Hit rating in 3.0

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Hit rating in 3.0

Postby Epimer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:24 pm

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven't seen any discussion of it.

How important is the new unified hit rating going to be as a threat stat after 3.0? My understanding of the situation on live is that melee hit is useful only in reducing RD resists, and hence not worth stacking (taunt-sensitive fights excepted), and that spell hit is a poor threat stat in part because Consecration is a large component of our threat and only the first tick of that can miss/be resisted, and our other abilities do not greatly benefit from it.

However, with Consecration becoming a smaller component of our threat output in most tanking situations and the move being made towards threat generation via special attacks which can miss (I have made the bold assumption that this is true of HotR, ShotR, HoW and AS - happy to be told otherwise), it would seem to me that hit rating actually now has its place as a worthwhile threat stat.*

Is this thinking correct? Have the numbers been done anywhere?

*Well behind Str, SP and BV, of course
Epimer

Postby majiben » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Here's the break down:
2.X
spell hit
Judgenments
SoV applications
Not consecration the resist seen at the beginning of the spell sometimes is a relic that does not actually affect your threat.
exorcism

Melee hit
Melee
Seal of rightousness due to melee attacks proccing it
SoV applications do to it needing melee attacks to proc it too
taunt
Hammer of wrath
3.X
Unified Hit
Melee
HotR
ShoR
judgements
avengers shield
exorcism
taunt
Hammer of wrath

So the conclusion is that Hit is better now than in wrath and we will benifit from it but we will likely not stack it. Expertise is likely a little better than hit for increasing threat and even reducing the average incoming dps.

Edited per worldie's new info
Last edited by majiben on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Hammer of Wrath in 2.x is on melee hit/crit just fyi :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby econ21 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm

PsiVen's 3.0 weapons spreadsheet seems to imply hit is a solid threat stat, comparable to most others (only exceeded by strength and dps):

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... &start=414

But those findings are provisional.
econ21

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations