Remove Advertisements

UPDATE: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

UPDATE: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Postby honorshammer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:46 pm

10-7-2009: I wrote the original article almost a year ago, and it was in sore need of an update. I've now edited this post to bring it up to date.

Uncrittable Cap

The first and most important cap you want to reach in your gear is being uncrittable, which comes from Defense. At level 80 you need 540 Defense which equals out to about 689 Defense Rating. To quote Neo, "Whoah". It's a metric ton of defense needed. It is something you will need to actively work towards in your gear, but it is completely attainable with crafted items and rep rewards.

Petrus of Gorgonnash has put together a tidy list of gear that will get you to the Crit cap without relying on a single dungeon drop. You can see his list here: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=17158. Well done, sir!

Block Cap

After you are Uncrittable, you should start working towards the The Block Cap. This may be a new concept for Paladin tanks, but it really isn't. The Block Cap is what used to be known as Uncrushable, i.e. a combined Miss, Parry, Dodge, and Block of 102.4%. Once you reach that point, any additional Block Rating falls off the table. You are 'capped' on the amount of Block you can have. It should be noted that since Holy Shield was changed to have its duration be longer than it's cooldown, it is now safe to assume 100% uptime on Holy Shield when calculating your Block Cap. Holy Shield is 30% chance to block.

Being at the Block Cap is very helpful because it means that every unavoided attack from the Boss will be a Block. Paladins are the only class now that can stay Block Capped 100% of the time. Each Block takes off damage equal to your Block Value. If the Boss hits for 40,000 and you have 2000 Block Value (not unreasonable), you effectively shave off 5% of the damage each and every hit. That can add up to a huge amount of damage reduction over the course of the fight.

It also provides Paladins with a predictable damage intake, and makes life easier for your healers.

The Block Cap is especially effective for tanking adds on Anub’arak.

So you can't be Crit, and every incoming attack is a Block at the worse case, what's next?

Hit Cap

Paladins are much like Warriors and we want Hit on our tanking gear. Math has shown that Hit is either the 2nd or 3rd best stat to increase threat depending on how much Strength you have.

Hit is what is checked to see if your Taunt resists. While your melee swings need 8% hit to connect, taunts are checked against spell hit, and require 17%. There is basically no reasonable set of gear that will get you to 17%, sorry.

The Glyph of Righteous Defense should help to eliminate most HoR and RD resists, and I suggest you take it. Paladins do have two taunts, Hand of Reckoning and Righteous Defense. The chance that both miss is small, however, it can still happen.

You need 8% to hit to be Hit capped. That translates to 263 Hit rating at level 80. If you can wrangle one of our Draenai friends into your group, you will need only 7% hit, or 230 rating.

You can't miss, but the boss can still Dodge and Parry you.

Enter Expertise.

Expertise Cap

Expertise is what stops the Boss from Dodging and Parrying. At 0 expertise, the boss has a 6.5% chance of dodging you, and a 14% chance to parry you.

Each point of expertise reduces the chance the boss will dodge you by 0.25% as well as the chance he'll parry you by 0.25%. Each point of expertise after 26 is half as effective as it was below 26, because the boss already has a 0% chance to dodge. Thus, expertise gets weaker above the dodge soft cap. It's entirely useless above the parry cap of 56, but this is rarely achieved in practice anyway.

Expertise affect Hammer of the Righteous and is in fact the only way to get rid of the occasional ‘Deflect’ message, which most theorycrafters seem to think is a parry of a ranged attack.

Expertise has also shown to be an excellent stat for reducing damage. Credit goes to Math genius Theck on Maintankadin. You can read the proof in this thread http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic.

theck wrote:The avoidance value of expertise varies a lot, with multiple factors (swing speed, boss swing speed, avoidance, etc). I'm not sure whether I'd feel comfortable giving values quite as specific as you have. It might be fairer to say that it's about 40-70% as effective as dodge rating, and 2-3x more effective at reducing spikes, provided the boss has parry-haste enabled.

Expertise is 69% the threat of STR below the dodge cap, 34% above the dodge cap but below the parry cap (half of it's value below dodge cap), and 0% above the parry cap.

You can get 6 expertise from talents and 10 from the Glyph of Seal of Vengeance (skill not rating mind you). 26 Expertise is considered the Dodge cap. At 26 Expertise, the Boss can no longer Dodge your attacks. You need 56 Expertise to hit the Parry cap where the Boss can no longer Parry you.

Humans and Dwarves can get another 3 to 5 points depending on the weapon they are using. Humans get 3 Expertise with Maces and Swords. Dwarves get 5 Expertise with Maces.
Last edited by honorshammer on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
honorshammer

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 pm

I vote sticky sticky for this.
Shoju

Postby majiben » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 pm

As long as we are talking about the mechanics of the combat table I figure this will be a good spot to repost how avoidance works against mobs that are higher or lower than you.

Assuming a naked, untalented paladin/warrior you would see the following results in true avoidance. Your character sheet says you have 5% block, parry, dodge and the mob have a 5% base chance to miss against equal level defenders.
Code: Select all
Attacker Level  Parry  Dodge  Block  Chance to be missed
     +3          4.4%   4.4%   4.4%       4.4%
     +2          4.6%   4.6%   4.6%       4.6%
     +1          4.8%   4.8%   4.8%       4.8%
      0          5%     5%     5%         5%
     -1          5.2%   5.2%   5.2%       5.2%
     -2          5.4%   5.4%   5.4%       5.4%
     -3          5.6%   5.6%   5.6%       5.6%
Last edited by majiben on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Honorshammer wrote:If the Boss hits for 9000, and you have 900 Block Value (not unreasonable), you effectively shave off 10% of the damage each and every hit. That can add up to a huge amount of damage reduction over the course of the fight.

But what if the boss hits for OVER 9000?!! You asked for it...

Anyway, as far as I know, HotR can not miss, but what you didn't include is that Judgement can miss as well. This is, next to Righteous Defense, is probably the biggest reason that you would want to get hit capped. Judgement miss, means no Judgement of the Just and we wouldn't want that.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Spectrum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Nice post. I keep forgetting what all the new caps are in terms of ratings.

I still don't have an intuitive grasp of what numbers to expect, so 700 defense rating looks like an insane amount until I remember that it's not hard to get items with 60+ defense rating.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby SmurfZG » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 pm

I hit uncrit after one day at 80 (starting out with t6 quality gear in wotlk) without resocketing any old gear but with using the ssc def trinket. I didn't have to use any crafted gear, but I bought the stuff from wyrmrest revered (cloak, boots, chest). One day later I was back to using commendation. I suppose non-t6 players might have to regem or get some more wotlk dungeon blues, but I didn't think that it was hard at all to reach uncrit.
SmurfZG

Re: Your CAPtains: Crit, Block Hit and Expertise

Postby Aleph » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:as far as I know, HotR can not miss,

I keep reading this, but have yet to find an actual theorycraft post with data to back it up. If this is true, does it also mean that once we get expertise capped HotR will always hit?
Aleph

Postby PsiVen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Worth noting that even if you DO use the Libram of Repentance, it won't be worth 5% block anymore because it's based on block rating.

Also typo: should be 102.4% not 102.5%
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:47 am

The Libram of Repentance is somewhere close to 2% block at 80. Not impressive but still worth using if you are at that damn 1% away from the cap.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 am

Apparently ShoR cannot be parried or dodged, leaving HotR and white damage as our only abilities that benefit from expertise. I think it would be reasonable to say, especially as many heroic piece choices are between hit and expertise, that hit would be the preferred stat for us, as it also affected judgements/Exorcism/AS/taunt.
Janduin

Postby ulushnar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:40 am

What about the hit cap for us loveable alabaster tanking gods and our +1% hit aura?
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby vschiano2008 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:51 am

Question- What's required to get rid of that nasty 'deflect'- HotR cant miss but it can be deflected.

think that might get covered by the expertise?
vschiano2008

Postby Mortehl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:35 am

Check wording on expertise cap. DODGES are stopped at that level of expertise, but you can still be parried.

Also, awesome summary post.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 am

Janduin wrote:Apparently ShoR cannot be parried or dodged, leaving HotR and white damage as our only abilities that benefit from expertise.

And seals.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Janduin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:52 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Janduin wrote:Apparently ShoR cannot be parried or dodged, leaving HotR and white damage as our only abilities that benefit from expertise.

And seals.

True, though I'd argue this is irrelevant if you are using vengeance. Even with no +hit your stack is going to go up fast and stay there. And if you aren't using vengeance for some special reason, you are losing 10 expertise anyway from the glyph.
Janduin

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations