Any real justification for using Titanium Plating?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Any real justification for using Titanium Plating?

Postby king_fate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:44 am

As a blacksmith I was initially excited about the new sheild enhancement, but after getting my rep up and slapping one on my sheild I am seriously questioning myself. Sure it provides a small amount of additional threat by boosting the damage of SoR, but its a fairly minimal increase:

40 BV * 1.3 Redoubt * 1.1 1H Specialization * 1.3 SoT * 1.9 RF * 1.2 "high threat" * 1.43 "tank modifier" * 1.15 "miss/crit" = 278.801952 Threat / 6 sec CD = 46.466 TPS *

And from a mitigation/effective health standpoint this enchant falls short of both +DEF and the 18 Stamina.

Mitigation from block value has to be calculated based on the encounter, but for ANY heroic raid boss 52 additional block is gonna be embarassingly low.

Lastly, by my math 1 BV is only equal to .11 Stamina on a single hit*:

BV / 1.30 = STA / (1.08 * 1.06 * 10)

1 BV = .11 STA

Making this enchant being worth about the same as 4.4 Stamina * (the average number of hits taken before you are fully healed) from a Effective Health standpoint. As long as you are fully healed before taking more than 4 hits, the +18 stamina enchant will provide more benefit.*

My question is am I forgotting or under-estimating anything? Or (with solid threat) should I be quickly moving back to +DEF or +STA.

* Corrected per comments
Last edited by king_fate on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
king_fate

Postby Isetnefret » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:50 am

52 BV is applied to everything that hits you.

You're probably right on the +def thing, not getting hit at all is better than taking a mitigated hit.

52BV vs. 18 stam? I think that's more of a situational thing.

Wouldn't it also be 54.6 with the Meta? Not that it's a huge difference..
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby daemonym » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 am

i'm using the defense enchant as i'm still hovering between 2% under or over block cap. once i can stay there w/o using levanthor's or a defense to shield enchant i'll get the BV mod put on.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Isetnefret » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

i'm using the defense enchant as i'm still hovering between 2% under or over block cap. once i can stay there w/o using levanthor's or a defense to shield enchant i'll get the BV mod put on.

I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm at 72.2% before holy shield, using Levanthor's and the +BR enchant.

I'd like the BV attachment, but it just doesn't work with my current gear.

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby MrDuck » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 am

Simple enough...
BV on the Skull of Ruin shield for trash or threat set
Defense on Wall of Terror for my maintank set
Stam on Royal Crest for my Malygos25 set (and here goes barricade of Eternity or Hero's Surrender if it ever drops also:P)
MrDuck

Postby king_fate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:04 am

Isetnefret wrote:52 BV is applied to everything that hits you.

You're probably right on the +def thing, not getting hit at all is better than taking a mitigated hit.

52BV vs. 18 stam? I think that's more of a situational thing.

Wouldn't it also be 54.6 with the Meta? Not that it's a huge difference..

IMHO, The +BV meta gem isn't as good as +2% AC for many bosses and will almost certainly be inferior for all raid bosses at the next level.

The only situations where ranking benefit between 52 BV or 18 stamina would change would be

1. Non-Physical Attack where 18 Stamina wins
2. Bosses that attack fast where you have to consider the number of hits between heal.

obviously you want Stamina for the first and for the second situation it would take a boss hitting you several times to make things even

18 Stamina / 4.4 Stamina = 4.09 Attacks.

If your healers expect you to be able to eat 4 attack w/o a heal, you need better healers. ;)
king_fate

Postby king_fate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:06 am

MrDuck wrote:Simple enough...
Stam on Royal Crest for my Malygos25 set (and here goes barricade of Eternity or Hero's Surrender if it ever drops also:P)

Wouldn't it be better to enchant to the natural strength of the shield and do BV on the Wall for Trash/Threat?
king_fate

Postby Jonesy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:07 am

Your TPS calculation forgets crit, miss, and our baked-in "Blessing of Salvation" modifier, 1.43. With 5% miss and 20% crit, it's an extra 278.8 TPS. (Edit: No it's not, it's an extra 278.8 damage per cast. 46.5 TPS)

I don't understand the coefficients in your EH calculation.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy

Postby Isetnefret » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:10 am

Wouldn't it be better to enchant to the natural strength of the shield and do BV on the Wall for Trash/Threat?

Hmmmm, but then again Wall has the highest avoidance/mitigation of them all.

Isetnefret

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 am

king_fate wrote:
MrDuck wrote:Simple enough...

Wall of Terror is better than both Skull of Ruin and Royal Crest for main tanking as well though. If he had Hero's Surrender and Wall of Terror I'd use Hero's Surrender + def for main tanking and Wall of Terror + BV for trash/soloing, but with his current three choices Wall of Terror is the best for maintanking.
Rhiannon

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 am

Rhiannon wrote:Hero's Surrender + def for main tanking and Wall of Terror + BV for trash/soloing

This is what I do.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:Hero's Surrender + def for main tanking and Wall of Terror + BV for trash/soloing
This is what I do.
Heroics get BV too.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby king_fate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:29 am

Jonesy wrote:Your TPS calculation forgets crit, miss, and our baked-in "Blessing of Salvation" modifier, 1.43. With 5% miss and 20% crit, it's an extra 278.8 TPS.

Corrected

40 BV * 1.3 Redoubt * 1.1 1H Specialization * 1.3 SoT * 1.9 RF * 1.2 "high threat" * 1.43 "tank modifier" * 1.15 "miss/crit" = 278.801952 Threat / 6 sec CD = 46.466 TPS

Jonesy wrote:I don't understand the coefficients in your EH calculation.

My fault, I used 1.16 instead of 1.08 * 1.06 and didn't really explain myself well. While It comes down to the same number, it is more fair to state that to compare BV to Stamina for a single hit the ratio is:

BV /( 1.30 redoubt) = Stamina / (1.08 Sacred Duty * 1.06 Combat Expertise * 10)

BV = .11 STA

To compare the contribution to effective health provided by Block Value I'd say its equal to

(BV / 8.97) * Average Number of Hits Taken before you are fully healed
Last edited by king_fate on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
king_fate

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:35 am

I'm getting it on my Skull of Ruin. I only do 10-mans and I like Block Value.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 am

It should be 1.08 * 1.06, shouldn't it? (Used to be 6 + 6, only one was buffed.)
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations