this discussion isn't hashed out as well. How much TPS does one need to keep threat off of a given DPS class who is equally as gear as the tank? Based on my gut feeling, Warlocks and Ferals are probably the two classes that we need to most watch out for on Omen.

How would one go about converting a Warlock or Feral's DPS into a TPS figure? I've had several discussions in my guild recently about what DPS is going to look like in hard mode 3.2 gear. I'm starting to wonder if their supposed massive DPS gains will begin out scaling tank threat at the top end.

omen does have a tps column so you can see a quantitative (albeit estimated) value for raid member's threat. as far as exact spell-threat conversions for warlock and feral dps, i have no idea.

the answer to the "how much tps does one need vs. equal geared tank" question is simply 110/130% more tps than the next highest threat producer, as threat from gear (dps or tank) can scale downward or upward.

on our hodir hard kills (10man exclusive), our destro warlock pulls anywhere from 10-13k tps and we are ilevel for ilevel pretty close. i generally do about 10k, and i try to grab the first storm cloud buff to help.
through my experience in os/naxx/maly/uld and the beginning of totc, our raids threat percentage has stayed pretty close to the same the whole time, with the values increasing at what so far has seemed to be an even pace.
Sailboat

Postby Arees » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Sailboat wrote:omen does have a tps column so you can see a quantitative (albeit estimated) value for raid member's threat. as far as exact spell-threat conversions for warlock and feral dps, i have no idea.

Its not estimated at all. It gets the data from the threat API that blizzard supplies.
Arees

Postby Soralin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:57 pm

While the actual threat values aren't, the threat per second is calculated (estimated) by Omen.
Soralin

Postby Arees » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:18 am

Soralin wrote:While the actual threat values aren't, the threat per second is calculated (estimated) by Omen.

I wouldn't say its estimated at all. AFAIK It gets the total threat from the Blizzard API and divides it by the number of seconds you've been in battle.
Arees

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:14 am

WATERBOYsh wrote:
Soralin wrote:While the actual threat values aren't, the threat per second is calculated (estimated) by Omen.

I wouldn't say its estimated at all. AFAIK It gets the total threat from the Blizzard API and divides it by the number of seconds you've been in battle.

Actually it does TPS for a window of X seconds, which you can set in the options, IIRC, which is why it can fluctuate wildly depending on crits etc. Larger windows give smoother TPS reports.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzbob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:46 pm

WATERBOYsh wrote:

if you are still in doubt, taunt a boss and have a look at the tps figure...
fuzzbob

Location: knocking on Illidan's door, begging for my shield and helm

Postby imapler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 am

pic says it all, thanks for being awesome
Last edited by imapler on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
imapler

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations