Remove Advertisements

CC is for pussies.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby NarfJones » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:15 pm

kalbear wrote:
I still feel that way to a certain extent, but I understand the pally way of doing things a bit better now. But still, there have to be some situations where you need crowd control, where the mobs just hit you too hard to deal with too many at one time, right? No reason to look down on crowd control.
Absolutely. Good crowd control is great. I don't tend to like hunter CC as much as some others because it means I'll need to not use AS at the start (or be very careful of who I mark trap) but there are plenty of cases where I want someone else to deal with some random mob that hits just way too hard. I'm mostly thinking heroics here.

Depends on the gear level and the pull, but CC can be just fine.

<=====giant pussy

Usually the mobs that hit the hardest are immune to CC.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Averroes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 am

How the hell do you CC in Crypts? They just MC you and you wipe lol
Averroes

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 am

Averroes wrote:How the hell do you CC in Crypts? They just MC you and you wipe lol

turn in a rogue and take 4 others, you'll all CloS out of MC :D
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:01 am

Averroes wrote:How the hell do you CC in Crypts? They just MC you and you wipe lol
I like to HoJ the mc adds, haven't had problems being MCed >.<
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Shalindreal » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:12 am

I spent so many years as a warrior tank that it is tough to get over the idea but as my paly gets more and more geared and i'm more and more confortable, i'm starting to see that CC truly is for pussies lol.

The other day i got invited to a PuG heroic mech (which i had always done with at least 1 cc) that was made up of 2 shadow priests, a geared paly healer, a hunter from my guild and me tanking. I asked if one of the priests wanted to MC, but the healer just said "you're a paly tank, just aoe it all." so i figured what the hell lol. Even on the nuker packs (which honestly are easier for a BE paly to pull together because of arcane torrent, this place was a hilarious joke and we cleared the entire instance in under 40 minutes. I can't wait to run heroic mech again lol.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Shál]Image[/url]
Shalindreal

Postby kalbear » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 am

Usually the mobs that hit the hardest are immune to CC.
Which is why you CC the other ones in that case.

Dunno. To me, learning to use CC is a vital part of learning to tank. If you don't do it, you're not as good a tank as you could be and you are removing tools in your toolbox. As you get better geared and more experienced (and as your healer does) CC becomes less important, but that specific level is very different depending on where you go and what you do; I don't think that level is particularly low in SSC, for instance.
kalbear

Postby Neuros » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:51 pm

CC is like rules. There to be broken.

P.S. "Anybody who charges into mobs determined to break all forms of CC has got to be insane." Not sure what that says for my mental health.

P.P.S. Logically, CC on melee targets = bad for tankadins. Less hits = less reactive damage. (Probably already been stated)
Neuros
Race: Blood Elf
Level: 60
Spec: Lolret :(
Server: Shadowsong - US
Guild: Guíldless (That's actually the name of the guild)
Neuros

Postby Serisu » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Finally, a place I call home. Thanks for making this forum and thanks all for all the usefull information about tanking with a Paladin.
I've been holy most of my life but am switching more often to prot every week cause I believe we can rock in tanking (also thanks to you all), even in 25men.. Problem is, alot don't think we can.. ignorance..

This post took my attention since today I was so annoyed by 'the usual way of doing things in Kara'... Banish this, shackle that..

We are running Kara for so long now and on the brink of doing our first 25men, which is nice. Anyhow, tonight I 'helped out'in Karazhan as an OT, well it got me soooo demotivated cause people just can't believe I rather tank 3 mobs then 1.
So I take 3 mobs, nvm the shackle and banish, and just tank the crap out of them, and still at next group people still shackle etc. MT Warrior giving me 1 mob, well whooptiedo, what nice tanking that is.. So here we are, me OT one mob and after that do some heals next to three other healers in raid... kinda useless, better invite a DPS or much worse, OT moroes for example, no dmg receiving so no mana eventually.. Can't make people believe I can tank more at moroes, still CC.. Hate the word CC.

So instead of only pooring my demotivation in this forum..
Pala OT? Is that a nice job? Tonight gave me the impression not.

My 2 cents about cc, and some other things :)

Regards,
Serisu
Serisu

Postby Fahsky » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 pm

CC does have it's place, for me anyway (insert lawlz at my gear). But, I still run into people who insist that they know better than I my limits or the instance, & CC mobs that I have not marked, have not mentioned at all, then get irritated when their CC is broken, or messes up the flow some other way. Like, when I've made the mistake of not breaking a sap/sheep/trap on purpose to keep the peace, & it breaks & runs over to the rogue/mage/hunter, who drops aggro (or runs around like a retard), causing stress on the healer or the DPS, or hopefully just me.

Some people I've run into act like when you break their (never mind that it's unnecessary) CC, you've kicked their dog, pissed on their grandma's grave, punched their mother, kicked sand in their face, whatever. I've run into at least five people who become just completely belligerent over broken CC where nothing bad happened because of it. It makes me just want to leave the group when I have some tweeny kid screaming at me over Vent or whispers because ZOMG, his Sheep was broken in normal SH!111 (or whatever)

It just pisses me off when stupid crap happens, then I get the blame, whether it's because I broke the CC & everything went smoothly, or I left it alone & then didn't pick it up fast enough when it breaks, & their dumbass doesn't re-cast Sheep or whatever in time. >_< The whole 'damned if you do, ect' thing.

TLDR version: Stupid PuGs are stupid.
Fahsky

Re: CC is for pussies.

Postby Bundy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 am

I only got through reading half way down the 2nd page before I couldnt take it anymore.
If someone wants to CC and make shit easier for everyone, why would you yell at him or purposly break it?

Because you like stroking your epeen thats why...oh look at me, I can tank 6 guys at once even though I dont need to.

Maybe you dont remember the days where you HAD TO CC!! If you didnt CC or CC broke mid fight and wasnt redone, you were promptly owned. Hell I even remember being yelled at cuz I didnt sap automaticly every pull without any kind of marks or directions.

People would actualy be in LFG saying LFM CC for whatever. A hunter that couldnt trap well was useless, and one that used the best traps for the situation was praised.

So although it is not always neccassary, what is really? 1 Tank of some kind, 1 Healer of ome kind, and a few guys that can do some kinda damage, and mission complete.

If you want to make something more difficult than it needs to be, do it on your own time. Or at least say something before hand. Its like those people who think people who kick in a fight are pussies. Why? Because there using all there given tools to their advantage? Make some sense please, thx.
Bundy

Postby hoho » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:29 am

CC can be nice for saving a group/raid from certain death. It's not mandatory any more as it was in TBC but I've had much fun as both rogue and warlock when doing 5-mans and saving people's lives with stuns and taunts or when making tank's life easier by having my pet tank (weaker) mobs :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby amh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:31 am

Bundy wrote:I only got through reading half way down the 2nd page before I couldnt take it anymore.
If someone wants to CC and make shit easier for everyone, why would you yell at him or purposly break it?

With today's heroics, cc only slows you down. Of course you're going to use cc where needed, but it generally isn't.

Maybe you dont remember the days where you HAD TO CC!! If you didnt CC or CC broke mid fight and wasnt redone, you were promptly owned. Hell I even remember being yelled at cuz I didnt sap automaticly every pull without any kind of marks or directions.

This thread was started back then :p The viability of CC in times past has got nothing to do with it at level 80.

If you want to make something more difficult than it needs to be, do it on your own time. Or at least say something before hand. Its like those people who think people who kick in a fight are pussies. Why? Because there using all there given tools to their advantage? Make some sense please, thx.

Heroics have been tuned down to the point where they're meant to be dead easy, and they are. All tanks can aoe-tank an heroic. This is exactly so that you don't have to "LFM 1x mage/rogue/hunter that knows how to chain-trap".
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 am

Bundy wrote:I only got through reading half way down the 2nd page before I couldnt take it anymore.

Because you like stroking your epeen thats why...oh look at me, I can tank 6 guys at once even though I dont need to.

Feh, I gave up on CC back at level 70, when Avenger's Shield pretty much farked any attempt to sap or trap a mob, and when a loose mob I wasn't building aggro on usually led to a dead healer. And then later on, as my gear improved, if I wasn't being hit enough, I'd have no mana to build aggro on a CC'd mob after the initial pull. Things just went smoother with no CC on a 2.x Paladin.

There's no epeen-stroking about it, I've just always preferred to run 5-mans that way, and the trivial nature of most lvl 80 heroics haven't caused me to change my mind.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Bundy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm

amh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:31 am

Bundy wrote:
I only got through reading half way down the 2nd page before I couldnt take it anymore.

With today's heroics, cc only slows you down. Of course you're going to use cc where needed, but it generally isn't.

This thread was started back then :p The viability of CC in times past has got nothing to do with it at level 80.

Heroics have been tuned down to the point where they're meant to be dead easy, and they are. All tanks can aoe-tank an heroic. This is exactly so that you don't have to "LFM 1x mage/rogue/hunter that knows how to chain-trap".

I know CC is not needed, I just said that. But to PURPOSLEY BREAK IT OR YELL AT SOMEONE FOR DOING IT is where I think you guys are wrong.

Its the equivalant of you being in a fight with 4 friends and one of your friends wants to use his legs to his advantage and kick someone, and since you disaprove of the use of legs in a fight, you go over there and break his legs and yell at him to only punch people and using your legs is for pussies.
Its part of the class mechanic and if he wants to use his toon to its fullest extent, you have no right stop him.

And aside form that, it just flat out promotes lazziness, and further makes dpsing mind numbing button mashing.

Having to re - CC is only gonna enhance that players overall skills by making him pay attention to everyting going on around him instead of the one target hes downing.
Bundy

Postby sarutobi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Bundy wrote:I know CC is not needed, I just said that. But to PURPOSLEY BREAK IT OR YELL AT SOMEONE FOR DOING IT is where I think you guys are wrong.

[goblin]Time is money friend.[/goblin]

CC slows down the run. (assuming a lack of CC doesn't cause a wipe)
Toroko <Serious Casual> Mal'Ganis (US)
sarutobi

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats