Remove Advertisements

Resilience and Defense

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Resilience and Defense

Postby Linus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:39 pm

I don't stack resilience obviously but the best shield choice for me at the moment is the season 1 shield (I bought it before season 2 came out because Valorous wasn't cutting it) and it has a measure of resilience on it, so here's my question, can I have less defense and remain uncrittable with it? If so, how much? Does anyone have numbers for this?

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"
Linus

Re: Resilience and Defense

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:41 pm

Linus wrote:I don't stack resilience obviously but the best shield choice for me at the moment is the season 1 shield (I bought it before season 2 came out because Valorous wasn't cutting it) and it has a measure of resilience on it, so here's my question, can I have less defense and remain uncrittable with it? If so, how much? Does anyone have numbers for this?

Yes it is possible, but I don't have the hard numbers offhand, I believe many druids do this as well, use a combo of defense and resilience to become uncrittable
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Jarkeld » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:05 pm

1 defense rating =0.42 defense=0.0168% chance less to be crit
1 resilience rating = 0.0254% chance less to be crit
versus a level 73 mob, you need 5.6% chance less to be crit in order to remove crits from the table.
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Postby corc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:20 pm

basically yes.

when I'm desperate I use the little res on my mace so I can use the auto blocker instead of a +def trinket.

also, remember that even though you are critable if you are 102.4% avoidance with HS up it doesn't matter. You won't get crit just like you wont get crushed :)
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:37 pm

When I used to have helm of the stalwart defender, I'd let my raid def drop to around 480 or 485 if I needed to go after some other stat, and let the resilience cover my arse.

I don't think it's sustainable as a gearing strategy long term, tho', because you can rely on your extra def to also give uncrushability.
Nich

Postby Linus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Okay well can someone check my math and make sure I'm uncrittable, my armory is Whicker from Gorgonnash (US). I think I figured it out but definitely don't want to make a bungle here for Prince tonight. Thanks for all the help :D Can I go any lower on defense? If I can I can remove some of the +4 Def +6 Stam gems for solid stars.

-Whicker

Linus

Postby adese » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:17 am

Linus wrote:Okay well can someone check my math and make sure I'm uncrittable, my armory is Whicker from Gorgonnash (US). I think I figured it out but definitely don't want to make a bungle here for Prince tonight. Thanks for all the help :D Can I go any lower on defense? If I can I can remove some of the +4 Def +6 Stam gems for solid stars.

-Whicker

I'm not sure how much resilience you lose per mob level, but it looks to me like your are uncrittable.

However, assuming that I added it up correctly, you are still crushable, barely - I got 102.36%. For Prince, you really want to be uncrushable since he can pump out a ton of damage during phase 2. While you are only 0.04% shy, if you can get over 102.4% for the fight (even if it means using an agility food/elixir over a stamina one), you definitely should. Being uncrushable makes that fight much, much easier.
adese

Postby Linus » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:19 am

adese wrote:I'm not sure how much resilience you lose per mob level, but it looks to me like your are uncrittable.

However, assuming that I added it up correctly, you are still crushable, barely - I got 102.36%. For Prince, you really want to be uncrushable since he can pump out a ton of damage during phase 2. While you are only 0.04% shy, if you can get over 102.4% for the fight (even if it means using an agility food/elixir over a stamina one), you definitely should. Being uncrushable makes that fight much, much easier.

Thanks, as for uncrushable I assure you I am, I hit my macro before every raid to make sure, were you counting in Kings agi? I might have logged off without king on, can't remember. Also remember that Libram of Repentance isn't 5% it is 5.31% (or so if I remember correctly). Anywho, I'll check again tonight.

We downed prince last night with no problems, checked the logs and no crits, I'm sure I'm uncrittable just wanted to be extra sure with the resilience and all. I've downed prince a bunch of times but never without the comfortability of seeing the 490 number on my char sheet, this time there was a weird wrench thrown in! XD

Thanks guys.

Linus

Postby adese » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 am

Linus wrote:
adese wrote:I'm not sure how much resilience you lose per mob level, but it looks to me like your are uncrittable.

Thanks, as for uncrushable I assure you I am, I hit my macro before every raid to make sure, were you counting in Kings agi? I might have logged off without king on, can't remember. Also remember that Libram of Repentance isn't 5% it is 5.31% (or so if I remember correctly). Anywho, I'll check again tonight.

I just added up whatever your stats were on the Armory - I don't recall if you had any buffs up or not. When I counted, the Libram, I counted it as 5.33% (I use the addon RatingBuster in game, and that is what it says it gives). It's possible that I added incorrectly...wouldn't be the first time. ;)
adese

Postby Linus » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:19 pm

adese wrote:
Linus wrote:

I just added up whatever your stats were on the Armory - I don't recall if you had any buffs up or not. When I counted, the Libram, I counted it as 5.33% (I use the addon RatingBuster in game, and that is what it says it gives). It's possible that I added incorrectly...wouldn't be the first time. ;)

When I logged on I realized it was kings you were missing, I was at your exact number without kings :D I always have kings up unless I'm AOE grinding BT Terraces or something so I use it to come up with my uncrushable number. With kings on I'm 102.7

Linus

Postby ari » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:08 am

Jarkeld wrote:1 defense rating =0.42 defense=0.0168% chance less to be crit
versus a level 73 mob, you need 5.6% chance less to be crit in order to remove crits from the table.

ok, pls help me if i have this right or not; im not the greatest mathematician :)

an item with 31 resilience (31*.0254) is -.7874 % to crit.

-.7874 % to crit (.7874/.0168) = 46.8 defense....

so if im at 490 defense and add 31 resilience to my gear does that means i only need 443 defense to remain uncrittable??

ari

Postby Spart » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:24 am

ari wrote:

ok, pls help me if i have this right or not; im not the greatest mathematician :)

so if im at 490 defense and add 31 resilience to my gear does that means i only need 443 defense to remain uncrittable??

Well... the only problem is that people haven't done the math on this. So it could (very likely) is that if the enemy is higher level, then you require more to get the same effect as on an equal level enemy.
Spart

Postby adese » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:39 am

ari wrote:

There is a small error here - it's 1 defense rating that reduces your chance to be crit by 0.0168%, not 1 defense. Therefore, 31 resilience rating = 46.8 defense rating.
adese

Postby ari » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:25 pm

ah ok, i thought it seemed a bit high; so 31 resilience would equal around 20 defense. (46.8*.42 = 19.6 def)

still pretty good!

sadly still one more week till i get the arena shield, so got plenty of time to see how i can fit it into my gear :)
ari

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations