Chaining behavior of Avenger's Shield

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Chaining behavior of Avenger's Shield

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:58 am

Four mobs in a square:

A B
C D

You throw the shield at C. What happens?

Model 1 - WoW starts at C and locates the two mobs with the lowest distances to C; those are the targets. The shield strikes C, then A and D.

Model 2 - WoW starts at C, locates the nearest mob (it's a tie, A or D, so it chooses one randomly) and then from there it figures out the nearest mob again for the second jump. The shield strikes C, then (A or D), then B.

Anyone know which it is?
Arcand

Postby Bluemania » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:14 am

Consider this,

A B C

Throw a shield at B. We see it hits C or A and flips back to the other.

I would assume throwing it in your example, C would fine A and D to be closer to B purely through distance
Bluemania

Postby Kathryn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:45 am

I find that if i have

A B
C D

P

P being pally, throwing shield at C will hit A and B as well..

But if:

A B
C D

______P

And i throw shield at D i hit B and A in that order.
Kathryn

Postby Lore » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:09 am

The jumps are determined at each hop I believe, I've seen this situation come up a few times:

Code: Select all
A         B         C

A and C are far enough away from each other that they would not chain if B was not there. If you hit B, it hops to A or C and stops. If you hit A or C, it chains through all three.

So, in answer to Arcand's question, I believe it's model 2.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Armand » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Actually it's:
              R
A B
C D

P

Where A/B/C/D are mobs, P is our Maintankadin, R is a rat/toad/critter, it will hit the first mob you throw your shield at then go directly to R, where is proceeds to crit (and ofcourse stop).
I have seen this too many times for it to be simply a coincidence. Captain America must have a thang against critters.. :shock:

Bottomline: beware of critters messing yer pull ;)
Armand / 70 Paladin / EU Silvermoon
Armand

Postby Daeren » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:12 pm

It's so true...
Daeren

Postby Lore » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Armand wrote:Actually it's:
              R
A B
C D

P

Where A/B/C/D are mobs, P is our Maintankadin, R is a rat/toad/critter, it will hit the first mob you throw your shield at then go directly to R, where is proceeds to crit (and ofcourse stop).
I have seen this too many times for it to be simply a coincidence. Captain America must have a thang against critters.. :shock:

Bottomline: beware of critters messing yer pull ;)

Quoted for epic truth.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

Lore wrote:
A         B         C

A and C are far enough away from each other that they would not chain if B was not there. If you hit B, it hops to A or C and stops. If you hit A or C, it chains through all three.

This is a good point.

Somebody on the WoW forum was claiming that he can always pull with AS after a rogue saps and never hit the sapped mob. I assume he's full of crap but thought I'd check it out.
Arcand

Postby Lore » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 am

Arcand wrote:
Lore wrote:
A         B         C

This is a good point.

Somebody on the WoW forum was claiming that he can always pull with AS after a rogue saps and never hit the sapped mob. I assume he's full of crap but thought I'd check it out.

That was me :P

Sometimes I suck and hit the sapped mob anyway, but I remember the pulls so I have them sap something else next time.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Glyhelm » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:40 am

Lore wrote:
Arcand wrote:
Lore wrote:
A         B         C

This is a good point.

That was me :P

Sometimes I suck and hit the sapped mob anyway, but I remember the pulls so I have them sap something else next time.

Here's a great little trick for helping with sap. If there are, say three mobs in a row, and a critter near one end, throw the shield at the critter. Then a sap can be safely applied to the mob at the other end.

True, it only works if there's a critter handy, but its a surprisingly useful trick at times.

Even though it doesn't seem very holy. But if you're a no-good-rotten blood elf I guess it's fine. :-P
Glyhelm

Postby Kathryn » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:51 am

Glyhelm wrote:Even though it doesn't seem very holy. But if you're a no-good-rotten blood elf I guess it's fine. :-P

The noble rat willingly gave away his life to protect my teamates.
Kathryn

Postby Lore » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:04 am

We've already proven that no matter what, the rat is going to die anyway.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Gehrond » Tue May 22, 2007 6:29 pm

R
A B                   E F
C D                  G H

P

Where A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H are mobs, P is our Maintankadin, R is a rat/toad/critter.

I think you know where this is going... :P

I haven't seen this happen in a BC instance, but I saw it several times in lvl 60 instances before BC when we first got shield throw.
Gehrond

Postby Caerdwynn » Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 am

This is all pretty interesting.

I've been watching just about every AS throw I've made, trying to discern if there was some pattern.

Contrary to a couple comments above, I've noticed no pattern whatsoever with the hops that the shield takes.

We run Mech and Slave Pens (heroic) every night regularly. Usually about the same group of players.. and I've noticed it being a different chain every time through.

Imho, it's completely random. I will, however, continue to look for consistency somewhere.

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

Postby Gehrond » Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 am

I'm pretty sure it takes the shortest hop first.

I have noticed on certain pulls I can dictate where it goes, every time. Just watch the pull, where it goes, and now you can safely sap before AS next time you go in there.
Gehrond

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations