Heroic Gruul CD Rotation

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Heroic Gruul CD Rotation

Postby Sludgehamer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 am

Hello fellow tanks! I am going into Heroic BRF progression and would like some insight on Gruul. My guild's strat consists of swapping every inferno slash. For example, I get 1 slash then the other tank gets 1 slash, repeat. From what I have been told by the other tank, we both get 3 slashes, and the boss goes into his second phase. One of my questions is if we can drop stacks, solo soak, or even take a slash with Bop or Bubble? If you can take a slash with Bop and Bubble, my idea is that I would DP, Seraphim, Sacred Shield, and SotR the first slash. The second one, I would soak with AD. The third one, I would bubble taunt. The second slash phase, I would keep the same first slash rotation. The second one, I would use DP and Guardians. The third one, I would BoP soak. Now if the bubble or bop drops stacks as well, I would use them in the second slot so I would never have a stack. Also, if we can use bubble, bop, and AD, can we just solo soak slashes out of the group? Since we are not doing the standard 3 slash then taunt strat, I do not think Holy Avenger would be useful for the MT phase because we are swapping often, aka after every slash. The plus side though, DP should be up for every slash and the few seconds after the slash. Instead on popping HA the have a lot of Active Met. during MT phase, I assume I should pop Seraphim 12 seconds before my slash so I have it for both the boss wacking on me and the slash damage. I know I am all over the place here, and I am asking a lot of questions, but I figure it is better to ask than to go in somewhat blind. Thank you all you respond to me.
Sludgehamer

Re: Heroic Gruul CD Rotation

Postby ZorKesh » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

ZorKesh

Postby Schroom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:43 am

doesn't solo soak give 50 energy to the Boss so he will cast the next inferno slice faster? or is this mythic only?

on heroic we did 1 stack per camp. 2 stacks per tank. I taunted into the right camp, Boss tank taunts back. I taunt into the left camp, keep Boss, go on Maintank position, Maintank goes into the right camp, repeat.

didn't need any CDs apart from SoTR on heroic.
Schroom

Postby DisRuptive1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:47 am

Here's how you should do the fight. Put raid icons on both tanks and split the group up evenly, with one group near one of Gruul's legs and the other group near the other leg. With this positioning, boss can be rotated as needed in response to the AoE and each group will know where to go.

Main tank stands in front of boss, off tank stands with one of the groups. Off tank taunts the inferno slice into group A and then main tank retaunts boss back (except after the third slice). Off tank takes 2 slices in group A and one slice in group B and then keeps the boss. The original main tank then takes one slice to group B and two slices to group A, keeps the boss, and you repeat the strat. In this way each group takes 2 slices while tanks take 3.

In regards to pally tanking, Shield of the Righteous every slice in addition to using Divine Protection on the 2nd slice and Guardian of Kings/Ardent Defender on the third.
DisRuptive1

Postby Schroom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:06 am

I never understood why everyone says you should put 2 slice in one group and 1 in the other and take 3 slice as a result in HM.

I always, since the first week do 1 slice in group A, one Slice in Group B , keep Boss. every group takes one slice only. every tank takes 2 slice max. done

there is absolutely no sense in taking 3 slices or having one group soak 2....
Schroom

Postby DisRuptive1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 am

Schroom wrote:I never understood why everyone says you should put 2 slice in one group and 1 in the other and take 3 slice as a result in HM.

I think it's to make sure that slices have a chance to fall off before they are reapplied, however I don't know the timings on the slices.
DisRuptive1

Postby Schroom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 am

they do always fall with the strat I'm describing, I have never experienced a single pull where they didn't.

here is a screen form our logs from yesterday showing clearly how a 3rd stack is more then unnecessary:

also I heard people arguing that you will be overwhelmed by "overwhelming blows" if you don't take 3 stacks. I can't say that either. we never had more then 9s tacks each.
Schroom

Postby Jazende » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:29 am

People are probably sticking to tactics that worked earlier. I don't know when it happened, but Inferno Slice debuff definitely was 40 seconds at release, where it is now 30 seconds. This makes a huge change in tactic possible.

This is our log from 11/feb
Jazende

Postby Schroom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:25 pm

euhm I still have our logs from release day... February 4th here in EU.

our elementar Shaman in Group 1:

we see, 30s

the 40s duration was ONLY for tanks, which didn't matter if you only took 2 stacks and then switched....

seen here:

so I still don't see why 3stacks would have had any reason? I'm seriously asking , we didn't watch any guides or sth that may have been out back then, we played him on beta where our strat worked already and never changed it on live, so maybe there was a bad guide around at the time or sth?
Schroom

Postby Quietmode » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 am

Did anyone notice anything different about mythic gruul this last week week?

We had done about 20-30 attempts on him previously but monday when i was getting some strange timings with overwhelming blows that I had never seen before.

We do the 3 tank mythic strategy as mentioned by fatboss. Each tank takes 2 inferno slices and keeps the boss after the 2nd.

So Tank A is tanking and Tank B takes 2 strikes
Tank B is tanking and Tank C takes 2 strikes
Tank C is tanking and Tank A takes 2 strikes

Well I am Tank A, and when it returns back to me, we had 3 attempts in a row where my overwhelming blow stats refreshed with ~1second left on the debuff. After the first time, i made sure that I wasnt being clipped by any of the other tanks blows, so it wasnt being unnecessarily refreshed. I looked through our older logs, and noticed that the debuff falls off usually 0.2-0.5seconds before It is reapplied.

Are we doing something wrong that would cause it to not fall off? If i don't notice it refreshing, I sometimes just get one shot. On our kill thankfully i noticed and called for a Pain suppression to survive it.
Quietmode

Postby Schroom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:58 pm

the faboss guide is "wrong" it was made before the nerf. There is absolutely no need to take 2 slices each now, only one of the tanks needs to take 2 as you rotate. but there will never be more than 1 stack on a camp.

this way you have way less raid damage AND way less stacks of overwhelming blows, dumbing the Boss down immensely.

as mentioned in the previous posts
Schroom

Postby Fenris » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:49 pm

yep,we have always killed him doing 1 each group-swap tank cycle,the debuff fades well before the next slash
All the character profile site keep going down,so i could as well not place anything here
Fenris

Postby Minraduk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:17 am

The only reason to do 3 stacks each tank is to reset the overwhelming blows stacks on each tank.
Although from my experience it works better if you switch every 2 stacks.
The off tank should save his cds for the final part though because he will have about 20-30 overwhelming blows stacks on him which hurts a lot.
Minraduk

Postby Schroom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 am

with 3 tanks doing 1-1-2 overwhelming blows also do drop off before you have to tank again. you just have to pay attention NOT to take a stack of OB when you taunt for the infernoslice. If you do get a stack here, the other tank was to slow on taunting.
Schroom

Return to Warlords of Draenor (T17+)