Remove Advertisements

Maulgar MT - Guidance Wanted

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Are my stats good enough to handle Maulgar?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Your gear looks fine
82%
Your gear needs some more work
18%
WTF are you doing???
No votes

Total votes : 11

Maulgar MT - Guidance Wanted

Postby Everlight » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:06 pm

So, we hit Maulgar for the first time last night. We had a number of false starts, one attempt where I totally failed to avoid five hits out of six and got smeared, then one where I only got three flash heals in ten seconds. We got him on the last go, but I dropped at 50% from not enough healing.

What I'm after is any guidance from anyone who's successfully tanked Maulgar the whole way about how my gearing level is going, and any comments about the fight.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Everlight
Anonymized WWStats (I'm Pisces on this): http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=wfszhbizmz24m

Please note, on the attempt, I had Timewarden's Leggings and an Elementium Band of the Sentry on, and my Girdle had a +8 dodge and +4 def / +6 sta gem in it. I picked up Wrynn Dynasty Greaves AFTER Maulgar, which has given me an extra ~500 armor and ~500 hp after rebalancing everything.

What I'm mostly wanting to know is;

* Do I have enough base hitpoints?
* Is my effective health good enough?
* Are my avoidances fine?
* Did I just get a run of bad luck?
* Should I wear the Shermanar Great-Ring for extra effective health, or chuck back on the Elementium Band for extra dodge?
* Is the average hit I've been taking normal, or am I taking abnormally high amounts of damage?

I don't have a King's Defender yet, with some luck I'll get that tonight and use that on the Maulgar fight. Team 1 has never seen a Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch drop yet.
Everlight

Postby Phaex » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:17 pm

I might made a typo, and i'm too lazy to redo it, but my calc tells me, you are only at 97%.
You have to fix that right away.

Other than that, your gear is fine.
Your dodge is above average, your HP solid. You should equip a real tanking weapon. Mongoose'd Suneater or something like that. You have plenty of time building threat here, so there is no need for spelldamage.

Its more like a sleepy healers thing here i guess. Try to scream at them sometimes, they expect you to do this. If you don't, more than 50% of the healers attention is tuned towards the TV.
Phaex

Postby Lieris » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Your gear is fine, I think your healers need to sort themselves out as you grossly out-gear the Maulgar fight (I've tanked him in much worse gear than you have). If they think they can get away with reactive healing especially when healing is so spread out for much of the fight then Gruul's Lair should be a rude awakening for them. Don't let your guild put any guilt on you (if they are) it's really not your fault if you are dying! Well, unless you are sitting down during the fight and not press holy shield etc.

I agree with Phaex that a Sun Eater with Mongoose is a very nice weapon on this fight.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Everlight » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Phaex wrote:I might made a typo, and i'm too lazy to redo it, but my calc tells me, you are only at 97%.

According to my calc I'm uncrushable with Kings on. 11.88% miss + 22.07% dodge + 16.88% parry + 16.57% block + 35.33% holy shield = 102.73% total.

Thanks for the pointers on the mitigation weapon. I passed on our first King's Defender to one of our Warriors, but I'll definitely grab the next one and chuck Mongoose on it. Will have to hit Heroic Mechanar and try and get a Sun-Eater too/instead :)
Everlight

Postby Tresjynn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 pm

Phaex wrote:I might made a typo, and i'm too lazy to redo it, but my calc tells me, you are only at 97%.
97.4%, before you add in 5.33% from Libram of Repentance, which provides enough to get past the mark.
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby Belarkan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:14 am

Speaking of this fight, what would be the optimal place for a protection paladin.
I would think of tanking the priest for the high initial threat, but I'm not sure.
Saturday I tanked the warlock (summoner) but I feel like I had no added value over a warrior tank.
Belarkan

Postby adese » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:52 am

A tankadin could be useful tanking the priest, warlock or the High King himself.

On the priest, our ability to front load aggro can allow the dps to start on him right away, so that we can take him down sooner and move to the next target. This removes some of the strain on healers earlier in the fight.

On the warlock, our ranged taunt can easily bring him back to us if we get feared and there isn't another tank or fel hound up to get his aggro (granted, RD is bugged until 2.2 if we try to use it after we are CCed, but this will be fixed soon).

Given enough help, we can tank the High King himself as well. While our naturally lower HP than warriors makes it harder to gear up a paladin for tanking him, it is still very possible for a paladin to do so. Our ability to not get any crushing blows from him at all definitely lightens the load our healers would have healing us.
adese

Postby Belarkan » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:06 am

Atm, I think our warrior mt outgear me a lot (got only one drop from Kara :cry: )
We were two tanks on the warlock so it wasn't really hard to tank him.
I'll try to see if I had more added value on the priest.
Belarkan

Postby jere » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:37 am

adese wrote:A tankadin could be useful tanking the priest, warlock or the High King himself.

On the warlock, our ranged taunt can easily bring him back to us if we get feared and there isn't another tank or fel hound up to get his aggro (granted, RD is bugged until 2.2 if we try to use it after we are CCed, but this will be fixed soon).

You actually don't need taunt for the warlock at all. I open up with an AS + JoR + Consecrate combo to get a sufficient lead, then just basically JoR everytime I come out of deathcoil. The moment deathcoil is up, he runs right back to me, even if he all the way across the room (unless of course the fel hound was enslaved and he runs to him instead)

We do have the advantages of being able to do a significant amount of threat from more range than a warrior or bear though, so that is a bonus for us.
jere

Postby Maulininis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:47 pm

Except the warlock is immune to taunt.

Depending on raid makeup I do the warlock, or the priest, or Maulgar. Priest because front end threat means he dies faster, warlock because an exorcism before locks get a chance to banish puppies means no healers die, and Maulgar because a tankadin is more than capable.

Judging by your gear, I reckon you'd handle Maulgar no worries. Best of luck :)
Maulininis

Postby jere » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Maulininis wrote:Except the warlock is immune to taunt.

Depending on raid makeup I do the warlock, or the priest, or Maulgar. Priest because front end threat means he dies faster, warlock because an exorcism before locks get a chance to banish puppies means no healers die, and Maulgar because a tankadin is more than capable.

Judging by your gear, I reckon you'd handle Maulgar no worries. Best of luck :)

The warlock is not immune to taunt.
jere

Postby Belarkan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:23 am

jere wrote:The warlock is not immune to taunt.

The warlock being tauntable or not wasn't much an issue since he rans on me right after the fear ends.
Belarkan

Postby Maulininis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:08 am

I'll have to test that again tonight. Because I'm certain I've seen immunes over him before.
Maulininis

Postby kvark » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm

resists probably. He's not immune to MY taunts at least =)

pallies shine when tanking olm due to our ranged taunt :-) I've been on hkm duty since first time I did him tho, healers love my dodge%
kvark

Postby jere » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Belarkan wrote:
jere wrote:The warlock is not immune to taunt.

The warlock being tauntable or not wasn't much an issue since he rans on me right after the fear ends.

I agree, I was responding to the post of the person whom I quoted as he indicated the warlock was not tauntable. In my original post, I said

jere wrote:You actually don't need taunt for the warlock at all. I open up with an AS + JoR + Consecrate combo to get a sufficient lead, then just basically JoR everytime I come out of deathcoil. The moment deathcoil is up, he runs right back to me, even if he all the way across the room (unless of course the fel hound was enslaved and he runs to him instead)

We do have the advantages of being able to do a significant amount of threat from more range than a warrior or bear though, so that is a bonus for us.

So 100% agree with you. He just runs back.
jere

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations