Remove Advertisements

Mitigation vs. Avoidance

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby kurros » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm about 99% sure thrash gives 2 extra attacks in addition to the regular swing.

I wanted to revise the test I did, but I'm running into a few issues. It seems like the healing model is somewhat flawed, but I can't figure out a way to fix it. It seems like 3 healers is "too much" healing but 2 is too little.

As far as increased armor, I thought I was pretty clear- I'm not considering increased armor as an option because it really isn't an option.

Save a few rings and capes, what epic tank gear can you get that trades other stats for armor? There are no +armor gems.

So ultimately I don't see comparing armor to avoidance as a very useful thing to do, unless you are doing it on a very small and specific scale of comparing the stats of certain rings or capes.
kurros

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Yes, comparing armor to avoidance is kinda silly since there isn't much that we can do to increase our armor outside of just plain upgrading our gear, which tends to include more avoidance anyway. The more important comparison to make is HP vs avoidance.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Lore wrote:Yes, comparing armor to avoidance is kinda silly since there isn't much that we can do to increase our armor outside of just plain upgrading our gear, which tends to include more avoidance anyway. The more important comparison to make is HP vs avoidance.

Though at the same time, it's important to have some rules of thumb for comparing those stats for the gear decisions that you *do* have to make. Even from rings/back/shield (say crest of the Sha'tar vs. Azure Shield) you can swing about 700 armor depending on your gear selection. It's limited, but still worth knowing what the trade offs are.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Aergis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:25 pm

I wanted to revise the test I did, but I'm running into a few issues. It seems like the healing model is somewhat flawed, but I can't figure out a way to fix it. It seems like 3 healers is "too much" healing but 2 is too little.

3 healers being too much seems odd. In a given raid of 10 people, 1 tank with 3 healers leaves 6 for DPS. That doesn't seem like a gross amount of too much.

And also as we've seen, 250 block val = 1000 armor. Increasing block value effectively does the same as increasing armor, so it does warrent some looking into. And as a side effect, increasing HP benefits your amor / block val in the same way as increasing armor benefits effective HP.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Aergis wrote:And also as we've seen, 250 block val = 1000 armor. Increasing block value effectively does the same as increasing armor, so it does warrent some looking into. And as a side effect, increasing HP benefits your amor / block val in the same way as increasing armor benefits effective HP.

Important thing to make note of: a direct "rule of thumb" block value to armor comparison is going to be sketchy at best, as block value's... value... depends on the attack speed and hit strength of the mob you're tanking.

250 block value against an attack that hits every 5 minutes for 100k doesn't mean a thing, 250 block value against an attack that hits 200 times a second for 200 makes you a god.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aergis » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm

True. But 750 block value on the tank sims maulgar preset ( which is quite large and slow attacks ) was equalling about 3000 armor. As the damage increases and attacks get slower that does go down, but not by a large magnitude in percentage. At least, not large enough to discredit it. I don't think.... I'll do some checking :D

And on faster / smaller damage attacks, it only gets better ( 250 block val equalling 2000 armor ).
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby kurros » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:47 am

With my going holy due to lack of healers, it doesn't look like I'll have anything useful as far as tanking combat logs for awhile.
kurros

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations