Remove Advertisements

Threat Trinket Comparrison

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Threat Trinket Comparrison

Postby Lother » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Anyone know which Trinket is better for Threat generation?

Ashtongue Talisman of Zeal - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32489
VS
Timbal's Focusing Crystal - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34470

Here's my armory if u want to look at my current +spelldamage, etc if its at all relevant: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Loather since Im unsure if the procs on each trinket have +damage coefficients that may be important to note
Lother

Postby agnara » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:01 pm

The talisman of zeal is better for threat, it gives ~60 tps if you judge every 8th second. The focusing crystal gives about 25 tps (if we assume 0.5 tps from 1 spelldmg), and the procc is not something you can rely on. None of them get a coefficent from spelldmg.

We had a thread on this recently, but I don't bother looking it up.
agnara

Location: Somewhere, thinking about something, most likely off-topic.

Postby SmurfZG » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:34 pm

The above poster is correct, but it should be said that talisman of zeal only affects judgement, and therefore is only good for singletarget threat.
SmurfZG

Postby Sarkan-ZdC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 am

For single target Ashtongue Talisman of Zeal is supposed the best thing. I have timbal and I'm rather using the one from Al'ar on multi-mob. It usually procs within the first few secs on AoE Stuff and +290 SD is massiv threat.
Sarkan-ZdC

Postby Thark » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 pm

I wore it in BT a few times when I first got it to test it out.

I found that the proc rate was around 50%, but that it didn't do the TPS I'd expect. It seems that the proc has the normal hit/resist rate, making it worse than it seems.

I wasn't happy with it for threat, so I went and got the Crusade deck. This I also am not happy with. It seems that only the initiate tick of Consecrate and Judgement refresh the 10 second duration. On too many boss fights there's times where it falls off. On single target trash it takes too long to stack high. So far it seems nice only for AOE packs like Hyjal, or fights where you really just stand there the entire time and never have to break your cycle. Even a resist can make your buff fall off if you're tanking a single target.

I have 4 threat trinkets now that I use in different situations, but none of them really seems to shine in all.

I also wore the BT trinket this week, but it's a single target threat trinket.
Supremus 7252/304 - 46.23TPS (13/26 proc rate)
Gorefiend1 3722/187 - 38.57TPS (7/17 proc rate)
Gorefiend2 4896/288 - 32.95TPS (10/27 proc rate)

Also, I learned that it looks like the trinket can proc, but that the proc can miss. That's dumb. On the Gorefiend kill 3/13 procs missed. The fact that a miss means the DOT is not applied really hurts this trinket. It's still a decent threat trinket, but the fact that it's single target only and lower threat on that single target than an AE type threat trinket really makes it inferior.
Thark

Postby agnara » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Ye, I kinda forgot to add the resist chances, I bet it's also going to get reduced by partial resists too. The numbers should be closer to this:

Base dmg from the dot*Procc chance on the dot*One handed speccialization*Chance of a full resist*Threat multiplier*Reduction due to partial resists
CD on judgement

Lvl 70 mob:
480*0.5*1.05*0.96*1.9*1 = 57.456

Lvl 71 mob:
480*0.5*1.05*0.95*1.9*0.98 = 55.72035

Lvl 72 mob:
480*0.5*1.05*0.94*1.9*0.96 = 54.00864

Lvl 73 mob:
480*0.5*1.05*0.83*1.9*0.94 = 46.69497

I was surprised with the low numbers this time, it was way lower than how good i thought the trinket would be. The numbers is going to be a little highter/lower than depending on spell hit and latency.

Note that every threat trinket we got is affected by (partial)resists, so how they compare to eachother is not going to change.
agnara

Location: Somewhere, thinking about something, most likely off-topic.

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Thark wrote:I wasn't happy with it for threat, so I went and got the Crusade deck. This I also am not happy with. It seems that only the initiate tick of Consecrate and Judgement refresh the 10 second duration. On too many boss fights there's times where it falls off. On single target trash it takes too long to stack high. So far it seems nice only for AOE packs like Hyjal, or fights where you really just stand there the entire time and never have to break your cycle. Even a resist can make your buff fall off if you're tanking a single target.

Refreshing a judgement by meleeing will stack the crusade card buff, and fairly quickly at that. But yes, I tend not to use it on single-target trash.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Thark » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:43 pm

You're right ... I'm not sure how I missed that.

That eliminates it falling off from a resist, which is nice and also helps stack the buff higher quicker.
Thark

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Well, if you're not keeping a judgement up (hint) you won't be happy with your threat ;)
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Thark » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I jumped to a conclusion without enough time using the trinket.

I used it in early BT last week when I first got it. On Naj'entus I believe it fell off every time he bubbled - we were waaaay too slow breaking his shield. On Supremus it would fall of during the kite phase when I had to avoid a fire or something. On Akama I tank a side and we don't DPS the sides anymore, so I didn't wear any threat trinkets. On Gorefiend for whatever reason the warrior tanked - but that would be (I believe) an ideal fight for it. I tank Phase1 ROS, so I don't wear threat trinkets. Bloodboil was a pretty good fight for it. After the trash to Mother Shahraz I didn't wear it again.

There was another thread on Threat Trinkets I read somewhere here a few months back which was pretty good. Nowadays I generally use Icon of the Silver Cresent and Figurine - Crimson Serpent, and I guess I'm looking at replacing the Figurine with the Crusade card, and one day soon the Icon with the Hex Shrunken Head.

I know the original post mentioned Timbals Focusing Crystal. I had and used it for a while. The Spelldamage portion of it is nice, but the proc does little for you. I believe it's a 10% chance to proc on a 15s internal cooldown. Added to that is the fact that it's shadow damage, and the proc does very little to create additional threat. I think the Icon beats it pretty easily. However since you ask to compare the Talisman and the Crystal, I'd probably suggest the Talisman for single target threat.
Thark

Postby Dapperdann » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:43 pm

What do you think about this one http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35749
Dapperdann

Postby Tisiphone » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 am

I find http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35700 great. The stamina rocks and the proc in combination with AW just makes you go BOOOM.
Like they say, bind all buttons to FoL and just roll your head over the keyboard.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Tisiphone
Tisiphone

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations