Nate's Diminishing Returns Spreadsheet (Updated)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby thenNATEgoes » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:36 pm

Updated per the suggestion - totem, Horn of winter often over rights Shaman totems.

If my values are inaccurate for those buffs please let me know, I used wowhead.com as my source then just did the math for the improved versions.. and i'm not sure how blizzard rounds the improved versions...
thenNATEgoes

Postby Seraphyna » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 am

Awesome spreadsheet, and kicking myself I didn't find this last night. It would have cleared up my headache over deciding which I wanted more, the Valor boots or bracers.

Very glad I decided to research before I posted what I thought was a bug, but instead proved to be an up-too-late-at-night brain-fart. Of course Horn of Winter gives agi as well as str *crawls away sheepishly*.
Seraphyna

Re: Nate's Diminishing Returns Spreadsheet (Updated)

Postby Saladin » Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 am

Amazing spreadsheet mang!

I was looking around for one to compare items with and this one popped up along with another. I was wondering if you could take a look at it and tell me why at the same rating values - for def dodge parry and agi - his sheet has a higher dodge % after diminishing returns than yours does. all buffs are off etc. I'm not yet familiar enough with all the behind the scenes calculations and was hoping one of you would be.

the other dudes sheet is at http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4000 ... nce-4.html

thanks in advance!
Saladin

Postby thenNATEgoes » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Saladin wrote:Amazing spreadsheet mang!

I was looking around for one to compare items with and this one popped up along with another. I was wondering if you could take a look at it and tell me why at the same rating values - for def dodge parry and agi - his sheet has a higher dodge % after diminishing returns than yours does. all buffs are off etc. I'm not yet familiar enough with all the behind the scenes calculations and was hoping one of you would be.

the other dudes sheet is at http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4000 ... nce-4.html

thanks in advance!

Appreciate your input, I will look over at the spreadsheet. I've been away from the game for sometime I will recheck my spreadsheet to take into account new talents to update the Effective Health formula.

Thanks.
thenNATEgoes

Postby lythac » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:25 am

Majiben, Thu Mar 12 wrote:Turns out that defense and expertise skill are not truncated and the ingame tool tips are wrong.

^

I nearly cried when playing around with your spreadsheet earlier and 8 def rating was giving more avoidance than 8 dodge rating due to this. Then I realised what was happening.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby jere » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Is there a source on that? I have seen work on Expertise showing it, but not defense.
jere

Postby majiben » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 pm

There isn't on defense I may be wrong and was premature to say it. On defense the in game tooltip seems to believe it is truncated but we can't necessarily trust it and testing is quite a bit harder with the difference being less than a tenth of the the size of the expertise gradient and having the nasty DR to worry about. So no don't take as gospel, especially when no one is doing the large volume of testing needed.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby lythac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:58 am

Oh ok. Think I have a way of testing it and some time free on the weekend to try it out.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby abinning » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:18 am

I'll have to check this one out. Looks very useful.
abinning

Postby thenNATEgoes » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:37 am

Anyone have anymore useful criticism, or faulty numbers?

Last I checked it was still all good.

Thanks
thenNATEgoes

Postby Perrigrin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:46 pm

How can I figure out the Block Value quickly on armory or armory light?
Perrigrin

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations