Remove Advertisements

The effects of block on effective health

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby corc » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:16 pm

jere wrote:However, in my equation, it only addresses the situation where you get no heals and don't dodge, parry, or are missed. When you factor those in, then you might see the auto blocker being better for mobs that hit harder than that. And of course, if you already have enough HP's anyway, the auto blocker is the better choice.

This idea was what made me fool around with excel and a notebook last night :)

I plugged in your stats, hope you don't mind :). With a 4% increase in health (from trinket) you get about 4% increase in effective life span. The BV increases by 23% and gives a ~2% increase in effective life span. If you weren't getting healed, I don't think this would matter, but with the HPS idea you have, I'd bet the sta trinket would still win because a HPS would basically stretch out the non-healed timer.

I dunno if I'm wrong yet or not, but it seems to me since paladin's don't get "threat" from BV, when we tank hard hitting bosses we can go for low BV to get more survivability where as warriors need that BV for threat.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Jere, by calculator I mean something only requires me to enter numbers :). Give us lazy folks a spreadsheet! I trust your formulas, I just don't want to solve them :)
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:27 pm

corc wrote:I dunno if I'm wrong yet or not, but it seems to me since paladin's don't get "threat" from BV, when we tank hard hitting bosses we can go for low BV to get more survivability where as warriors need that BV for threat.

That's a jar of flies, it's the effective health vs avoidance debate. I tend to favor effective health (stam/armor/bv) over avoidance. In the end I may take more damage, in the hopes that I'm easier to heal.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby jere » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Jere, by calculator I mean something only requires me to enter numbers :). Give us lazy folks a spreadsheet! I trust your formulas, I just don't want to solve them :)

I have a spreadsheet that I use at home, but honestly, I haven't nitpicked it to death to make sure there aren't any typos/bugs. I can email it to you if you like.
jere

Postby corc » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
corc wrote:I dunno if I'm wrong yet or not, but it seems to me since paladin's don't get "threat" from BV, when we tank hard hitting bosses we can go for low BV to get more survivability where as warriors need that BV for threat.

That's a jar of flies, it's the effective health vs avoidance debate. I tend to favor effective health (stam/armor/bv) over avoidance. In the end I may take more damage, in the hopes that I'm easier to heal.

Totally agree, I was just talking survivability there, and Stamina has the best bang-for-your-buck. I just don't think that BV is included in the priority list as much as it use to be for me.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations