Remove Advertisements

Ret pally's affect on Prot pally threat

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Lore » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:15 pm

kurros wrote:
Lore wrote:Because you could put him in a DPS group :P

Ret paladin could give the dps group 2% more damage.

Or, you coulds put him in the tank group, and all of your warlocks fury warriors and enhance shamans who previously had to hold back could do up to 15% more damage without pulling agro.

If your raid dps can't hit the threat ceiling, I guess it wouldn't help much, but I'd have to question what kind of gear and spec they use for PVE if they aren't threat limited.

There are many encounters in endgame raids where the threat ceiling is incredibly high due to various reasons. Many encounters have adds of some sort that are DPS'ed down, some encounters aggro is locked no matter what, and some encounters threat just doesn't matter.

Definitely agreed that a few encounters would benefit, though.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 pm

At the end of the day, 4% damage buff from hunter = 8% threat increase. (I think. I can't figure out if 4% extra holy damage is 4% extra threat, or 8 >.<) And hunters are thrown into any old group anyway, and also bring utility (MD) and a lot better DPS than a ret pally.

At the end of the day, I have no issues with threat on most fights, because I'm an OT to warriors who clearly outgear me, and thus are MTs ;)

I'd like to think a ret pally has a definite advantage on prot pally threat (assuming you can juggle a decent tank group that desn't hamper the rest of the raid), but I'd also like to think that a ret pally can get a place in the raid when a prot pally isn't the MT.

FTR, our enhance shaman isn't really threat capped anymore.

To reiterate what I originally said...

Yes, a ret pally in our tank group will give a greater threat lead - which will mean a greater threat lead, or, we can swap gear around. That's great.

But don't try to say it's good for the ret pally because they can go all out. Who cares if they go all out, it's just wasting their mana, and, more importantly, means they're actually doing less damage - it's a threat ceiling, and their threat is going to depend on their damage.

If you're not desperate for a threat lead, then a ret pally in a tank group is kinda crap.

Note how I said it's good, but put a disclaimer on it, and some of the reasoning? ;)
Nich

Postby Kvaern » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Nich wrote:At the end of the day, 4% damage buff from hunter = 8% threat increase. (I think. I can't figure out if 4% extra holy damage is 4% extra threat, or 8 >.<)

4% damage increase = 4% threat increase.

100 holy damage = 190 threat.
104 holy damage = 197,6 threat.
Kvaern

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations