Remove Advertisements

Gruul/Voidreaver Offtanking - HowTo

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Coristad » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:26 pm

Really glad to see this thread (vote for sticky!). I had to OT Gruul last night, and the first 3 attempts were frustrating as heck. I kept using JoW because I felt mana starved (even with popping potions). Unfortunately, I was sitting behind the Bear MT and 3 warrior OTs. 4th try I lobbed JotC and was tying the MT for threat. The downside is that I started to eat the appropriately named "hurtful strikes", which demolished me. The good news is that the problem is me, which I can start fix, versus the class, which I can't.
Coristad

Postby Grendiel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:53 am

Mortehl wrote:I have over 500 spell damage in my threat gear while still maintaining a 16k+ health pool raid buffed and the obvious uncrushability. My Spell damage can reach just under 1k on single targets with the right conditions:

1) I have JoTC down

2) Eye of Mag procs (more often then you might think)

3) I have a wrath of air totem in range.

4) Wizard Oil

Really, I've had a complete rethink about paladin gear and how to approach my role in the raid. Now that I've become less warrior like and more paladin like, Off tanking isn't quite as far fetched as it used to be. Not to say that I don't main tank.. I actually do MT most progression and early farm fights for my guild, but the type of gear and the approach I take is VERY different. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the gear I wear for every fight, for the tough stuff I still wip out my avoidance/stamina set and my buffed HP hovers between 17.8k and 19.9k dependent on a few things.

Threat Gear:

Bracers of Dignity
5/5 T4
Belt of the Guardian
Boots of the Protector
Merciless Gladiator's Gavel
A +spell damage cloak (don't recall the name)
Eye of Magtheridon (I strongly recommend this for paladin tanks)

Eye of Magtheridon certainly sounds interesting, hadn't considered it before. On the other hand, has anyone assembled a Blessings deck? How is it? I've been collecting the cards lately..figured that it shouldn't take too long to build up the stacks for that +80 spelldmg boost, and the +120 AP should help a little too, particularly when I switch to Sun Eater + Seal of Blood..
Grendiel

Postby Leidus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:21 am

So I was the OT on one of our Gruul attempts last night. I did fine threat-wise, above everyone but the MT for the entire fight.

But when we'd get knocked back, our MT warrior would charge back in and grab Gruul, and basically he died from taking a regular hit followed by a hurtful since I wasn't back in range yet.

It was ultimately decided that our feral druid should be the OT because of feral charge, and on our second attempt with that setup, and me lol dpsing, we won.

Any advice on how to cope with this? Or is this just one of our limitations?
Leidus - 80 Human Paladin // Sudiel - 80 Human Death Knight

<Fluffy Dragon> <Epic Coalition> - Cenarion Circle
Leidus

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations