Higher Threat Needed

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Higher Threat Needed

Postby Requital » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:23 am

I've noticed since switching guilds that my threat is more lacking now then it previously was or is being capped much much faster. Now generally I wouldn't worry about it as I really only tank ZA runs and sometimes alt Hyjal runs but last night on a ZA run I found myself avoiding way to much damage going dry on mana and causing a mess.

I guess it's time to work on another set of gear more based on Mitigation instead of Avoidance. But during these times anyone with any tips on boosting my threat without drinking Destro Pots I would greatly appreciate it. I could really use some advice on max threat rotation.

My current gear I was just flipping pieces around trying to find the best mitigation build and just got sick of sitting around last night and logged off so I'm in some interesting gear currently. Any and all suggestions welcome just need to push the threat up to 1K regularly in ZA and sometimes that place drains my mana and causes issues. Even sitting down and taking more damage isn't always the answer.

Gear I have available to build a good mitigation set is everything outside of Sunwell except KT Quest Neck and Illidan Helm. I have all other pieces including badge drops.
Requital

Postby inthedrops » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 am

Based on what little I know of your runs, I think you've got the right idea. But also consider dropping avoidance for more spell damage as well as mitigation. So, replace avoidance gear with EH, BR, or Spell Damage. I personally prefer to replace avoidance with spell damage gear since I don't really carry much block gear in my bags.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Tiandelin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:41 am

One thing that I found helped a lot with mana is to downrank consecration or only consecrate twice or so on a pull. After the first mob is dead, you'll probably find yourself with a significant threat lead on the rest of them. If you're consecrating until the last mob is dead, it's no wonder that you're running out of mana. Obviously, the case is different for aoe, but in that situation the mobs will be dying closer together anyway.

It's hard to give specific advice without seeing your armory profile, but if you don't have 5/5 improved 1H spec, I would highly advise finding the points to make it fit. As for gear, well... focus on spell damage if you need more threat, but I'm honestly a bit puzzled if you have full T6 (as the end of your post seems to imply) and are still having issues. Maybe try the 0/40/21 SA spec?

I think cutting back on consecration will do a lot, though. That thing eats mana like nothing else.

Edit: Oddly, couldn't see your armory link there before. Anyhow, your gear level is pretty impressive, but I'd say use more spell damage pieces if you're having threat issues. 353 unbuffed is pretty low for T6/Sunwell gear (I run at around 500 or so). And why not just pick up sanctity if you're skipping out on AD? It'll do a lot more for you than improved ret aura.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Fafa » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:52 am

You're not doing anything wrong, you just simply outgear the instance is what it sounds like if mana is the real issue.

Easiest solution is just making sure you have a shadowpriest for za and kara runs :wink: If its a well geared spriest you can keep up your normal, max rank rotations. If you use any cc at all, you could just stop doing that as well.

And I agree with Tiandelin, get more spell dmg 353, is wayyy low for T6+ gear levels, too much warrior gear :P
Fafa

Postby inthedrops » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 am

Oh, I didn't notice your armory link. You need way more spell damage. End of story. If you're running with T6 people I'm surprised they're not complaining yet. Get at least 500. For reference, I am T6/Badge geared but missing quote a few pieces from T5 content and I run ZA trash with more than 700 spell damage unbuffed. My avoidance hovers about 50% and I have crap for block.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Requital » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 am

I was swapping gear pieces around I think the gear I'm currently in is Max HP this was after the run the Max HP is OT Supreumus type gear.

My normal tanking gear is 5pc T6, Mace from ZA about 530 spell damage, I know I need more but ya I was afraid the issue was avoiding to much and needing to mitigate more to keep an even mana return instead of starving and making a mess.
Requital

Postby Kellann » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm

You do realized that you basically answered your own question within your first post - right?

If you're going oom - you're overgearing it. This means it's time to gear down (ie. threat gear)

Other than that, doublecheck the group setup. Bump someone out of their 'optimal' spot if it helps you avoid this problem (on person's loss balanced against multiple people's gain).
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Requital » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Figured as much but I don't tank all the time and generally most people around here are level headed and can offer advice so I figured nothing wrong with looking for some backup.
Requital

Postby Akushi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:41 pm

I honestly never realised how much spell dmg helps untill i got some haha, i was running with my mace and 1 piece of gear with spell dmg that was it, and it was so painful trying to tank heroics because i'd take 1kdmg and usually blocked for 600 lowering the dmg i take to near nothing.

After i upped my spell dmg and lowered my block i found dodge was more valuable and i still make great threat, now i run 40/21 with SA and 510 rawr spell dmg and pump out 1.3k dps in MH 2.4k if i buff up and use wings hehe (using downranked spells consecrate -2 lvls righteous -2 lvls holy shield -1lvl i'm never below 80% mana and ALWAYS got threat).

I miss AD but honestly i never get to tank real bosses, if my gear keeps the way it is i'm going to out gear the MT and the OT by a substantial amount at which point i'm prob gonna respec get AD and demand to MT hehe.
Akushi

Postby Diocaska » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:13 am

Its all about balance.

You'll very soon end up with multiple items of gear for each slot. I carry about 5 tanking trinkets with me in my bags.

Having an addon like Itemrack is quite handy. Create sets for certain bosses, or trash, and quickly switch.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

Postby sahiel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Diocaska wrote:Its all about balance.

You'll very soon end up with multiple items of gear for each slot. I carry about 5 tanking trinkets with me in my bags.

Having an addon like Itemrack is quite handy. Create sets for certain bosses, or trash, and quickly switch.

This. Horse for courses as the saying goes.

You'll soon end up with a '5/10 man' gearset that includes more spelldamage/mitigation than avoidence and find it's much easier to run stuff your normal tank set outgears.

Sadly, including resistance sets I think i'm up to 8 different item rack sets of gear for tanking... WTB [Bag Space].
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby submerged » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 am

I normally run ZA in the gear I have on right now and never have problems. The only change I make is sometimes I use Illidari Runeshield and a threat trinket instead of the pocket watch. I never really have threat problems...
submerged

Postby Frickit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:29 am

Sahiel wrote:
Diocaska wrote:Its all about balance.

This. Horse for courses as the saying goes.

You'll soon end up with a '5/10 man' gearset that includes more spelldamage/mitigation than avoidence and find it's much easier to run stuff your normal tank set outgears.

Sadly, including resistance sets I think i'm up to 8 different item rack sets of gear for tanking... WTB [Bag Space].

I got the first bag from bagtheridon and some people were bitching at the time because I already had a 20 slot bag on me from ZA...I was like heh screw you. Itemrack or something like it ftw.
Frickit

Postby enbee » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 pm

Just shout "sitting down till full mana spam heal me"
gg
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby sunstrike » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:06 am

Ya if mana becomes an issue in heavier gear then just turn your back to the mobs or add a little sit macro button and let yourself get punished until your mana goes up. I find that at our gear level our healers can get downright bored if I don't purposefully take some damage.

It's that or carry around lower gear choices with more block than avoid like T4-5 pieces. That used to be my modus operandi but I've gotten tired of carrying around so much extra baggage.
sunstrike

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations