I guess this is where it should go.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

I guess this is where it should go.

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Ok is pvp worth it? Bored last night waiting on my normal 5 man group to get on I thought I'd pvp some.

I got off of WoW altogether after being very aggrivated.

Couple questions regarding pvp.

Is it worth it? Looking at the rewards about the only thing I think I would ever maybe get is the mace with the spell dmg. Am I wrong in thinking this is the only thing worth doing?

Second question is. What do you do?

As a prot paladin what is some of the tactics you use? Right now I like WSG. I love to play D on the flag. Even though I am only 65 it still take a very long time for several classes to bring me down getting zero healing. I also love helping the runners or being the runner myself. So any tips for WSG?

Bored at work thought I'd ask the pros. Thanks in advance.
VikrumthePally

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I find that I am very entertained (even if not overall effective) when I act as a magnet for ret paladins, rogues, and warriors. Pulling three people away while someone caps the flag *(If I actually had teammates in on the plan) is cool.

Mages and other casters annihilate me like Nefarion eating an after-dinner mint. It's very frustrating.

As for rewards:
- The pvp shield (S1, and eventually S2) is Very Nice in terms of Effective Health.
- Gavels. You wants one.
- If you want to do arenas, getting a set of S1 (or S2, once S4 hits) healing gear is a big asset, compared to not having any resilience.

My biggest gripe with PvP is that I feel utterly useless. On my DPS class (hunter) I can at least help with an offense, or try to take an unwary defender by surprise. As a healer, I feel like I'm passively following wherever the mob is going (and they are reknowned for sucking). As prot, I can defend a node fairly well vs melee people, but not when they attack in a group of 4 or 5, or when there's a caster.

edit:
Ironically, I'd actually LIKE to get good at pvp. Healing people feels good, and I'd like the chance to Not Suck in arenas, too. Any tips? :) Am I basically going to need to grind out 400 honor per hour in crappy PUGs until I get my S1? What can I do to make it not be as frustrating?
Kelaan

Re: I guess this is where it should go.

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 pm

VikrumthePally wrote:I guess this is where it should go.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Elsie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Ret pvp is a great stress relief.
Elsie

Re: I guess this is where it should go.

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

moduspwnens wrote:
VikrumthePally wrote:I guess this is where it should go.

To quote Micheal Scott "that's what she said."
VikrumthePally

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Elsie wrote:Ret pvp is a great stress relief.

Really? I don't really have good ggear by any stretch (Weapon is equiv to S1, but my other gear is all pvp blues and such), I was expecting to pretty much be useless in that.
Kelaan

Postby Lookit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I enjoy tanking in AV. I rush Galv and tank him, then rush RH and eventually tank Drek and the WM's.

In any other BG, I throw on my healing gear (with a couple stam pieces and maybe a spell damage weapon) and spend most of my time healing. Healing an arms warrior in full S3 for 20k is a lot more helpful than trying to actually kill anyone outright.
Lookit

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Maybe what I should do is find a guildie warrior who still does BGs (and we have several PvPers), and ask if I can be their pocket healer while they beat things down. :-D Sounds like a win-win. Even my weak prot heals are better than none, and if someone else gets wise and heals them too, even better. (I'd spec holy, but ... 25g respec costs make me cry. Probably because I'd rather play than do dailies lol!)

Thanks for the advice, Lookit :)
Kelaan

Postby Janduin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:21 am

Wait...25g respec costs?
Janduin

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 am

AV -> Tank

AB, EotS -> Defend

WSG, EotS -> Run Flags

If you really want to you can switch to healing gear and survive longer than a Holy Paladin. Unfortunately, without the Holy Talents we are much easier to shut down. Even though I have a great set of Healing gear I'd rather not bother with it.

If I'm not defending I try to play the role of a distraction, be the first one to attack a node to draw the enemy fire. That opens up the real DPS for a clean assault.

You could also go with the "Holy ruse", toss on healing 1Her and shield and toss some heals to get peoples attention.

Another thing I like to do is harass the healers.
Pick out the main healer in an attack and stun them, turn em into a chicken, attack em with SoJustice and drop bombs and grenades on them.
Overall just be as much of a PITA as you can be.
Dragonzbane

Postby zor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm

If you want to do something different, just toss on as much arms warrior style gear as you can find and act like you are a ret paladin.

It can sort of be fun if you have reckoning and it procs.

Here's a video I put together just to show off to my guild kind of demonstrating how it works out.

The PvP Reckoning Bomb - aka PvPing as a (lol) Prot Paladin.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=381808693357245046&q=cyniczor&ei=zgpHSO_tIqj2rAKknrGXDA&hl=en

You could also go with what some others have said in the thread and toss on some healing gear and find a nice MS warrior to follow around.
Last edited by zor on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zor

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 pm

I bring two sets of gear to BGs, my healing set and my tanking set. I decided a long time ago that there are basically three things I can do:

Survive.
Heal.
Tank.

I generally do AV because it seems like the fastest honor and I actually enjoy it. I usually rush Galv and tank if there isn't someone there with better gear. Then I switch to my healing set and heal people as we get the RH or guard towers. Then it's back to tanking for Drek.

In the other instances I tend to defend, heal, run flags, and act as a distraction. I find pvping on a paladin much more relaxing than other classes because I don't give a crap about killing blows or kills.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby VikrumthePally » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:53 am

Just an update. Been doing a lot more pvp. Mostly WSG. Had a lot of success as of late. At one point (not to toot my own horn) but I ran about 17 flags in a row with 1 death (and not just a super amount of healing). So just thought I'd share my tactics.

I am Horde so I start out on the far right shoot out our Gy. Race up behind the alilance ramp go through the hole in the fence. Go up to the upper portion of their base where I am right above the little room inside their FR. Now if you hit the "V" key to see enemies life bar you can a lot of the times see if anyone is in that room or not. Tbh if there is that doesn't really stop me. ;)

Now pop Devo Aura/Kings (used Crusader to get there first) and if there is ANYONE with me, no matter the class and they engage first I can almost always grab the flag, shoot the tunnel and make it to mid. If there is no one with me and no one getting close to their base I pop a free action potion and well that equals win.

Now as I am running any debuff that gets on me I am spamming cleanse. Even if I can't dispel it I just keep hitting because it's only a matter of time before a priest or lock shows up.

If I happen to get any one of the 1000's of slowing effects on me like frost shock, bolt, poison I just cleanse it off. But the part that I love to do is if I am getting attacked a lot I just pop HS spin to face the alliance that way I can dodge, parry, block. When I see I have cleansed the movement reducing effect I just spin right back around and try to drive it home.

I refuse to use my super healing/mana potions. I still use the tenacity trinket as it acts like a heal and is almost always a difference maker. Also if you are horde pally Arcane Torrent helps a lot. A lot of times while running the flag caster classes roll up to me while on their mount and I just pop that before they can even get a spell off.

Now if someone else has the flag and I can see they are going to make it easily or already have a lot of help I just go right back to my spot and wait for the flag to reset. About 90% of the time all of the alliance have chased that FC all the way to our FR and is almost always easy to get to mid with no combat.

If I have the flag and we are in a stalemate I just take it to the very top of our base. I go to the far corner behind that obstruction in the middle of the roof pan around and I can see if anyone comes up the ramp. I always use level 1 consecrate to detect any rogues/druids. If it looks like we (meaning you have someone up there with you which is almost certain) can outlast the assault that comes up there trying to take the flag I'll stay there and fight. But if I can tell we don't have the ability to outlast them I just drop down and run out towards the GY hang the first left to go up that ramp and basically just stop. They always think they'll outsmart me and beat me back to the FR. That usually buys a lot of time. To me being still = death.

Last comment. Tell people where you are and your plan of attack. Most people in BG's are just there to kill people until you give them a mission. I always announce that if I am the FC I will be taking it out their tunnel and through mid and that I would appreciate any heals. And when you have a healer with you Blessing of Protection is ftw. They are going to try and take down the healer if they are smart. And that healer being able to cast with zero interruption means you live that much longer. Communication ftw.

This will hopefully help you in WSG.

Sorry for the very long post. Just thought I'd share. Good luck.
VikrumthePally

Return to General Strats