Max threat for different situations.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Max threat for different situations.

Postby Holyfield » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:18 am

I ended up MT'ing kara this evening, and found myself scratching my head as to why my TPS was lacking. I tend to use max rank spells on everything I tank, single mobs as well. I always try to have concecrate up, holy shield up, 5 ticks of vengeance with crusader up (which I have to sacrifice at times if caster dps are running really short, so i put up wisdom/vengeance). I'm having difficulty keeping up the threat! Granted, I'm not having dps pull things off me, we got through kara fine (tanked the prince, and also tanked night bane, and the skellie adds), but I found myself with NO mana at one point during nightbane coming into phase 2 which really scared me. I'm spamming my max rank spells, and still barely scooting by at the top of threat. How in the world are you other tankadins able to get ridiculous threat leads as you point out, and keep it up without burning out your mana? Next week, I'm going back to SoR/JoR spamming, as SoV is starting to irritate me. Drops even with the gavel of unearthed secrets. Here's my armory:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... =Holyfield

Maybe I'm in need of some gear tweaking? Is my dps just being freaking crazy? I'm irritated that I'm as squishy as I am already with a smaller HP pool. If I can't generate more threat, I'm finding it difficult to justify being a tankadin. I like to think I'm pretty decked out, particularly for Kara, maybe even start King Maulgar attempts. Thoughts?

Yes I had wizard oils on the whole time. Yes, I know I'm not the ideal tankadin spec atm, I'm working for that merciless gavel, then swapping to prot/ret, picking up 1 hand specialization, imp judge, and imp crusader most likely. Is my spec hurting me THAT much?
Holyfield

Postby kvark » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:58 am

make sure you have righteous fury active =) The only times I struggle to keep agro, is when RF is down.

However, I belive your main problem is you weapon. I really has to be a 1.6 sec one to keep a steady agro. Get the thrallmar rep one or CB.

Personally, I prefer the thrallmar rep sword. I've never lost agro with that up. Heck, on last gruul I told the dps'ers to challenge my agro and go mental. Still had it for the duration of the fight.
kvark

Postby adese » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:24 am

Using the gear in your Armory, you really shouldn't be losing aggro, IMO. Did you put Salv on all the DPS? They may not like it, but it's amazing just how much it helps. Last night I was the only Pally on, and the second Kara group had to call it, since their tanks couldn't keep up with the DPS since they didn't have Salvation. :(
adese

Postby Holyfield » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:42 am

I am keeping RF up, I'm putting salv on dps too.. I'm also alliance, so no thrallmar rep for me XD. I'm shooting for that gavel, so a faster weapon with much more spell damage will be in my hands soonish. I'm thinking one of my problems is that i get parried/missed a lot.

I'll keep tweaking.
Holyfield

Postby jere » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:38 pm

I am curious, what is your average TPS when you tank (according to either omen or ktm)? Mind you, I am not asking about spikes of threat, but the numbers you hover around the majority of the time.

I tanked all of karazan with 250 spell dmg (until I upgraded recently to the gavel) and the only people I had trouble holding threat over were Moonkin, Shadow Priests, and casters with 1000+ spell dmg.

Also, if you could post a WWS report of one of your kara runs for us, that might help us figure out what is going on?

As far as mana goes, it depends. On trash, I AS pull everything (or exorcism if I am running low on mana), JoR my target and let the others CC the remainder. For bosses, I simply AS->JoR->SoR->Consecrate to start any boss fight. After that pop AW and either keep SoR or swap to SoV (which ever you prefer). I have around 5-6k mana with buffs, so I still have mana left after the initial cycle. If it looks like I won't be taking much damage, I toss on a JoW around the 3rd judgement I do, and just do SoR/JoR/HS until I feel I have decent mana, then I toss a consecrate in as I am able. Always remember to keep a stack of mana pots just incase. Sometimes you can get mana starved, especially as your gear gets better.

Honestly, I would consider swapping reckoning to 1H weapon spec if you are having threat problems. It is a much steadier source of threat than Reckoning, which while good, is spiky at best.
jere

Postby adese » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Holyfield wrote:I am keeping RF up, I'm putting salv on dps too.. I'm also alliance, so no thrallmar rep for me XD. I'm shooting for that gavel, so a faster weapon with much more spell damage will be in my hands soonish. I'm thinking one of my problems is that i get parried/missed a lot.

I'll keep tweaking.

You can get the same rewards with Honor Hold rep. Thrallmar is the horde version.
adese

Postby Holyfield » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:03 pm

I'd say I keep around 5-600 tps when SoV is going well, then it fluctuates and drops heavily if I don't get my procs going. I used to use SoR only, but as I've found that if I can just keep that darn thing up, the threat is much better. I'm also anxious to see how SoV will change in 2.2 and how much more dependable it is.

I'll be respecing in a couple weeks to pick up that 1 hand specialization as soon as i get my darn gavel from arena work. I'm hoping a lot of my issues will get smoothed out by then.
Holyfield

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations