Remove Advertisements

Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Postby Tonirae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:44 pm

I've heard from at least one paladin who uses Avenger's Sheild to keep their threat high on a mob they are tanking.

I also thought that you can't block while casting, so I don't use it after the initial pull unless I don't have aggro and need to get it back or am breaking CC or something.

Can anyone confirm or deny the ability to block while casting and maybe point me in a direction toward some forum that talks about this?

Thanks!
"wtf, why do you have two paladins?!" - almost everyone I meet
Tonirae

Re: Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Postby Everlight » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Tonirae wrote:I've heard from at least one paladin who uses Avenger's Sheild to keep their threat high on a mob they are tanking.

Against a raid boss, it's a good way to die, unless the mob does something that prevents him being able to hit you while you're casting it.

Myself, I use AS against Attumen when he does his Charge, against Curator when he's Evocating, and against Big Bad Wolf when he's chasing someone. I also chuck it at Tinhead when I'm kiting him.
Everlight

Re: Avenger's Sheild while Tanking?

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:37 pm

Everlight wrote:
Tonirae wrote:I've heard from at least one paladin who uses Avenger's Sheild to keep their threat high on a mob they are tanking.

Against a raid boss, it's a good way to die, unless the mob does something that prevents him being able to hit you while you're casting it.

Myself, I use AS against Attumen when he does his Charge, against Curator when he's Evocating, and against Big Bad Wolf when he's chasing someone. I also chuck it at Tinhead when I'm kiting him.

Yeah using it when the boss is hitting you is dumb, when they are far away it is a stroke of genius.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Buttertoast » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:40 pm

what's the big deal? as long as you're not starting the cast when you're at 30% or something, one crush won't kill you.
it helps to push conc aura before you cast :P
Buttertoast

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Buttertoast wrote:what's the big deal? as long as you're not starting the cast when you're at 30% or something, one crush won't kill you.
it helps to push conc aura before you cast :P

you get more threat from meleeing and consecrate then you will from an AS during the fight.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Phaex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:44 pm

You can easily AS between most bosses autoswings.
Its not dumb or something, its part of any good threat rotation.
Last edited by Phaex on Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phaex

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Phaex wrote:You can easily AS between most bosses autoswings without getting castknockback or crushings or whatever. Just try it.

Good luck with that.

AS on Prince pilz, Phase 2.
Vanifae

Postby Phaex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 pm

You missed one word: most.
Phaex

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Phaex wrote:You missed one word: most.

Its a bad strategy, even on most.
Vanifae

Postby Phaex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Please explain, just claiming things is kinda useless.
What is bad about free extra threat then ?
Phaex

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:52 pm

Phaex wrote:Please explain, just claiming things is kinda useless.
What is bad about free extra threat then ?

you are losing threat from not attacking with your seal, you can miss, the damage to mana ratio is horrible...

Sure it is nice to drop some aggro when the boss is away or not attacking but pretty poor to straight Holy Shield, SoR, Consecrate threat.

It is just common sense.
Vanifae

Postby Phaex » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Last time i checked, mana was not a problem at all, when tanking stuff you do not outgear by alot. Depending on weapon, you lose one to zero autoswings while casting. But hey.
I don't have to prove anything here. You are right and i'm gone. Ciao.
Phaex

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Phaex wrote:Last time i checked, mana was not a problem at all, when tanking stuff you do not outgear by alot. Depending on weapon, you lose one to zero autoswings while casting. But hey.
I don't have to prove anything here. You are right and i'm gone. Ciao.

I am not an expert it just does not seem like a viable long term strategy.
Vanifae

Postby Linus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Av Shield is usually a bad idea when the mob is hitting you, for one if they catch you mid cast not only can they crush you etc, but they will also knock you back in your cast meaning that two swings with SoR (or whatever your seal is that you use) plus holy shield not hitting will mean you actually lose threat. And it is probably comparable if you don't get knocked back in cast.

The mana cost of that thing is just too large for one, for another it is also an extra GCD you are using to get threat you get easily elsewhere and for less mana.

I'm no expert but I've tried it and my TPS numbers on most mobs go down when I use it mid battle...and so does my mana numberzez :P

-Whiskers

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"
Linus

Postby Myotis » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Vanifae wrote:you are losing threat from not attacking with your seal, you can miss, the damage to mana ratio is horrible...

It has a 30 second cooldown. You will probably delay your next judgment/consecration/holy shield by trying to throw your shield at the right time in between bosses attacks.
Myotis

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations