Remove Advertisements

CC is for pussies.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:28 am

Alienne wrote:Every time a rogue saps when I haven't asked him to, I specifically target that mob for my Avenger's Shield.

It takes a few pulls, but eventually they get the picture.
This.

Last UB run had a rogue that I brought merely for comical relief(he's good at it, so oblivious he can be on not-boss fights).
I say "Don't kidneyshot him"
"but i do it solo all the time! I need it to kill the mob!"
"In solo, not here. I take the hits, he hates me for it, and you spank him harder"
"Ah. But kidney shot gives me +9% damage"
"less QQ more Pew Pew"
"bah"
<rogue proceeds to garrote-ss-slice-ss-backstab-backstab-backstab-mutilate>
"Wait, the thing didn'ta ttack me? SWEET"

The fun part of the fight was the healer though. He was having such an easy time healing me through each pull that on Musel'ek he pulled the underbog lord so he'd have somethign to do. Hilarity ensued when the rogue thought we'd die.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lalecize » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Ahh Monday...time to dig up an older post..

CC is for pussies! In fact NOT using CC has saved lives.
We are the chuck norris of tanks....

Take last night in Shadow Labs I pulled a 8 pull consecreated/holyshielded/dumped a lot of threat on all of them fast, DC'd halfway through the fight as wow crashed, reopened wow and logged back in to see the dps finishing off the last mob still beating on me.

No one believed me when I told them I had dc'd!

Sheesh us pallys can tank even without being logged in!

Ive seen this rubbish of people complaining about not getting to use CC. After pulling 3 sets in ramps (god im glad i rolled a pallytank) I had a hunter the other night saying "BUT I CANZ TRAP IF U LIEK K".

Coming from my Rogue main (not anymore :D ) I don't understand people who love CC.

I love pallytanks on my rogue, because I dont have to sap. Thats less chance (specially in heroics) of my stealth breaking and me getting WTFPOWNED trying to lay down a sap that really is the worst form of CC ever.
Not that i'll complain if asked to do it, in fact its expected, I just love it when I dont have to.

I think not using CC actually allows people to do MORE dps. Take a warlock guildey of mine. She pulls out 600dps with our druid tank and her using her succy for CC, yet with me AOE tanking she can crank 900+dps.
The druid says its all relative as she's hitting more mobs at once.

I explained that 900dps on 5 targets > 600dps on one target...meh.
Warlocks and Hunters definetely benefit from being allowed to just focus on killing stuff rather than CC'ing a mob.

Therefore CC is for pussies :lol:
Lalecize

Postby Canuun » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 pm

No CC is great right until you get to a situation you or your healer can't handle. Then it's arrogance, and it will get you killed.
Canuun

Postby Invisusira » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 pm

I did Shattered Halls today with some random pug (for the billionth time trying to get Savagery) and the group was like "so with you we won't have to use CC until later right" and I was like "yes, if by later you mean Black Temple."

Please rate my cleverness on the following scale:

<------------------------------------------->
Bacon -----Dinosaurs----- Wafflesforface
Invisusira

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Invisusira wrote:I did Shattered Halls today with some random pug (for the billionth time trying to get Savagery) and the group was like "so with you we won't have to use CC until later right" and I was like "yes, if by later you mean Black Temple."

Please rate my cleverness on the following scale:

Bacon -----Dinosaurs----- Wafflesforface

Wait, higher is to the right yeah?:)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Amirya » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Agreed.

In fact, whenever I pug, I specifically tell the group, "I do not like CC. I'd rather get the hell beaten out of me. Oh, and healer....how are you at healing semi-insane tanks?"

If my healer is a priest, I also tell them to not ever drop a bubble on me unless I'm flashing red/dying. There's only one priest I ever let get away with bubbling me. And the shadow priest I usually run with...she refuses to bubble me until my health drops to about 100, because I've had to yell at her about bubbling me before a fight.

I had a Mana-Tombs run go something like this:

"Okay, if you really want to sheep, you can have the moon. However, if it breaks inside my Consecrate radius, don't bother resheeping, it's an AoE DoT."
It took the mage about 6 times before he figured out I wasn't kidding about not resheeping inside of a Consecrate radius.

I usually have to argue with hunters who want to trap, too (you wouldn't believe the amount of hunters I've seen who break their own traps because they pulled with a Sting instead of Arcane Shot) - I don't feel like having to pull aggro off them 'cause of their own stupidity. Rogues seem to love it when I tell them to just dps, don't worry about saps.

Now, if I can just train mages and shadow priests to Counterspell/Silence casters when I can't LoS them...
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Erutaron » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Amirya wrote:Now, if I can just train mages and shadow priests to Counterspell/Silence casters when I can't LoS them...

Mages, sure, but not all Shadow Priests have silence.....

I use CC for my first run in an instance as a tank, just to learn the pulls as a tank, rather then a DPSer. After that, pfft, you cc a target, I intentionally break it and yell at the CC'er
Erutaron

Postby Erendis » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 pm

I don't understand people that CC when not asked. On my hunter when i run in a PuG. I simply say: "Let me know if you want to to trap." If they don't assign me a mark I don't trap expect to lay one down on the healer when things could go bad.

I hate mages that keep sheeping mobs that I don't ask them to sheep and then tell me to not use consecrate. I ask them if they would like to tank.
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Invisusira wrote:(for the billionth time trying to get Savagery)

Did you know you can farm that by resetting the pull? Bring a priest.

Pull the dudes. Kill everything except one of the adds. MC it. The pull should reset.

Repeat until you have your enchant.

Read that somewhere; was going to do it myself but the thing dropped my first run ^_^.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Brenna » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:12 am

My main is a 70 hunter (my pally is only 41 - came here to start learning what I'm supposed to be doing). Anyway, I LOVE trapping. I get disappointed if I go through an instance without getting to trap at least a little. It makes things more interesting for me, and is one of the ways a hunter can differentiate themselves as being good at their class. And I always make sure to trap way behind the group so there's no chance of being in consecrate. And I can chain trap a mob indefinitely - if it gets broken early due to resists or something, I can easily scatter shot to give myself enough time to figure out how to deal with it (kite it until trap is off cooldown, ask the tank to take it, etc.)

The first few times I went to instances with a pally tank, I was a bit dismayed by the chaos of it all. With a warrior or druid tank, things are more deliberate and organized - because they have to be. One target at a time, the rest crowd controlled. Everything nicely marked.

I still feel that way to a certain extent, but I understand the pally way of doing things a bit better now. But still, there have to be some situations where you need crowd control, where the mobs just hit you too hard to deal with too many at one time, right? No reason to look down on crowd control.
Brenna

Postby Amirya » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Erutaron wrote:Mages, sure, but not all Shadow Priests have silence.....

You're quite correct in this; I should specify - I need to train shadow priests who have Silence to actually use it when I can't LoS (and it's not on cooldown!).

So to celebrate me hitting 70 today, I went and finished tanking BF for a friend. Towards the end, he decided the rogues needed to sap casters.

My response: "So boring."
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Klepsacovic » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm

I use CC as a spell interrupt, not because I can't handle the mobs or take the damage. When a mob randomly throws bombs that wipe out my healers there must be countermeasures. Sometimes just kicking more ass doesn't work. :(
I don't have a DPS meter so I use an aggro meter. I always win.
Klepsacovic

Postby kalbear » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I still feel that way to a certain extent, but I understand the pally way of doing things a bit better now. But still, there have to be some situations where you need crowd control, where the mobs just hit you too hard to deal with too many at one time, right? No reason to look down on crowd control.
Absolutely. Good crowd control is great. I don't tend to like hunter CC as much as some others because it means I'll need to not use AS at the start (or be very careful of who I mark trap) but there are plenty of cases where I want someone else to deal with some random mob that hits just way too hard. I'm mostly thinking heroics here.

Depends on the gear level and the pull, but CC can be just fine.

<=====giant pussy
kalbear

Postby Wachter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:46 pm

Read my sig pretty please

~kthx
Ulushnar wrote:If the enemy gets too close, then I whip out the Combat shotgun from 'neath my Kilt.
Wachter

Postby Khepera » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm

I use CC a lot actually. I usually run with 2-3 mages and having those to sheeps are quite handy when we are always having to pug a healer. but once I see the healer is doing their job I use less and less CC.

as said before, good CC = awesome. Bad CC= Biggest annoyance next to PvPing against Warlocks

Still my favorite thing to here is my mage friends say "I will never run Heroic Shattered halls with a warrior tank again"

-Khep :)
Khepera

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats