Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby kvark » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:16 am

no block - no parry, really opens you for crushing blows. Tried with casting while tanking before, didn't kill me, but I saw where my future was heading =)
kvark

Postby Vanifae » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57 am

kvark wrote:no block - no parry, really opens you for crushing blows. Tried with casting while tanking before, didn't kill me, but I saw where my future was heading =)

Once you break about 300 spell damage your judgments will hit for more then Avenger's shield, unless the spell crits.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lightskin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:32 am

I do it. I need threat and mana. Heal me.
Lightskin

Postby Tonirae » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Thanks for the help guys ^.^
"wtf, why do you have two paladins?!" - almost everyone I meet
Tonirae

Postby Brighid » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:20 am

It's sad that so many people won't allow this to penetrate their thickness :(

Your first and primary job as a tank is to mitigate damage. Staying top threat is merely a side effect of this. If you're not kiting, or the mob is in melee range ie; you're being hit, throwing an avengers shield is not a good idea. If you're not going to take your job seriously, please step aside for a warrior, druid, or another paladin that will.

If you're so concerned about threat (what the hell are you tanking with?) consider that a holy shield tick is the most threat you'll ever see out of damage, and you're basically saying "no mister 9k crushing blow, please do come in. Holy shield has the day off"

It's called crushing shield for a reason.
Brighid

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:53 am

Quite so.
Apart from the fact that it actually lowers your TPS in the long run especially if you're well geared.
Apart from the fact that it's terrible mana efficiency for threat.
If you're still determined to use AS whilst tanking (AKA; risking not doing your job).

You should never AS whilst tanking unless;

Attumen is charging someone else.
Moroes is running back to you and you can make the cast before he gets there.
(GL on Maiden lol)
Juliet is casting/the silly troll I forgot the name of is casting.
Nightbane is going airborne, or landing.
Curator is evocating.
(GL on Illhoof lol)
Aran is casting (and you're not in melee, but that would mean you're not tanking aran, not that aran is particularly tankable, we just make a rogue do it, so you're either healing or SDDPSing <- could be tanking, but then you wouldn't be able to use AS very easily cuz of the counterspell).
Netherspite is in his banish phase/not focused on you(Red Beam)/not firing at you (NetherBreath).
(GL on Prince lol)
Maulgar unless he's running/whirlwinding away from you (and his various adds whilst they're doing other things like death coiling someone else cuz they already death coiled you, or the other guy you're likely to tank cuz he hits for so much dmg i never even need healing if I end up tanking him -.-)
Gruul if you're off tanking or ground slammed away from him.
Magtheridon if he's casting blast nova.
Voidreaver if he's not focused on you.
Hydross when he's swapping to your element/when the adds spawn and you need to OT.
Lurker when he's casting Spout.
(GL on Morogrim lol)
Leo when he's whirlwinding.

Can't really say much for the rest of the content though I could guess.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby enbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:26 am

On bosses I only do it if I can time it during a cast or between swings (risky :P), on trash I do it all the time out of nessecity cause dumbasses dot up the sheeps etc :>
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby corc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:00 am

kinda funny what I do.

I out gear a lot of the kara stuff so if I'm running low on mana and the priests and playing poker or something with random rolls, I'll let em know I'm gunna toss my shield--I get spam healed while I time my shield so I DO get hit :P

granted, I totally agree that this idea is not a good one for anything other than a few kara bosses and heroics/5mans.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby enbee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:05 pm

corc wrote:kinda funny what I do.

I out gear a lot of the kara stuff so if I'm running low on mana and the priests and playing poker or something with random rolls, I'll let em know I'm gunna toss my shield--I get spam healed while I time my shield so I DO get hit :P

granted, I totally agree that this idea is not a good one for anything other than a few kara bosses and heroics/5mans.

I've actually started sitting down if I need mana in khara/heroics (with a word of warning to healers ofc)
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:06 pm

Buttertoast wrote:it helps to push conc aura before you cast :P

AS is a heal, now?
Nich

Postby enbee » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:53 am

Nich wrote:

AS is a heal, now?

I suggest you read the description on conc aura.
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Buttertoast » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:49 am

enbee wrote:
Nich wrote:

AS is a heal, now?

I suggest you read the description on conc aura.
eh, it's a minor point. for a while i just figured that conc aura was heal-only like focus, too.
Buttertoast

Re: Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Postby Girard » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:54 am

Everlight wrote:
Tonirae wrote:I've heard from at least one paladin who uses Avenger's Sheild to keep their threat high on a mob they are tanking.

Against a raid boss, it's a good way to die, unless the mob does something that prevents him being able to hit you while you're casting it.

Myself, I use AS against Attumen when he does his Charge, against Curator when he's Evocating, and against Big Bad Wolf when he's chasing someone. I also chuck it at Tinhead when I'm kiting him.

AS vs Curator is godly.
Evocate.. pop wings, judge, consecrate, AS, a few swings.. judge again... Oh, wait, that warlock who's CoD popped is still behind me on threat by 40k damage. =p
Girard

Postby Dynaeus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:19 pm

I've tried using an AV both during a boss fight and during trash in Kara. Every time I've done it, I get "Whhoooaa, Dyna, what did you do!" as the healers react to the crushing I just received. So, I only chuck it when the boss is moving away from me, or he himself is casting (polarity change on the third boss in heroic mech comes to mind). If you're that nervous about your threat generation, lay down a few consecrates in a row. Also, boss fights usually go beyond 3min, so just repop your wings XD.

Though, that's not what this thread is about. I've been doing some research and every post/blog/resource site I've found simply states that one cannot block while casting. None will cite blizzard or show evidence of testing. Also, is cleanse considered a cast (Shadow word: Pain comes to mind on the Prince encounter)? What about exorcism?

-Dyna

Viva la Prot Pally!
Dynaeus

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Dynaeus wrote:I've tried using an AV both during a boss fight and during trash in Kara. Every time I've done it, I get "Whhoooaa, Dyna, what did you do!" as the healers react to the crushing I just received. So, I only chuck it when the boss is moving away from me, or he himself is casting (polarity change on the third boss in heroic mech comes to mind). If you're that nervous about your threat generation, lay down a few consecrates in a row. Also, boss fights usually go beyond 3min, so just repop your wings XD.

Though, that's not what this thread is about. I've been doing some research and every post/blog/resource site I've found simply states that one cannot block while casting. None will cite blizzard or show evidence of testing. Also, is cleanse considered a cast (Shadow word: Pain comes to mind on the Prince encounter)? What about exorcism?

-Dyna

Viva la Prot Pally!

You can defend yourself during instant casting, but not spells with a casting time.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations