PTR patch 2.2: Seal of Vengeance

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:52 pm

jere wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:
Have you tried that type of switching against a level 73 boss? I'm thinking with the miss, resist, and proc rate you'll lose the stack pretty often.

In general, the chance that the stack will fall off on average is actually pretty low. However in practice, you can get bad strings. I have had plenty of Prince fights under my belt where I watch SoV and it honestly on falls off around 1-3 times on any given fight (5-10 mins depending on the group) and in the event that it does fall off, I don't ever lose aggro because my threat ceiling is so high. Some people have worse luck than others, and it is based on luck. However, the chance that the stack will fall off really isn't that bad.

I use SoV a lot and love it. I find it does more dmg and threat than SoR for me, but I guess I am very lucky. Still it is a "chance" so SoR is the safer bet if one is worried about the possibility that the stack will fall.

He's talking about swapping seals though, and having around 5 seconds to keep it refreshed. I use the arena mace and I'm quite certain that I'd lose the stack more than 50% of the time. In fact I just tested it on basilisks right outside shatt and was losing the stack most of the time. I've got 2-3 swings with only like a 55% chance to proc, if they hit. Against a level 73 mob where the resist rate is 17%, the miss rate is much higher, and I'm still looking at the same proc rate. There's really no chance.

Based on the math you posted in the other thread, I should only be losing the stack with that weapon on about 3% of the cycles. Honestly, I'd be happy with that, but my experience paints a vastly different picture. I've tried using SoV a good bit, and my results are not jiving with 3%. The last time I tried using it on the Prince I had to abandon it before I even got a 5 stack up because it was taking way too long, and I had lost the stack twice at that point. I don't currently have precision but I do have weapon expertise, and I'm a dwarf so I don't get any racial bonus.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Everlight » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:37 am

I rejigged my spec to have both 5/5 Weapon Expertise and 3/3 Precision, so I'll see how SoV stacking goes on Curator this coming week.
Everlight

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Everlight wrote:I rejigged my spec to have both 5/5 Weapon Expertise and 3/3 Precision, so I'll see how SoV stacking goes on Curator this coming week.

Yeah, let us know how that goes.
I've been thinking about doing the samething.
Dragonzbane

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations