Ret pally's affect on Prot pally threat

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Ret pally's affect on Prot pally threat

Postby pyrotechniq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:44 am

I love em in my party..=p my agro goes thru the roof.

EDITED for those who thought i was talking about ret pally's and not the benefit of having a ret pally with me a PROT pally in my grp

Just commenting on how much a ret pally scales a PROT pally's agro..its pretty amazing and useful on fights like VR

so next time I'll say "Ret Pally's, Just how much do they increase our TPS?" Sry didn't think my original post would be construed as a post about ret palladins but how they affect PROT pally tanking agro.
Last edited by pyrotechniq on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pyrotechniq

Re: Ret pally's

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

pyrotechniq wrote:I love em in my party..=p my agro goes thru the roof.

umm okay thanks
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby pyrotechniq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:52 am

Vanifae wrote:
pyrotechniq wrote:I love em in my party..=p my agro goes thru the roof.

umm okay thanks

your welcome
pyrotechniq

Postby corc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 am

yeah, I convinced a druid buddy to make a ret pali (he just doesn't want to be forced to heal, cause he's been down that road before :P).

been fun finding instances I can single pull. My favorite so far is running around SM cath and after passing the door my buddy opens it and i just run down and aggo the last dude--therefore saving me time by pulling the whole place :)
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Nymeros » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:12 pm

I have a Warrior guildie that's leveling a Retribution Paladin for a new main (by some fluke, we started tank deprived and ended up with too many tanks).

As long as I'm around, he's not going to get pressured to go Holy. Give me my +12% agro you bastard! >:O

And +3% raid crit. And +2% damage done by their group. And all judgments on the boss. And an extra Paladin buff. >:)

Then again, after talking to another Paladin, who's probably the best geared Horde Ret on the server when he specs it...

5k White + Seal of Blood damage
5k White + Seal of Blood damage
You agro Gruul
Gruul bitchslaps you
You watch the rest of the fight from the floor.
befriend (v.): To use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Nymeros

Postby Sloath » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Please .. this isn't the WoW boards.. keep your drivel there or to yourself. This belongs in General at the very least... not in ADVANCED TRAINING

Sorry folks.. I love this place for the fact its not cluttered with crap.. lets try to keep it that way..
Sloath

Postby Daromire » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:51 pm

close minded?
Daromire
Maintankadonor

Postby Prepared » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:06 pm

Sloath wrote:Please .. this isn't the WoW boards.. keep your drivel there or to yourself. This belongs in General at the very least... not in ADVANCED TRAINING

Sorry folks.. I love this place for the fact its not cluttered with crap.. lets try to keep it that way..

Agreed. This isn't really a discussion or theorycraft into Retribution Paladins at all. I'm quite disappointed.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Hence my first post.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby pyrotechniq » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Just commenting on how much a ret pally scales a PROT pally's agro..its pretty amazing and useful on fights like VR

so next time I'll say "Ret Pally's, Just how much do they increase our TPS?" Sry didn't think my original post would be construed as a post about ret palladins but how they affect PROT pally tanking agro.

Imp SoTC so you can have it as well as wisdom, 10% more holy dmg translates into about 20% more threat.
pyrotechniq

Postby Candiru » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:15 pm

no, 10% more holy damage is just under 10% more threat.

Still good though :)
Candiru

Postby corc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm

to the people dismissing this topic as not a tanking one...

I've come to think of the Advanced Training area for raiding ideas.

In a raid you think about who you are grouped with.

Having a ret paladin in your group for added threat is a viable idea/topic to discuss then, imo.

I would love to see the discussion on ret/prot grouping. A large problem for ret is aggro, create too much of it I hear. If they add 12% more holy damage to the target and we get a huge bonus to threat from holy damage (almost a 2x modifier) then it seems to be a GREAT idea. The ret pali needs more room to dps, we need a way to produce more threat. Both solved. Not only is he goign all out in taking down the boss but he's letting us raise the threat bar too--this benefits him as well as the rest of the raid (omg those mages love to max out).

there are plenty of topics on optimum group make up. A ret paladin provides a lot to the pali tank group. Also, if the retdude wants to go into prot tree for that extra +hit he could be getting the imp devo aura as well.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Buttertoast » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:58 pm

imp devo weakens the primary sanc aura synergy of ret+prot which is why the ret is in the tank group in the first place :P
the talent placement is ideal, it just seems kind of awkward to force that aura choice when the ret is going to choose sanc 99% of the time.
Buttertoast

Postby corc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Buttertoast wrote:imp devo weakens the primary sanc aura synergy of ret+prot which is why the ret is in the tank group in the first place :P
the talent placement is ideal, it just seems kind of awkward to force that aura choice when the ret is going to choose sanc 99% of the time.

hence being an afterthought. sometimes you want to survive instead of nuke. maybe on a demon or undead target where we can unload more threat through exorsism the extra armour might help, i dunno, whatever raid leader want to do. But, that's the point isn't it? this is an extra option for raid leader to think about.

people dismissing ret-dps/group-inclusion are just like the people who dismiss the paladin as a tank--it's not a mainstream idea and what we are use to talking about so don't bring it up.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Nich » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:36 pm

A ret pally in any group will give most of the functionality they're going to give to a raid.

It'll also not only increase their group's damage output (by 2% lol), but it will also allow them to do their maximum raid damage potential, assuming they don't toe the line too far and die when the boss turns.

Yes, a ret pally in our tank group will give a greater threat lead - which will mean a greater threat lead, or, we can swap gear around. That's great.

But don't try to say it's good for the ret pally because they can go all out. Who cares if they go all out, it's just wasting their mana, and, more importantly, means they're actually doing less damage - it's a threat ceiling, and their threat is going to depend on their damage.

If you're not desperate for a threat lead, then a ret pally in a tank group is kinda crap.
Nich

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations