Weapons and threat

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Weapons and threat

Postby Nemi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 am

SO.. I came here all excited to post about the fact that my Sun Eater dropped yesterday finally. I tested it out in KZ last night and my TPS blew with SoB... So switched back to old trusty Crystalforged and no problems as usual.

Then I saw the new sticky in here and as I was reading through it I started plugging in numbers in excell yay bored at work. The numbers I came up with were alot different than I was expecting. According to them The LC mace is better TPS (I assumed no misses in my theorycraft) than about everything out there. Mostly due to the huge increase that SoR gives to slower weapons.

My question is... I'm close to S2 arena (started late) Mace but why? If LC Exalted is better and much easier to attain (forget my rep might be attainable now heh)

p.s. Very awesome post for math on pally threat.

p.p.s. link to next page at top and bottom plx!
Nemi

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 am

Somewhat confused. Of course the lower city mace is better for threat than Sun Eater, it has spell damage on it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Nemi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 am

Lore wrote:Somewhat confused. Of course the lower city mace is better for threat than Sun Eater, it has spell damage on it.

Ok maybe I didnt complete my thought process. (boss walked in) According to the numbers i'm getting via excell the LC Exalted mace is better than season 2 mace. This is solely because of the fact that SoR gives it much better damage to slower weapons.

*edit* gramma
Last edited by Nemi on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemi

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 am

I'd double check your numbers, it sounds like you're getting threat per swing instead of threat per second. SoR damage scales based on weapon speed solely to make sure that you get the same DPS out of it no matter what.
Lore
Global Mod

Re: Weapons and threat

Postby adese » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:31 am

Nemi wrote:Then I saw the new sticky in here and as I was reading through it I started plugging in numbers in excell yay bored at work. The numbers I came up with were alot different than I was expecting. According to them The LC mace is better TPS (I assumed no misses in my theorycraft) than about everything out there. Mostly due to the huge increase that SoR gives to slower weapons.

I think the "assumed no misses" bit might be getting in the way as well. This is why tanks generally prefer fast weapons over slow ones - with a fast weapon, if you miss it isn't a big deal since you'll be hitting the mob in less than 2 seconds anyway. Using a slow weapon (such as the LC mace), a mis is much more costly due to the 2.7sec speed.

Lore wrote:I'd double check your numbers, it sounds like you're getting threat per swing instead of threat per second. SoR damage scales based on weapon speed solely to make sure that you get the same DPS out of it no matter what.

And I'll second what Lore said - the very reason that SoR damage scales is to ensure that its DPS is roughly the same, regardless of the weapon used.
adese

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Yeah you actually get more mileage out of the usually faster spell damage weapons. I use the Hammer for soloing usually, but the DPS is about the same, I mostly use the hammer cause I bought it and I hate to not use it, even if it isn't truly needed.

Another thing you will notice is that unlike Seal of Blood, Seal of Righteousness just scales so damn well. More spell damage means more threat, instead of more Strength/Attack Power which you need considerably more to get the kinds of increases a new spell damage weapon will net you with SoR.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nemi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:40 pm

ok gone over these a couple times going by the example, I *believe* I'm correct in my loleycraft.

Seal of Righteousness

Gavel: .85*(22+(2*27-30)+2.7*.092*191)=.85 * (22+24+47)=79 = 150 TPH / 2.7 = 56

S2 Arena: .85*(22+(2*16-30)+1.6*.092*265)=.85*(22+2+39)=54 = 102 TPH / 1.6 = 64

Is this correct? Or is it per hit still?
*ninja edit* fixed my poor maf skilz and I'm an idiot. :P
Last edited by Nemi on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nemi

Postby Candiru » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 pm

yeah you need to divide them both by your weapon speeds.
Candiru

Postby Daedallus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:41 pm

even if the LC mace give more threat for SoR, SoR is only about 25% of my overall threat. The S2 mace would provide more threat to consecration, holy shield, avengers shield, ect ect. and that is just based off total + spell dmg.
Daedallus

Postby Nemi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:45 pm

Yes, however since I didnt / by the weapon speed the LC mace was coming out ahead by a good margin even when you added the rest of the skills in. yay poor theorycrafting on my part.
Nemi

Postby Girard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Lore wrote:I'd double check your numbers, it sounds like you're getting threat per swing instead of threat per second. SoR damage scales based on weapon speed solely to make sure that you get the same DPS out of it no matter what.

... >.> *goes to update threat calculator* =)
Girard

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations