Thinking of AD as an EH bonus (math)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Thinking of AD as an EH bonus (math)

Postby Nadir » Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 pm

I would think AD is quite useful on a fight like Thorim (specifically his hard mode). His attack speed is fairly high and increases as the fight goes on. Unbalancing strike tends to hit for ~30k. AD would trigger at 15.4k for a tank at 44k raid buffed hp. AD may be the reason you survive an unbalancing strike + non crit melee hit combo, which seems to happen fairly often...
Nadir

Postby Parium » Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 am

Khayne wrote:I'd say other problems in modelling AD would be that we aren't tanking in a vacuum, soloing ulduar.

There will be Sacred Shields, PW:S's, HoT's and "non-topping off HL's", which means that even if boss keeps on swinging for a 40k tank for 21k health, that tank will at some point end up in 13 900 health or something.

And then all those scalings on different absorption effects kick in, and you survive that attack that should have wiped floor with you since you were so low on health.

Or on other chance that random renew heals you up to 14 100 health and boss swipes the floor with you.

I just consider that there's way too many things factoring in AD to get anywhere near some constant EH increase.

Easiest thing to show it would be other people that will give you damage reduction cooldowns on top of AD for real shield wall effect?

i.e. Ret giving HoS in AD=-51% damage taken, makes a 20k hit survivable even if you start off at 11k health because you had AD.
Hell, if that was unexpected you might have allready hit divine prot too, now you survive 20k hits with 5k health start, without BV or absorbs.

What order do absorbs come in play though? i'd hope and presume after damage reduction cd's.

This is where I'm sitting with my opinions of AD atm. There are entirely too many different factors that come into play to get a good grip on how to calculate it's usefulness. It is far easier to analyse after a wipe whether or not the ability is helping you. And over time after analysing the data, making a descion on whether it is useful enough for you to keep in your build is probably best. But even so it's almost like flipping a coin and it landing on heads or tails. It's chance. This week AD may never factor into your survival, but next week it could be the saving grace of half your pulls. It's just something you cannot calculate prior to your death, or survival with this talent. If you were to give it up though, what would you replace it with? In my build there is nothing that mitigates damage to replace it with. And I'll go for more threat when a warrior can out TPS me. Until then, I think I'd rather have the chance that it may save my life.
Parium

Postby Chasten » Thu May 07, 2009 10:39 am

Parium wrote:If you were to give it up though, what would you replace it with? In my build there is nothing that mitigates damage to replace it with. And I'll go for more threat when a warrior can out TPS me. Until then, I think I'd rather have the chance that it may save my life.

To move down the tree, the only threat talent even available to take would be lolreckoning. That won't be in my build anytime soon...
Chasten

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations