WTB math on t4 bonus

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

WTB math on t4 bonus

Postby ari » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:11 pm

i did a bit of a search and couldnt come up with anything relevant; has anyone done the math on the relative threat/spell dmg bonus the 2pc set bonus gives?

im really only good at comparing threat as it relates to spell dmg; would the 2pc set bonus equate to roughly an equivalent 10% spell dmg increase? or more? less?

math isnt my strong suit; cant quite get my head around how id figure this out with SoR % of total threat vs spell dmg increase etc etc
ari

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:15 pm

10% more damage means 10% more threat, that's all the math there is to it.
Lore
Global Mod

Re: WTB math on t4 bonus

Postby Prepared » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:18 pm

ari wrote:i did a bit of a search and couldnt come up with anything relevant; has anyone done the math on the relative threat/spell dmg bonus the 2pc set bonus gives?

im really only good at comparing threat as it relates to spell dmg; would the 2pc set bonus equate to roughly an equivalent 10% spell dmg increase? or more? less?

math isnt my strong suit; cant quite get my head around how id figure this out with SoR % of total threat vs spell dmg increase etc etc

Basically, you just take the amount of damage you were doing with SoR or JoR before, and calculate threat based on that.

Then, take 110% of that number, and calculate threat based off that.

Congrats! You have your final threat numbers.

Same applies to the Holy Shield bonus, and all talents/set bonuses for it. The rule of thumb is this: increases are additive (+50% and +20% is +70%), reductions are multiplicative (-50% and -20% is -40% total)

It's a little complicated, because you actually have to look at it as the threat you are generating, either way to figure it.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Threat#Stacked_Threat_Auras

There's the WoWwiki article about stacking threat auras, where reducing it, increasing it, or both. I hope that helps!
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby ari » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:12 pm

thanks; some good stuff in that link ill get a look at it tonight.

it was my understanding that threat = 1.9 x holy dmg; so at a simple level 10% increased damage would be 19% threat; or am i missing something.... like i say math isnt my strong suit

eg if my regular SoR hits for 140 and the bonus puts it up to 154; then im receiving 26.6 extra threat for the 14 dmg increase per hit??

considering SoR spell dmg coefficient is.. what, 30% (?) then id be ok thinking the 10% dmg bonus on a SoR hit of 140 is the equivalent of around 45 spell dmg? if the coefficient is lower then the bonus is worth even more equivalent spell dmg...

it seems to me the 2pc set bonus is a huge threat boost; and its very very hard to gain the equivalent spell dmg/threat bonus with other gear... that a fair statement?

does the 2pc bonus affect judgement?
ari

Postby Prepared » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:53 am

ari wrote:does the 2pc bonus affect judgement?

Sadly, I think it's just the Seal. :\

Prepared

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 am

ari wrote:it was my understanding that threat = 1.9 x holy dmg; so at a simple level 10% increased damage would be 19% threat; or am i missing something.... like i say math isnt my strong suit

Nope. This is a pretty common math error. For the purposes of comparing threat with the bonus to damage without the bonus, you'd be correct, but that's not the comparison you're making - you're comparing threat before the bonus to threat after the bonus.

Say you're doing 100 damage per swing. Multiply that by 1.9, you're doing 190 threat. Now say you increase the damage by 10% for 110 damage. 110 x 1.9 threat modifier = 209 threat. For comparison's sake, increase the pre-bonus threat amount by 10%. 10% of 190 is 19... 190 + 19 = 209.

So every percentage bonus to Holy damage dealt is a direct increase to threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Prepared » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 am

You know, this makes me wonder why there isn't a TPS spreadsheet yet... or if there is, and I'm just missing it.

I should work on that when I get home. The math's all here somewhere, I just have to make it look pretty.

Prepared

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 am

I found one on Elitist Jerks the other day, lemme see if I can dig it up...

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t14063-pala ... readsheet/
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Prepared » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 am

Lore wrote:I found one on Elitist Jerks the other day, lemme see if I can dig it up...

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t14063-pala ... readsheet/

D'oh! Nice find, though. I really need to root around those forums more.

Prepared

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations