ZG Tiger Boss

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby ARogers » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 am

Belarkan wrote:
Paloo wrote:
Elsie wrote:The trick I've found is simply to get the other two down to 2-6k hp. Then allow the healer to continue healing until you can reliably get him to heal to 50-65%. Then burn him down. Just let him heal and try to get a low hp start point.

Ofc the healer won't try to heal the other two when they are at 2-6k health... the thing that f*cked up everything in all my tries is that the healer healed one of the two other guys while I was silenced or the interrupts were on cd. This is something you seem to exclude entirely in your post. I agree tho that the stars need to align.

Will probably try out some things again against the boss if I get bored over the holidays... I don't really know what I'm missing but every sucessful strat I read here seems to rely on luck/ black out some stuff that simply is going to happen. ;/

Well, two hours of failure here too.
The healer will sometime heal the one that has the most health which messes things.
Very often, I got silenced during the heal and bubble + hammer doesn't work - thanks to the lag and the GCD the healer get stun after the heal is finished even if the cast bar says 1s left.

I tried this and failed a lot due to trying to burn him down too fast with the other guys having a bit too much life. If I went in with a little different strategy, I could probably have gotten it straightened out. I think the real trick is to get a spare prot set and gem/enchant for DPS. It will lower the top-end of AD, but AD will still be pretty effective.

The reason I say this is that I tested a lot with the silence. I would raelly like someone to conifrm this, but it seems like the heal and silence are on the same INDEPENDANT cooldown. What I found to work was as soon as he cast the first heal (on another guy of course because usually over 50%) that you should bubble/hammer ASAP. It will delay the heal and the healer will cast again in a short bit. However, it seems they go back to their same casting, but you've thrown the heal off form the silence. It seemed like everytime after this that he tried to heal, there was a window for a stun.

Another tactic I found helpful was to put up seal of justice shortly before I thought that he was going to cast. Even if i missed the heal, I delayed it just enough to delay it and give me a stun window.

I need to enchant some blue stuff I have for more dps still. I wish I had a way to determine what tank items created the most DPS.
ARogers

Postby ARogers » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 am

Belarkan wrote:
Paloo wrote:
Elsie wrote:The trick I've found is simply to get the other two down to 2-6k hp. Then allow the healer to continue healing until you can reliably get him to heal to 50-65%. Then burn him down. Just let him heal and try to get a low hp start point.

Ofc the healer won't try to heal the other two when they are at 2-6k health... the thing that f*cked up everything in all my tries is that the healer healed one of the two other guys while I was silenced or the interrupts were on cd. This is something you seem to exclude entirely in your post. I agree tho that the stars need to align.

Will probably try out some things again against the boss if I get bored over the holidays... I don't really know what I'm missing but every sucessful strat I read here seems to rely on luck/ black out some stuff that simply is going to happen. ;/

Well, two hours of failure here too.
The healer will sometime heal the one that has the most health which messes things.
Very often, I got silenced during the heal and bubble + hammer doesn't work - thanks to the lag and the GCD the healer get stun after the heal is finished even if the cast bar says 1s left.

I tried this and failed a lot due to trying to burn him down too fast with the other guys having a bit too much life. If I went in with a little different strategy, I could probably have gotten it straightened out. I think the real trick is to get a spare prot set and gem/enchant for DPS. It will lower the top-end of AD, but AD will still be pretty effective.

The reason I say this is that I tested a lot with the silence. I would raelly like someone to conifrm this, but it seems like the heal and silence are on the same INDEPENDANT cooldown. What I found to work was as soon as he cast the first heal (on another guy of course because usually over 50%) that you should bubble/hammer ASAP. It will delay the heal and the healer will cast again in a short bit. However, it seems they go back to their same casting, but you've thrown the heal off form the silence. It seemed like everytime after this that he tried to heal, there was a window for a stun.

Another tactic I found helpful was to put up seal of justice shortly before I thought that he was going to cast. Even if i missed the heal, I delayed it just enough to delay it and give me a stun window.

I need to enchant some blue stuff I have for more dps still. I wish I had a way to determine what tank items created the most DPS.
ARogers

Postby Eanin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 am

The problem I've been having is that I can't actually do enough dps on the healer to keep it from healing the others. If I use my AoE abilities like Hammer of Righteousness and Consecration, I accidentally kill the other two, but with just Shield of Righteousness, it heals itself too quickly and then starts healing the others.

I've tried a bunch of ideas, including using seal of corruption, a full ret set with sword and board and even turning my back on the other two so that I can use Hammer of the Righteous freely. Nothing really worked.
Eanin

Postby Zeels » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:18 pm

I also struggled a good 2hour before running out lol.

Was really close sometimes, and it felt it was possible if I would have had 3/3 imp hammer.

Anyways might try again later on. I'm also feeling what's said above... to have enough DPS to actually get the priest down to below 50, can sometimes be really tricky, bubbling out of silence and then hammer, usually fails (gcds + lag + reaction).
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Mex » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:43 pm

From what I can tell, there's a threshold at which the healer will decide to heal herself instead of her friends. From experience, it's around 40%, so if you can get her below 40%, she'll use her heal on herself.

The trick is to time things right, and to be very aware of the health of all 3 mobs. You want to pile as much damage onto the healer as possible, to keep her healing herself, but you also want to keep the health of the other two fairly even. It's a big grind, mostly because the only damage the other two are taking is from HotR (consecration is bad, unless everything else is on cooldown, you want to primarily focus on doing max single target DPS to the healer.)

I just did this with a 2k passive BV set and found it stupidly easy.
Mex

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I guess I just need more gear (or patience? Backup shields? :)).

I found I could often interrupt her heal if I had SoJustice on... unfortunately, this meant that I couldn't use SoW or SoL to keep mana/healing up. Should I count on just living in Ardent Defender range, rather than trying to stay with higher health? More importantly, if I didn't have SoV on, it was quite hard to keep her and the others damaged enough to keep from just getting healed up to 80%-ish frequently. :(

Was the high-BV set helpful for more burst damage, or for reduced damage? Any other tips are welcome. At this point, I want to bring a warrior or rogue to kick the heals. :(
Kelaan

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:51 am

Honestly? bring a DK... win the fight easily... basically anything with an interrupt would work.. but I like the DK idea... they have a decent amount of aoe dmg (esp as unholy) and have plenty of burst...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:49 am

Honestly, it isn't that bad. One trick that helps a little with getting started is leaving a tiger up. If you don't get her below 50% (in my experience, where she only heals herself), she's more likely to heal the tiger than heal one of the other guys. Spec'ing for HoJ helps, and so does being a BElf.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby ARogers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:02 am

moduspwnens wrote:Honestly, it isn't that bad. One trick that helps a little with getting started is leaving a tiger up. If you don't get her below 50% (in my experience, where she only heals herself), she's more likely to heal the tiger than heal one of the other guys. Spec'ing for HoJ helps, and so does being a BElf.

The main problem that I had with this was that the tigers died fairly fast due to Consecration and HotR. I couldn't DPS her of the boss and 2nd add very fast without them though.

I tried to use a seal of Blood a couple times too to dps her faster, but it just didn't work out for me because my health dropped too low!!
ARogers

Postby Eanin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:33 pm

I think this might become possible once I get epicced out with my ret set. I can do about 35-40% damage to her between heals, and 50% is the magic number.
Eanin

Postby Sockpuppet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:02 pm

What I've done the past few weeks when soloing for the mount (still no luck) I've been just starting out by burning the gouging add down to ~20%, then the boss down to ~20% and if any of the adds gets healed I get the add back down to 20%, then I just start pounding on the healer and when the healer is going low (20%ish) I start DPSing the other adds down to less than 5k each, then hopefully if you're not silenced you can interrupt the healer w/ hammer if that's up, if not then you nuke the healer down, then the boss and then the gouging bastard.
My record time is just a bit over 5mins, that was when I was lucky w/ silences and heals.
Sunburns are clearly our body's way of telling us we need to hurry up and evolve some armor plating or something.
Sockpuppet

Postby Belarkan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 am

As far as I can tell, the heal seems to be on a slightly less than 30 seconds cooldown.
Silences seem to act like there are 2 sort of silences, one long and one short on different cooldowns. It happened that I was silenced for 10 seconds in a raw.

Other issues I noticed.
Both the other add and the boss are about the same health.
The healer will heal the boss twice, instead of healing the boss and then the add. I messes things as the add will die and rez.

The good point, you can go and try solo hakkard without killing thekall.
He hit faster, but you block 100% so it only gives you more mana which is a rather good point :)
Belarkan

Postby viperas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm

If you pull the boss and his adds down to the tree stump close to the door and jump onto it while they are 5-10 yards away they will evade and reset after ~20 sec. If you run up and agro the ADDS before the boss makes it back to his starting point there is around a 50% chance he will yell and go directly to phase 2.

If he doesn't yell you can always just run back to the tree stump. I tried this and the hardest part was the adds before the boss.

One day Ill have more then quest blues and will be able to do it the real way.
viperas

The Answer

Postby Krazy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:04 pm

I've heard about the stump trick, problem with that is the axe thrower thrash before the boss will annihilate you. The stump trick is also using an evade bug, which could possibly get you a ban.

This trick I am about to explain is slightly, eh, but probably would not get you in trouble as its not using an evade or anything, just creative use of terrain.

Here's a screenshot of where you want to be...

The trick here is to get Lor'khan (the healer) on one side of this post and Zath and Thekal on the other. What this does is puts Zath and Thekal out of line of site from Lor'khan and she can't heal them at all. This lets you burn down Thekal and Zath to your heart's content, free from her heals until they are around 2-3% (be careful not to kill them, I just auto attack for that last bit). When they are almost dead, switch to lor'khan and burn her down. She might heal herself a couple times but just interrupt all you can. Eventually she will die and when she does, switch to the other 2 and pop them (if you did it right one hammer of the righteous should kill them easy).

Viola, Tiger Boss made super simple...
Krazy

Postby viperas » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:40 pm

I didn't know that evading them like that was something ban worthy. Ill keep that in mind though, thanks.

The axe thrower trash is HELL but if you get lucky (and use a LoH or potion) its possible. I managed it right before posting about the stump trick. Don't like posting something I haven't tried. Trash and boss both solo with just blues and minor heroic epics. I will probably try your way method (and eat a repair bill in all likelyhood) just to see if it works. Either way I won't be chancing a ban for a simple boss.
viperas

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats